Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 180274 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:54 AM »

As usual I have no idea what you are talking about with these brand names and saber/sword types.  Still enjoying this thread and am slowly learning.  Smiley

points to Darth Tepes and Molina and another to Hansrad and Viv for their most recent contributions  Cool

In terms of Western Swords, if you want to learn a bit about the types there is the Oakshott Typology.  A historian (named Oakshott) did extensive research on the swords of the West up through the late middle ages (I believe).  There is a small minority that feel it is very limited but Oakshott himself commented that it was a list of the most commonly found swords.  Here is a link presented by Albion Swords, a very well respected sword manufacturer in the HEMA community (as well as very expensive)

https://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:33 AM »

I just checked them out since you mentioned it.  They do have some nice looking stuff, but the only thing I want for my LotR collection at this point is Boromir's sword just because I'm kind of a Boromir nut.  

Great choice ... and wow now that you mention Boromir's sword, even though I haven't looked around lots lately, I don't remember seeing it available anywhere really.

Now I'm curious and I'm going to look around a bit, if I see anything interesting price wise I'll let you know.

You gotten get the U.C. version though Smiley

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:39 AM »

Of the LoTR swords I always wanted to pick up a Glamdring. My collecting days kind of ran out before I ever got around to it.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:00 AM »

I've got a good few swords. I have Glamdring and the Witch King's sword from Lord of the Rings, as well as a cheap crappy claymore. I also have a Nodachi, a big six foot long katana that I like to use for training with, and then a regular katana with a black and red blade that, aside from my ultrasabers, is the only real combat-worthy sword I have.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2017, 05:36:44 AM »

I just checked them out since you mentioned it.  They do have some nice looking stuff, but the only thing I want for my LotR collection at this point is Boromir's sword just because I'm kind of a Boromir nut. 

Well I looked for a little while tonight and the only place that even pretends to have one in stock is here -

http://www.swordsdirect.com/boromir-sword.html

It feels like a sketchy store but I figure it's something to looks at.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »

Well I looked for a little while tonight and the only place that even pretends to have one in stock is here -

http://www.swordsdirect.com/boromir-sword.html

It feels like a sketchy store but I figure it's something to looks at.

I definitely want the UC version rather than the cheap knockoffs that just look like cheap knockoffs, but the price tag on the eBay listings is ridiculous.  I'll have to check that site out later, it's blocked at work.  Stupid work wifi not letting me look at weapon sites.   Roll Eyes

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:31 AM »

Hi.  I am trying to purchase a Scimitar 32" long sword that is balanced for belly dancing.  Can't seem to find one on line in Canada.  Even a practice one would be okay as I'm not that confidently skilled yet and I don't want to poke my or anyone else's eye out.  Something not too heavy.  Any suggestions and thanks.  Cheesy

Will address my previous other responses tomorrow or later tonight and thanks for those.  Smiley

Apologizes for such a big photo... unsuccessfully could not make it smaller.  Wink

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »

Hi.  I am trying to purchase a Scimitar 32" long sword that is balanced for belly dancing.  Can't seem to find one on line in Canada.  Even a practice one would be okay as I'm not that confidently skilled yet and I don't want to poke my or anyone else's eye out.  Something not too heavy.  Any suggestions and thanks.  Cheesy

Will address my previous other responses tomorrow or later tonight and thanks for those.  Smiley

As far as scimitars, there's a few I've found that might possibly meet requirements. (not sure about weight)

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS88SYS/cold-steel-88sys-scimitar-32-inch-carbon-steel-blade-black-leather-scabbard

The next one is more of a stage combat piece (so it's blunted).
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=FA12&name=Fabri+Armorum+Heavy+Combat+Scimitar+Cutlass+%2D+Training+Grade

Just finding this thread. I will have to post pics of my collection later.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »

Thanks so much Benji.  I think that I saw the Cold Steel one offered on Amazon.ca but it's really sharp !

I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, although Cult of Athena is a good place to shop so I hear.

Am looking at purchasing a prop type one from someone in Vancouver... but they are difficult to get and no one wants to either sell or lend out.  There is an Egyptian shop here and apparently 6 belly dancing schools in Victoria although I only know of 3 main ones.  Would have to wait till he makes his once a year trip to Egypt to buy more dancing stock.

But I thought... wouldn't it be so cool and unique if I could use a lightsaber and one of those plexi-glass lit blades !

Sorry getting way off topic... but perhaps not.  A sword doesn't have to be made mostly from metal.  Wonder if the blade would shatter if I dropped it... as in sliding off my head.  I'm a klutz at all the wrong times. lol   Roll Eyes

point for your help  Smiley

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »

Kult of Athena definitely qualifies as a reputable seller of quality merchandise.

So, let's see:

http://www.bellydance.com/Swords_c_119.html

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SW665 this even has a video to go with it.

http://www.kultofathena.com/swords-dance.asp That's their main page for swords balanced for what you're looking to do. I'm not sure what you're considering price wise, and of course there's the exchange rate, but to me, the ones in the $40-$60 price range are what I would consider reasonable.

And if you haven't found this yet, it may be helpful to you: http://bellydanceforums.net/threads/19033-Looking-for-a-Beginner-Bellydance-Sword (even a post or two from Canada!).

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »

In terms of Western Swords, if you want to learn a bit about the types there is the Oakshott Typology.  A historian (named Oakshott) did extensive research on the swords of the West up through the late middle ages (I believe).  There is a small minority that feel it is very limited but Oakshott himself commented that it was a list of the most commonly found swords.  Here is a link presented by Albion Swords, a very well respected sword manufacturer in the HEMA community (as well as very expensive)

https://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm

Thanks so much for this info.  I  watch Skallagrim on YouTube quite regularly and am learning lots about knives, swords, armor and fighting styles.

Another person's site well worth checking out is The Sword's Path.  Sorry I don't know how to link these for an easier find.

point  Smiley

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »

Alright then Dauntless, here's a couple you'll probably recognize.

Now these awesome beauties are a way to get this girl's heart racing !  Shocked

Was going to post a photo of my Cold Steel practice swords but photobucket is not working for me again.  Roll Eyes

thanks so much for the share & point  Cool

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »

Thanks so much for this info.  I  watch Skallagrim on YouTube quite regularly and am learning lots about knives, swords, armor and fighting styles.

Another person's site well worth checking out is The Sword's Path.  Sorry I don't know how to link these for an easier find.

point  Smiley

I watch Skall as well, another good channel is Scholagladitoria.  Matt Easton has a Couple of  decades of HEMA and Archaeology under his belt and you can glean much from his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria

Currently I am training in Messer combat, unfortunately its by myself with a DVD.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

thanks again Smiley

If you go to The Swords Path and look at Jedi Tricks... it's quite good and instructional.  Cool

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but just can't put the site or his video on to this Forum.  Cry

I think that Skall and wife might be living in the Victoria area now.  Don't know if it's just me but... I am regretful to say that I can't stand any of the videos that include his wife.  She irritates me alot !   Angry lol

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »

thanks again Smiley

If you go to The Swords Path and look at Jedi Tricks... it's quite good and instructional.  Cool

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but just can't put the site or his video on to this Forum.  Cry

I think that Skall and wife might be living in the Victoria area now.  Don't know if it's just me but... I am regretful to say that I can't stand any of the videos that include his wife.  She irritates me alot !   Angry lol

LOL  why may I ask?

I have actually perused Sword Path's videos.  Hate to say it but I don't really care for the Lightsaber training vids...by anyone.  They all focus on flourishes and that just isn't my cup of tea. 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: