Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Spoiler-Heavy The Last Jedi Review and Questions **SPOILERS**  (Read 20211 times)
Lord Vaalic
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »

This movie was terrible, not just as a Star Wars chapter, but as a movie in general.

I say this as someone who likes the prequels, I think TLJ is by far the worst of the series.

There is no way Luke would ignore a plea for help from Chewie and his sister while everything they fought for is trashed by the First Order, no way. They turned Hux into a bumbling 3 Stooges villain, a total joke of a character. The jokes were lame and out of place. Holdo was an idiot, plain and simple. They just throw away so many rules of the SW universe, etc etc. Snoke was an awesome character, what an ass, an arrogant mean powerful guy, who just dies like he's stormtrooper #415 or some secondary character.

Its OK that Rey is nobody, but not after they build up who she is in Episode 7, her whole vision is just nothing now. This movie does nothing to advance the story, except to kill off a couple of characters.

There is no light side, there is no dark side. There is only the force. Jedi and Sith are two sides of the same coin. One paralyzed by fear of emotion, and one ruled and destroyed by it.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 05:46:37 AM »

One point. Yoda destroyed the tree (force ghost appropriate or not) and the Jedi texts telling Luke essentially "That library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." because if you pay attention, she took the books with her. Yoda was speaking literally. He destroyed a tree. Nothing else. When Fin opens a drawer on the Falcon to get Rose a blanket you can see the texts.

O.K. two points. In the cave scene Rey was VERY clearly talking about it with Kylo, not narrating.
Never mind. I'm done trying to get people to understand why this was a great movie period, let alone one of the best Star Wars movies because of breaking these so called "rules" of Star Wars films. If you want the exact same thing over and over without being challenged or surprised, I suggest re-watching 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 for eternity.

Alright, three points. Who is Snoke? I answer this with a question. Without the prequels who was the "Emperor"? He was never even referred to as Pallpatine or Darth Sidious in the OT. I am not talking about EU as that is not my place, I am strictly speaking about the films. Hey, wouldn't it be great and super original if he was still alive for the next and last movie of this trilogy so he could hit Rey with force lightning and Kylo could save her by sacrificing himself at the last minute? BORING!

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:46 AM »

Hell with it. Here goes. These are just my mostly humble opinions.

"Well, here’s all the questions I got from my text:"
1.   Why didn’t the super bombers have decent controls or tactics?
They are a rag tag group of rebels using what they have. Who knows how old those ships are?
2.   Was this the entire rebel fleet?
That was the impression I got.
3.   Why is there so much plot armor for the main characters?
Movies. This is how they generally work.
4.   Why does the new admiral keep Poe in the dark?
She has issues. She sucks at her job. Is she lame? Yep. Again this is how movies work.If every character is perfect and easy to understand things get boring. She pissed me off for sure, yet her kamikaze move showed what she was really about.
5.   Why did Finn become a coward again only to become a hero again?
He has only known the kindness of three people Poe, Rey and Han. Han is dead, Poe is fine without him. Last thing he saw was Rey (who he believes needs protecting) being thrown up against a tree by Kylo (he never saw her take him on at all) therefore she is his main concern.
6.   What is Rose?
An all around bad ass.
7.   What was accomplished with the Finn/Rose plot?
Failure. Like Yoda said "the greatest teacher Failure is" at least they tried is my take away. Did Luke not fail in Episode 5? He cut short his training to face Vader and turn him. Instead, he did not turn him or defeat him, he even lost his arm trying. OOPS!
8.   How did Finn learn to pilot a craft?
He obviously was not a Tie-Fighter pilot, but do you think he learned nothing being a storm trooper?
9.   How did the code-breaker know about the cloaked ships?
All I can say to this is pay attention. Roll Eyes
10.   What was going on in the Shadow Cave?
Seriously? Umm... pay attention?
11.   Why did Kylo Ren kill Snoke?
Because he was sick of being used as a pawn, and saw an opportunity to take his place.
12.   Who was Snoke, and will we ever find out now?
Again, who was the Emperor before the prequels?
13.   What was the point of having Rey’s parents be nobodies?
This is a big one for me. The point was made by Skywalker himself. Anyone could be force sensitive. To think that the force belongs to a certain family or only those with a high midichlorian count is pure arrogance. It's also boring.  
14.   What happened to all the TIE fighters following the Falcon?
Pew pew pew. Wink
15.   What was the point of the planet being a salt planet?
What was the point of Hoth being an ice planet.
16.   Why did Luke become one with The Force?
His last act took all of his mental and physical strength, and the fact that it was done selflessly brought him peace and closure.  
17.   How did Yoda control the Force?  In the originals, all the Force Ghosts could do is give advice.
I do not have an answer for this other than powers beyond death evolving for Jedi. This might be the best question and better answered by someone with a better knowledge of the EU than myself.
18.   Why was Yoda encouraging Luke to end the Jedi?  That’s not in his nature.
Again, he knows Rey has the texts. And he speaks cryptically (i don't mean backwards). He responds to the question posed by Luke "So it IS time for the Jedi to end?" by saying "Time it is, for you to let go of some old books" or something like that. He never actually says "END THE JEDI."  
19.   Is the kid at the end going to be important to the Rebellion in Episode 9?
Probably not specifically. The point is he and others like him will be inspired by what Luke and the rebellion did that day. Keep in mind the majority of the galaxy has no idea Luke was not really there, or that he is gone.
20.   What happens to Leia in Episode 9, now that Carrie Fisher is no longer with us?
All I have to say about that is R.I.P. Carrie Fisher. I hope they handle that with great care and class.

Sorry if I sound defensive. I personally loved the movie and have seen it at least 12 times. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I only get upset by one thing:
WHY DOES LUKE SAY "LASER SWORD"HuhHuh??!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

Now I have to go watch it again. lucky 13th time. Wink
MTFBWYA

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »

One point. Yoda destroyed the tree (force ghost appropriate or not) and the Jedi texts telling Luke essentially "That library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." because if you pay attention, she took the books with her. Yoda was speaking literally. He destroyed a tree. Nothing else. When Fin opens a drawer on the Falcon to get Rose a blanket you can see the texts.

O.K. two points. In the cave scene Rey was VERY clearly talking about it with Kylo, not narrating.
Never mind. I'm done trying to get people to understand why this was a great movie period, let alone one of the best Star Wars movies because of breaking these so called "rules" of Star Wars films. If you want the exact same thing over and over without being challenged or surprised, I suggest re-watching 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 for eternity.

Alright, three points. Who is Snoke? I answer this with a question. Without the prequels who was the "Emperor"? He was never even referred to as Pallpatine or Darth Sidious in the OT. I am not talking about EU as that is not my place, I am strictly speaking about the films. Hey, wouldn't it be great and super original if he was still alive for the next and last movie of this trilogy so he could hit Rey with force lightning and Kylo could save her by sacrificing himself at the last minute? BORING!

Hell with it. Here goes. These are just my mostly humble opinions.

"Well, here’s all the questions I got from my text:"
1.   Why didn’t the super bombers have decent controls or tactics?
They are a rag tag group of rebels using what they have. Who knows how old those ships are?
2.   Was this the entire rebel fleet?
That was the impression I got.
3.   Why is there so much plot armor for the main characters?
Movies. This is how they generally work.
4.   Why does the new admiral keep Poe in the dark?
She has issues. She sucks at her job. Is she lame? Yep. Again this is how movies work.If every character is perfect and easy to understand things get boring. She pissed me off for sure, yet her kamikaze move showed what she was really about.
5.   Why did Finn become a coward again only to become a hero again?
He has only known the kindness of three people Poe, Rey and Han. Han is dead, Poe is fine without him. Last thing he saw was Rey (who he believes needs protecting) being thrown up against a tree by Kylo (he never saw her take him on at all) therefore she is his main concern.
6.   What is Rose?
An all around bad ass.
7.   What was accomplished with the Finn/Rose plot?
Failure. Like Yoda said "the greatest teacher Failure is" at least they tried is my take away. Did Luke not fail in Episode 5? He cut short his training to face Vader and turn him. Instead, he did not turn him or defeat him, he even lost his arm trying. OOPS!
8.   How did Finn learn to pilot a craft?
He obviously was not a Tie-Fighter pilot, but do you think he learned nothing being a storm trooper?
9.   How did the code-breaker know about the cloaked ships?
All I can say to this is pay attention. Roll Eyes
10.   What was going on in the Shadow Cave?
Seriously? Umm... pay attention?
11.   Why did Kylo Ren kill Snoke?
Because he was sick of being used as a pawn, and saw an opportunity to take his place.
12.   Who was Snoke, and will we ever find out now?
Again, who was the Emperor before the prequels?
13.   What was the point of having Rey’s parents be nobodies?
This is a big one for me. The point was made by Skywalker himself. Anyone could be force sensitive. To think that the force belongs to a certain family or only those with a high midichlorian count is pure arrogance. It's also boring. 
14.   What happened to all the TIE fighters following the Falcon?
Pew pew pew. Wink
15.   What was the point of the planet being a salt planet?
What was the point of Hoth being an ice planet.
16.   Why did Luke become one with The Force?
His last act took all of his mental and physical strength, and the fact that it was done selflessly brought him peace and closure. 
17.   How did Yoda control the Force?  In the originals, all the Force Ghosts could do is give advice.
I do not have an answer for this other than powers beyond death evolving for Jedi. This might be the best question and better answered by someone with a better knowledge of the EU than myself.
18.   Why was Yoda encouraging Luke to end the Jedi?  That’s not in his nature.
Again, he knows Rey has the texts. And he speaks cryptically (i don't mean backwards). He responds to the question posed by Luke "So it IS time for the Jedi to end?" by saying "Time it is, for you to let go of some old books" or something like that. He never actually says "END THE JEDI."   
19.   Is the kid at the end going to be important to the Rebellion in Episode 9?
Probably not specifically. The point is he and others like him will be inspired by what Luke and the rebellion did that day. Keep in mind the majority of the galaxy has no idea Luke was not really there, or that he is gone.
20.   What happens to Leia in Episode 9, now that Carrie Fisher is no longer with us?
All I have to say about that is R.I.P. Carrie Fisher. I hope they handle that with great care and class.

Sorry if I sound defensive. I personally loved the movie and have seen it at least 12 times. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I only get upset by one thing:
WHY DOES LUKE SAY "LASER SWORD"HuhHuh??!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

Now I have to go watch it again. lucky 13th time. Wink
MTFBWYA

That you. While it is not my favorite SW movie, it is certainly not the worst (that belongs to AOTC). This was truly a decent SW movie, unless you are Logos of LAK (or quite a few other people). As to why Luke called the Lightsaber a "Laser Sword", that it a throw back to GL's original script. He had originally intended to call them laser swords, and Rian wanted to do some more references, and that was one. Just like Vader's castle in R1. That was based off of original concept art, and they found a way to work it in. Also, why does nobody question it when Anakin says "laser sword" in TPM, but they have such a huge problem with it in TLJ?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »

That you. While it is not my favorite SW movie, it is certainly not the worst (that belongs to AOTC). This was truly a decent SW movie, unless you are Logos of LAK (or quite a few other people). As to why Luke called the Lightsaber a "Laser Sword", that it a throw back to GL's original script. He had originally intended to call them laser swords, and Rian wanted to do some more references, and that was one. Just like Vader's castle in R1. That was based off of original concept art, and they found a way to work it in. Also, why does nobody question it when Anakin says "laser sword" in TPM, but they have such a huge problem with it in TLJ?

Good job. Smiley I just wanted to see if someone else knew the reference. Points! I DID question it in TPM. I felt like it was Rian making fun of George in TLJ. I disliked it both times, but at least with young Anakin it was a really young kid, not an old Jedi Master. Either way, it just made me go "huh?" for a second. It does nothing to ruin the movies for me. Could you imagine a world where we came here to talk about "Laser Swords"? I'm not sure I would want one.......Ok I would still totally want one. Wink

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »

Good job. Smiley I just wanted to see if someone else knew the reference. Points! I DID question it in TPM. I felt like it was Rian making fun of George in TLJ. I disliked it both times, but at least with young Anakin it was a really young kid, not an old Jedi Master. Either way, it just made me go "huh?" for a second. It does nothing to ruin the movies for me. Could you imagine a world where we came here to talk about "Laser Swords"? I'm not sure I would want one.......Ok I would still totally want one. Wink

I just realized that I started that post with "That you."  It was supposed to be "Thank you".

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »

I just realized that I started that post with "That you."  It was supposed to be "Thank you".

I figured thank. Smiley That you too. Grin

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »

Well said Lord Vaalic, I agree.  Angry Angry Rouge One is best Disney star wars movie IMO. They just ruined the other two.  Angry Angry
They should have just called it star wars the next generation if they were going to do what ever the frick they wanted to.  Angry Angry

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »

Well said Lord Vaalic, I agree.  Angry Angry Rouge One is best Disney star wars movie IMO. They just ruined the other two.  Angry Angry
They should have just called it star wars the next generation if they were going to do what ever the frick they wanted to.  Angry Angry

Agreed. Enjoy this delightful video that covers the incompetence of the Military (on both sides) in TLJ.
Thanks for the laughs Logos  Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqLQvTbo-Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqLQvTbo-Y</a>

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 10:06:32 PM »

Agreed. Enjoy this delightful video that covers the incompetence of the Military (on both sides) in TLJ.
Thanks for the laughs Logos  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqLQvTbo-Y

Wow! So this is funny because the guy narrating is color blind and can't tell the difference between pink and purple? Or is it funny because he made a half hour video breakdown of bad military tactics in a series of movies that has sound in space, flames in space, and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) bolts that can be seen by the naked eye while traveling slower than light? If it's all of the above, Hilarious. Wink

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -39

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 10:25:48 PM »

and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) bolts that can be seen by the naked eye while traveling slower than light? If it's all of the above, Hilarious. Wink
You are aware that most weapons in Starwars are plasma based?
With the most notable exceptions seen on screen in the movies Chewies bow caster, which normaly is more or less a rail gun, and Luke's slugthrower that gets split in half by a tusken raider before it can fire even once.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 10:31:42 PM »

With the most notable exceptions seen on screen in the movies Chewies bow caster, which normaly is more or less a rail gun, and Luke's slugthrower that gets split in half by a tusken raider before it can fire even once.

Yes i am. Wookiepedia describes blasters as "Operating under the same principles as laser weaponry".  They must not know what they are talking about.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »

And as for rail guns:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrQciFL0ig" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrQciFL0ig</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »

Wow! So this is funny because the guy narrating is color blind and can't tell the difference between pink and purple? Or is it funny because he made a half hour video breakdown of bad military tactics in a series of movies that has sound in space, flames in space, and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) bolts that can be seen by the naked eye while traveling slower than light? If it's all of the above, Hilarious. Wink

I have come to the realization that it isn't worth talking about our opinions about TFA and TLJ on here, because nobody seems to care anyways. You and I are in the minority that actually liked these two movies (on this forum at least), and any time we talk about why we liked them, someone comes and pretty much disses our opinion, but they will never explain why they do not like them. I have pretty much stopped talking about these two movies on here because of it.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »

I have come to the realization that it isn't worth talking about our opinions about TFA and TLJ on here, because nobody seems to care anyways. You and I are in the minority that actually liked these two movies (on this forum at least), and any time we talk about why we liked them, someone comes and pretty much disses our opinion, but they will never explain why they do not like them. I have pretty much stopped talking about these two movies on here because of it.

I have to agree. This is why I almost just left it alone in the first place. But It's kinda funny, for now. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: