Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt Decision/Whick Hilt should I buy?  (Read 3794 times)
22ms
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 20, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »

Hi!

I'm about to buy a saber, but I can't decide which hilt I should choose..

I want it to be good at handling, good for small hands but also useful with two hands and it should work with a Li-Ion Setup and a Tri-Cree CG. Is the Initiate V3 the best/a good choice? Is there a better choice I could make?

Thanks!

Edit: I also want to do tricks with it and use it for a very long time, it's my first real lightsaber!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »

The Initiate V3 is a very good hilt.  Very agile.  I would also recommend checking out the Aeon V3 or V4.  Those are also exceptional handling. 

Here's a picture of an Initiate V3 and Aeon V3 side-by-side.  NOTE:  The Initiate V3 has a Consular pommel on it, which I would HIGHLY recommend as it adds just a bit of length and makes the hilt suitable for two-handed grips.

Two other excellent hilts to consider, though, for handling.  The Catalyst - it is nicely sized, same diameter as the Initiate V3 and has an EXCELLENT choke point for handling.  I have two which I also join in a staff.  These are "Dark Catalyst" but they also come in silver.

And my absolute go-to for dueling and spinning - the Aeon V4.  Which I have painted the grooves on for a "reverse LE" effect.  The Aeon V3 (side-by-side with the Initiate V3) is also an excellent hilt.  Here's my Aeon V4 which has an Archon pommel next to a Dominix V4 LE (same hilt, dark color) with a Renegade Small LE pommel. 

For pure effect, if you're doing CG, I would recommend either the dark catalyst or the Dominix V4 LE with an Archon pommel.  Looks great, awesome balance, and the green blade in the dark hilt is absolutely amazing.
And you can get the Archon pommel with a "D" ring, just ask for the "Version 3.1" pommel in the comments.  That way you can hang it on your belt without the covertec wheel if you don't want to go that route.  Though the covertec looks good as well, just get the silver one.  :-)

Hope this helps some!

Karmack

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

22ms
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »

Thank you!

Definitely going to buy the Initiate V3, because it's in the price range I'm looking for. I would have taken a look at the Initiate V4, Apprentice or some other hilts in the price range of the Initiate V3. Is the Initiate V3 the best choice out of that price range, compared to others like I said?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »

I haven't actually wielded a v3, but I would definitely look into the Apprentice. It is my personal favorite at the moment, and can do everything that you require of it. But from what I've heard, the v3 is also a great saber.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »

Thank you!

Definitely going to buy the Initiate V3, because it's in the price range I'm looking for. I would have taken a look at the Initiate V4, Apprentice or some other hilts in the price range of the Initiate V3. Is the Initiate V3 the best choice out of that price range, compared to others like I said?

I like the V3 Initiate more than the V4...

One thing to consider: the intitate comes with a 24" blade.  If you upgrade the blade to a 32" or 36" length (32" is the best, IMHO) you have to lay out another $10.    For that, you can upgrade to the Aeon V4 or V3, or the Sentinel.  Just something to bear in mind.  :-)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »

I like the V3 Initiate more than the V4...

One thing to consider: the intitate comes with a 24" blade.  If you upgrade the blade to a 32" or 36" length (32" is the best, IMHO) you have to lay out another $10.    For that, you can upgrade to the Aeon V4 or V3, or the Sentinel.  Just something to bear in mind.  :-)

They're definitely quite different, oddly enough.  I find the V3 to be a little more practical, while the V4 has a more interesting visual design (which makes it seem less plain).  I've always particularly liked the Dark LE versions, with the silver rings that pop against the black hilt.

Either way, you'll be good.  Initiates are solid little hilts, and the V3/V4 are sized to be extremely versatile.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »

I have the Sentinel V4 and the Dominix V4 (both in LE), and I have to say, as much as I love the looks of the Dominix, the Sentinel is just plain comfy in my big, bear paw hands.  As has been said, if you want to get the longer blade, you might consider jumping up to the Sentinel or Aeon/Dominix, though you might like the shorter hilt versions. 

The Initiate V3 is a very good hilt.  Very agile.  I would also recommend checking out the Aeon V3 or V4.  Those are also exceptional handling. 

Here's a picture of an Initiate V3 and Aeon V3 side-by-side.  NOTE:  The Initiate V3 has a Consular pommel on it, which I would HIGHLY recommend as it adds just a bit of length and makes the hilt suitable for two-handed grips.

Are those hilts gold tone, or is that a lighting trick?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

22ms
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 09:06:29 PM »

I now have to decide between the Apprentice V4 and the Initiate V3.. Which one is better for my uses?

And btw. I wanna buy the "silver" version, not the dark. You think it fits with the color green?

Thank you for all your help!

Edit: I looked at the Aeon V3 and noticed, that it isn't more expensive than the Initiate because I don't have to pay for the 32" blade.  Is the Aeon V3 the best choice for my uses? Arrghh I can't decide! xD

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

If you're looking at a two-handed grip, go for the Aeon. The v3 Aeon is generally regarded as a great duelling hilt, so I doubt you'll be disappointed with your choice if you go for that.

A green blade will look tremendous on a silver hilt Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »

I now have to decide between the Apprentice V4 and the Initiate V3.. Which one is better for my uses?

And btw. I wanna buy the "silver" version, not the dark. You think it fits with the color green?

Thank you for all your help!

Edit: I looked at the Aeon V3 and noticed, that it isn't more expensive than the Initiate because I don't have to pay for the 32" blade.  Is the Aeon V3 the best choice for my uses? Arrghh I can't decide! xD

Buy the Aeon V3!  You will not be disappointed.  Smiley

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »

Initiate V3 is okay, one of my buddies daughters has a Dark Initiate V3 LE saber. I like the longer version better though. But the V4 is best, as people have said one with an Archon pommel would look really nice I think Tongue Plus would probably be about in the same price range too. You can easily spin with a V4 even with that added extra upper grip section

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 11:04:58 PM »

I have the Sentinel V4 and the Dominix V4 (both in LE), and I have to say, as much as I love the looks of the Dominix, the Sentinel is just plain comfy in my big, bear paw hands.  As has been said, if you want to get the longer blade, you might consider jumping up to the Sentinel or Aeon/Dominix, though you might like the shorter hilt versions. 

Are those hilts gold tone, or is that a lighting trick?

That's a trick of the light.  They're silver.  The dark rings on the Aeon V3 are painted, Testor's Model Master Acrylic "Gunmetal".  The only mods on the Initiate is the Catalyst pommel, the pommel on the Aeon V3 is actually from an Aeon V4.  I like the rounded edge on the V4 pommel, and since my V4 is using an Archon pommel I put the V4 pommel on the V3 instead.  :-)

22ms
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »

Okay, thank you all for your help. I know I should be able to make a decision, but I'm not. So my final question is:

Based on my preferences and my body height (4"12,) which one should I buy? Apprentice, Initiate, Aeon, Dominix or Sentinal?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: