Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: One of the most powerful attacks you can pull off  (Read 1746 times)
Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« on: September 26, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »

Hello! It's episode 5 of Lightspeed Saber League's New Move Monday, where every Monday we share some great moves for you to try out in the field! We're now halfway through our first season and we thought we'd share a big one with you all: the Switch-lunge. This one was actually kind of hard to describe, as we have a lot of different variations based on the same footwork. We ultimately distilled it down into this simple to learn action, but showed some of the advanced application in the end-video examples.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TfMqy2k01w&amp;list=PLCMyxWzNT0g1GQIgjC4y-_OymcXMMy6E7&amp;index=5" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TfMqy2k01w&amp;list=PLCMyxWzNT0g1GQIgjC4y-_OymcXMMy6E7&amp;index=5</a>

This is personally one of my favorite moves, but I'm not even the league's most prolific user. This is our man Eli's bread and butter and he earns oohs and ahhs from the crowd with every point.

As always our moves are specialized to use of the Lightspeed blade. If you are using any other blade, please exercise extreme caution. Remember, it's never worth hurting anyone over.

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:16:36 AM »

Just to stay true to expectations:
This is called a Gran Passo in Bolognese fencing.  Wink

I just don't get the "switch" part (a question of nomenclature, basically). As you are essentially making a long passing step, you're switching the leading foot there also, don't you?

In Bolognese fencing, we have the "cambiare di piede", where one foot is retracted besides the other and then the other is brought forward, so there's a real "switch" of the feet in place (more or less). Something similar is used in your Slipcut.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:40:09 AM »

Just to stay true to expectations:
This is called a Gran Passo in Bolognese fencing.  Wink

I just don't get the "switch" part (a question of nomenclature, basically). As you are essentially making a long passing step, you're switching the leading foot there also, don't you?

In Bolognese fencing, we have the "cambiare di piede", where one foot is retracted besides the other and then the other is brought forward, so there's a real "switch" of the feet in place (more or less). Something similar is used in your Slipcut.

I think it is best described as a hybrid between the Gran Passo and the Cambiare di Piede. A passing step is made, but the front foot recedes, but only enough to place the weight of the body quickly over or past the leading foot. So unlike the Cambiare, it does not recede all the way back to meet the trailing foot.

I have not used the full foot switch as you describe, so I cannot compare. But in my practical development, I have found that attacking off a Switch-step is faster than attacking off a passing step. It may be dependent on your stance, however. If your stance is very narrow, the results could be different. What do you think?

This may be due to my personal training, but in my mind the action has more in common with the flunge, as the body weight is thrown forward and power is generated from both legs while placed relatively close to eachother.

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

It may be dependent on your stance, however.
Everything depends on your stance, that's why I have two different ones in Form I and II for Functional Fiction.  Wink
This move is really good from a forward-oriented stance, where you can pivot over your leading foot. Doing it from a more evenly balanced stance or a backward-oriented one (like classical sabre) requires weight shifting, which results in a slower step.
From this stance (evenly balanced), often I use a jumping motion to compensate.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »

Very cool, great demo.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: