Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Legacy of the Aether  (Read 72233 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 430

« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:35 PM »

Thanks guys it's been a blast to write so far. Kiraea is divisive, basically represents  them with absolutely zero filter or sense of restraint (except when absolutely necessary) and a deep love for her people (but no one else)  it's what makes her fun to write about nothing is too outrageous. A counter to Valens dour strategic thinking

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »

Chapter 26
Sofa
She stared into the mirror analysing her face…but this time it wasn’t to see where she needed some makeup…it was to confirm that she still didn’t need it anymore. 

It had been four weeks since she’d woken from her coma, Milaea was due to arrive back from assignment with Valens soon, and Soryu off with a task force hunting the man who had almost killed her on Cygrat…the wound to her pride was the only remaining pain from that fight…

In fact none of her injuries had hurt at all…and as she looked into the mirror her face was still…younger…she couldn’t believe it, she checked every morning…and the mirror never lied…her body felt lighter, stronger, her skin firmer, muscles stronger...everything felt younger and toned…uh Vanity Soryu would’ve chided her!

Kougal hadn’t been able to explain her recovery…she didn’t care though, she brushed a little pink onto her lips and tied back her straight jet black hair…even that felt stronger and thicker – and not a split end in sight! –

“Sofa it is not becoming of a Jedi Master to be so concerned about your appearance” she mimicked Soryu with a giggle, as well as his only apprentice she had the dubious distinction of being the only one who could get on the sympathetic and good natured Soryu's nerves. 

She checked her chronometer, Milaea should be arriving soon.  She chucked on her robe and tightened it…it was a size too big now…she must’ve lost weight when she was in the coma…

It seemed to be a terrible habit of hers getting into comas. 

As she did up her boots she reflected…she couldn’t remember much but had a vague sense the three people she was closest too had all visited her…and someone had arranged for fresh flowers and get well cards to be delivered to her bedside twice a day for the whole time, they were still coming in fact...whoever had ordered them hadn’t told them to stop yet…it could only be Valens, he often bought her gifts like that…she still had no idea where got the credits though.

She picked up her lightsabre and clipped it to her belt, it had taken a dent in her fight…battle scars she mused…
************************************************************************************************************

Sofa raced down the halls to the hangar, she could sense her apprentice was near…and feeling troubled.  She hoped it didn’t affect her progress, as soon as she had woken up she had written to Kimar to formally request she undergo the trials… to little surprise Kimar replied that Soryu had already suggested as much, hence why he had sent her with Valens.

As she turned into the East hangar she saw the Andis lowering its ramp whilst still hovering, Milaea dropped off the end carrying a heavy crate with a concerned expression that matched her aura.  The ship gently landed.

“Mili,” she ran over and hugged her apprentice, dropping her crate with an unusually heavy clang Milaea hugged her back.

“So glad you’re ok,” Milaea said as they parted.  Valens stalked out the shadows of the ship behind them, a queer expression on his face…like always he was completely unreadable…a ghost in the force. 

“Didn’t get up to too much trouble did you?” she asked optimistically,

They didn’t look at each other but something strange passed in the force between Milaea and Valens, Sofa decided to ask them separately,

“Mili why don’t you head to the kitchens, get something to eat, I need to talk to Valens,” 

She nodded, picked up her crate and headed off,

Sofa strode up to Valens with deliberate firm steps, hands on her hips,

“What happened,” she instantly realised she sounded like a frumpy housewife berating him for coming home late.

“There were some…deaths…,” he replied quietly

“Some?” she leaned forward…ever more like an angry housewife she thought…

“Dozens…” he glanced behind Sofa to Milaea, “She was fine before and when it was happening…she took a hit, knocked out for a little bit…when she came to and started to really process it….she felt…feels...guilty about what happened,” 

She softened her stance and stepped forward…but he leaned back and cast a quick glance toward a group working on a fighter across the bay, ‘not here’ was the clear message.

She could see from his expression he wasn’t happy about whatever had happened either…but he was right…this was not the place to comfort him, and Milaea needed her more.

“Later then,” she replied to a sentence he hadn’t spoken flashing him a coy smile,

“You look better Sofa, I hope you liked the flowers…” he said shyly…he had such a dichotomy…at one moment serious and mysterious…and then sometimes so fragile and uncertain.

“I did…I’ll thank you later,”

She mouthed ‘I love you’ then headed off.
************************************************************************************************************
They sat on Sofa’s bed as they had a million times before, Milaea’s new armour strewn across the floor, as she told her all that had happened.

“When I woke up we were gone but somehow…I could see…I knew…he’d piled all the bodies up…there were…so many…just…flopping there…dripping…” she looked down at her hands…”It was horrible…but worse to know I had done it,”

Sofa didn’t have much to say to that…but she was the master.

“Sometimes…” she was making this up as she went along, “You just have do what you have to do…there are some people who just can’t see reason, who won’t back down from their beliefs…and are just too dangerous…part of a Jedi’s role is sometimes removing those people for the good of everyone else…its hard and painful thing…” 

So hard and painful she was amazed Milaea had been able to go through with it, Sofa did not envy her that choice.

“But that…that’s the sacrifice we make…we have to follow the council and the light, no matter if it conflicts with what seems easy and good in the moment,”  She could hardly believe what she was saying, she hoped Milaea couldn’t sense her confusion in the force,

“But we do it anyway, cause that is what we are trained to do…do what no one else can, and no one else would want to…and you still did it Mili,”

She didn’t sense much change in her but she stayed quiet for a while,

Perhaps some good news would lift her spirits,

“Master Kimar agreed you’re ready for the trials you know, once you’ve rested a few days I can have them start,”

Milaea kept looking down, her presence…distant…seems she had learnt a lot from Valens. 

“I’m not sure that’s good idea,” she said sadly, that shocked her,

“What…why not?”

“there’s something…I don’t understand it…but I can…do things…I see things…” she looked around the room like a child searching for monsters,

“Things I shouldn’t be able to…things no one should be able to…when you were hurt…I did something…I healed you…but I’d never used shatter point before…when I fought the Sith on Cygrat I used moves I’d never learned from anyone, let the lightning flow over me so naturally…something I’d never even seen before I could control…”  she was trembling, Sofa put her hand on her arms and felt the shaking.

“I saw things…in my room after that…people…the future…horrible things…when I woke up the entire room was wrecked.”  She was trembling almost violently now, Sofa tried to pour calm into the force, but it seemed to make no difference,

“My dreams are getting more and more real…it’s like memories,”  Sofa looked around the room…she began to realise it wasn’t Milaea shaking, it was the rest of the room,

“when I fought Valens and the Kage…I felt so much energy…no matter how hard they fought I fought back…I shouldn’t be able to do that…a Padawan shouldn’t be able to fight like that,” 

Milaea’s armour started clattering on the ground, Sofa’s small collection of perfume bottles clinked, a red pulse was pressing into her head,

“Mili…calm….”

“Something is happening to me, it’s not…it’s not right…part of me tells me to stop…but I can’t stop it…and I’m afraid…I’m afraid because I don’t want to…”

The vase with her flowers shattered, pieces of armour were floating off the floor.

“Mili…Mili stop!” she shrieked.

They both crashed down on the bed…she hadn’t even noticed they were floating above it till they landed.

Milaea looked like she was on the verge of crying,

“I told you…I told you…it’s…I don’t know…,”

Sofa sprang over to hug her, “It’s okay Mili, it’s okay…you’ve had a bad run that’s all…” she could feel Milaea’s tears seep through her tunic,

“You’ve had bad run…not even…not even Soryu has fought a Sith, then you’re sent straight to fight an entire cult…and not just fight them…infiltrate them, befriend them first,”  It was only now that it struck Sofa how unusual that was…had Kimar really ordered that? It seemed almost like…murder, betrayal…assassination

“The fact you’ve survived, and done all this…you’re more qualified than anyone to be a Jedi,” she took her head in her hands to look at her,

“You’re ready for this, you stopped an assassination on Chandrilla, fought a Sith, destroyed a dangerous cult…and how many other great things, these are some of the hardest things any Jedi I know of has ever had to do, and you’re not a knight today…but tomorrow you should be!”  she tried to be upbeat

“You think so,” Milaea asked quietly,

“I know so,” she said confidently, drawing the younger woman in with a kiss on the forehead.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1109

« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2018, 02:54:07 AM »

I like Sofa's comforting of Milaea; despite what the young padawan had done and Sofa's own uncertainty, she first and foremost does what she can to assuage her apprentice (and surrogate daughter).  The fact that both of the women have doubts does nothing to diminish their concern for one another.  And could Valens be developing feelings for Sofa?  After all, when you "pretend" at something for so long you might even accidentally start having "true" feelings...

Nice one LSG!  Keeps pulling on my feelings for Mili  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »

I love how you made the Mak'Tor out to be a cult in this one. Something that needed to be destroyed. Something, that even though it didn't follow the Dark Side per se, it was still evil. I mean, I know from Karm's stories that that isn't true, but seeing it from a Jedi's point of view, that was cool. And yes, lots of interesting developments. Both happening, and going to happen. Like TD, my hopes for Mili are still high.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »

I love how you made the Mak'Tor out to be a cult in this one. Something that needed to be destroyed. Something, that even though it didn't follow the Dark Side per se, it was still evil. I mean, I know from Karm's stories that that isn't true, but seeing it from a Jedi's point of view, that was cool. And yes, lots of interesting developments. Both happening, and going to happen. Like TD, my hopes for Mili are still high.

I agree, and I think that's part of the point.  From Kimar's POV the Mak'Tor ARE evil.  They're a very dangerous cult of force-users who don't necessarily agree with his view on how things should be done.  And that's Kimar's ultimate definition of "evil".  :-)

I echo the others, LSG.  I love Sofa's concern for Millaea.  Though I am waiting for the "wait...what?  You healed me?  What's 'shatterpoint'..."  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »

Chapter 27
Milaea
The swirl of energies beneath the temple never sat right with her.  Soryu had often brought her and Sofa down here, to teach them how the living force could flow in different ways to what they might typically expect.  Still it felt unnerving…but perhaps that was actual nerves given this was her final trial.

There were five trials, skill, courage, spirit, flesh and insight.   On Sofas advice, her battle on Cygrat had been permitted to count for her test of skill, on Valens the events on Vyth had counted for her test of courage and flesh, the Grand Master had personally congratulated her on being an “example of firmness and commitment to the Code for all Jedi to aspire to” - because, in his words she was “ridding the galaxy of a dangerous and malign cult”.

She wasn’t sure she liked that, in spite of Valens and Sofa’s effort she still felt that what had happened on Vyth had been…not very Jedi like…but if it was Jedi like...she wasn’t sure she wanted anything more to do with them. She would wonder about that another time.

Here beneath the temple she was to face her test of Insight and Spirit, the first tested her ability to evaluate the truth of a situation through the deceptions of your own bias and point of view, the second tested you against the darkness within yourself, to look into the mirror of your own spirit.

The second part scared her…her dreams were becoming more and more real, like memories, her panic at the things she could do without even thinking about it, at the power she could wield…was growing.  Twice she had almost torn a room apart without conscious effort….

She feared what she would find in too precise a mirror.

She put those thoughts aside as she crawled through a narrow rocky opening deeper into the caverns, she had to step up to being a Jedi.  She followed the threads of the shatter point deep into the caverns, past ancient shrines, covered in old runes and hieroglyphs...

It seemed an endless collection of the dust of ages…manifestations of an endless cycles of construction and destruction….

“For what” asked herself as she past a mummified corpse surrounded by archaic symbols…no one now remembered who this was, why they had died, what they had believed….what had it all achieved?

After what seemed like days…perhaps it was…she found a line…the thinnest of shatter point threads leading her to the small altar, upon it a partially fractured glowing red pyramid the size of her hand. A Sith holocron.
***********************************************************************************************************

She could feel the dark power seething off of it, she felt like she was walking straight into a plasma leak.  This had to be it.  As she stepped beside it she gazed down and caught her reflection on two sides of the red pyramid.

Her face worried, apprehensive, began to shift…she touched her face to see if it was really happening - the mirror image of her hand didn’t appear on the holocron, on the right reflection her face became more confident, determined….sensual… on the left more grave, serious, older…wise.

“Quite a sight isn’t it,”  the voice startled her, she flicked on her lightsabre and entered into a defensive stance without even thinking, searching for the speaker. 

“That won’t do you much good,” a red glow suffused above the holocron showing the aged face of a long dead Sith Lord, pale red skin, face tendrils typical of the sith species itself.,
“Not much use at all Little Jedi,”

“Who are you,” she asked as she switched off the amethyst blade.

The holocron phantom chuckled…

“A shade, a memory of a man long dead…nothing more than this… Lord Yncrara…in the Service of the Sith Emperor…Vitiate you’d know him as if you need a name” 

Now she knew this was her test…to be tempted by this Sith, to confront the desires of her spirit, to see through the lies of the Sith.

“So…” she relaxed a little now she knew what this was all about, “Are you going to try and tempt me with more visions of power and dark glory?”

“I didn’t create that vision…but you’re right that is the typical thing to do isn’t it,”  he said somehow sensing her thoughts, she didn’t fully understand how holocrons worked, but knew they were more than just a virtual interface, they were a living part of their creator, imbued with consciousness and powers.

“offer you some kind of dark power, we chat a little, you see through my lies, face your desires and so forth…and go back a good well tested Little Jedi” he sighed,

“I’ve done it a hundred times…and I’m tired of it…all the Jedi they send down here the same…except for that man…he was something else…”  his dead transparent eyes looked her over,

“He was like you…or you’re like him perhaps…interesting…but he didn’t pretend to be a Jedi…you seem to believe you are one…”

“You won’t make me doubt myself,” she replied,

“No…you do enough of that yourself,”

She felt a sudden stab of fear, that hit too close to the mark for her liking

He smiled at her sensing her emotion…but it wasn’t a manipulative smile…it was wise and sympathetic, like a grandparent might smile as they encouraged a child before a speech or exam.

“Are you going to be afraid of yourself your whole life Little Jedi?” he asked

“I’m not afraid,” she replied

“No…then why do you hold yourself back?” 

“I…” she struggled to answer, then it struck her, “I refuse to use my powers to dominate and control others like the Sith do,” she replied

“That wasn’t what I asked and you know it….”

“You’re not a typical Sith are you,” she tried to change the subject

“What is a typical Sith…ah Little Jedi all you know of Sith is what the Jedi have taught you…more’s the pity you might all learn something…but back to the topic, do you intend to live afraid of your own potential?”

“You want me to use my power for selfishness, power,”

“No Little Jedi I never asked what to use your power toward, I only ask why you fear your own potential,”

Her face wrinkled with annoyance and confusion…what was the right answer to this…

“It’s your life Little Jedi, you tell me the answer…” again he could read her thoughts as easily as a datapad…”I can sense the surface, but not what lies below it…” he added to her thoughts…

“I guess…” she began, “because it frightens me, the things I can do…the dreams…its…not what I’m meant to be…and I’m afraid…I’m afraid I’ll go too far…hurt someone I care about…do something terrible…”

He smiled at her again

“And you think you’re less likely to do these things by ignoring it, by letting it come out unbidden when you’re emotional rather than learning the source, the truth of your power and how to control it,”

“ha, sounds pretty silly doesn’t it,” she laughed, it was just what Soryu had told her, what Odjina had told her, what Sofa had told her…all the advice she had never followed…but none of them…none of them had truly understood the depth of her power like she did.

“It does…but you’re…well the current you….is young…don’t be afraid of yourself Little Jedi…explore what you can do…and then…then choose how you want to use that power…”

“You’re not going to tell me to use it to conquer the universe?”

“No Little Jedi, I’ve…I’ve had a long time to think…to reflect on many things…glory, conquest, charity, self-sacrifice, justice…they don’t mean much when you’re dead…they just take from you when you’re alive…life…life is all we have…” he looked down at the fractures along his holocron
“even if it’s just a shadow…”

She had almost forgotten she was talking to a Sith Lord for a moment…

“Then why do you want to die?” she picked up on some of his thoughts this time

“I died a long time ago in truth…the last flickering ember of what was a blazing inferno of life…it’s my time, the other one like you, he knew…but he saw I’d be needed once more…now I can see that too,”

She knew what the holocron would ask of her,

“I…I can’t…I don’t want to…” she couldn’t kill…even this shade…she had made enough mistakes on Vyth…mistakes that could never be taken back…she didn’t need any more on her consciousness.

“You made the wrong choice Little Jedi…”

She nodded and sat cross legged in front of the shrine.

“I knew it was wrong…but I couldn’t see any way out…I thought I was doing the right thing by the Jedi…but then…both sides were wrong…I shouldn’t have chosen…I should’ve just…” she felt selfish, treasonous saying this…yet it was true,

“I should’ve just left them all to their own…space the Jedi…space the Mak’Tor…” her eyes began to tremble with tears,

“I don’t want a part of any of it…they’re both as bad as each other, both trying to fix a galaxy that couldn’t care less…both killing and fighting to realise…some Greater Good no one can agree on…”

The Sith spectre smiled, “It took my fleshy self-dying and several hundred years for me to realise that same thing…just swap Sith For Jedi and Power for Greater Good…Take comfort in the fact you are still young enough to do something with this knowledge…to be free of the cycle before it consumes you.”

She remained seated beneath the holocron for a little while considering what he had just said.  All her life she had been raised to fight for others, for Peace and Justice…but once you knew that Peace and Justice were a matter of opinion, concepts that existed only in the minds of the sentients who wanted them to be real…what was left for her to do…

When ideologies are not worth living or dying for, philosophies a waste of time against brute reality, Religion a series of numbing lies…what did someone trained to fight battle for?  Perhaps all that was left was simple biology…the true goal of Life, to survive to reproduce…

“I think you’ve seen what you needed to Little Jedi…you can go back now…become a knight…but please two things I ask of you,”

She felt compassion for the old Sith, trapped down here, he wasn’t a bad person…or ghost…she nodded,

“First…let an old man rest at last…” if a holocron could cry he would be now,

“Must it always end in death?” she asked sadly thinking on what had happened with the Mak’Tor.

He smiled, the smile of a man facing his end and contended with it,
“Death is always the end Little Jedi…some few of us at least get to choose when, don’t deny anyone that when they ask….”

She nodded, “the second thing,”

He closed his hollow eyes, “Let the last thing I see…feel…be you, finally free of your doubts…your true self…not a Little Jedi…just a woman who is now her own.” 

She let herself see the flaws of the holocron, every line and thread…already on the verge of cracking…that part of her that told her this was wrong briefly flickered, but she left it go by like an errant petal upon the breeze. 

She reach to the force, without and within, not worrying about whether it was dark or deathly from the echoes of the secrets buried here, just letting it all infuse her.  She opened her eyes, the old man’s face was tired but contented, her own reflection in the holocron was clearer, confident, strong…no longer a ‘Little Jedi’, no longer ‘Mili’…but Milaea.

The holocron shattered.
She was halfway back to the temple proper when she felt it…a dark, hate filled energy…but it wasn’t here…no it wasn’t NOW….it was somewhere else…somewhere in the future….

Before she might’ve been afraid of plunging into the future for what she might see, for the power it might unleash within her…no more…if she had held back the Sith on Cygrat would’ve killed her, if she had held back Sofa would be dead, if she had held back on Vyth….now she should’ve held back then…been truer to herself.

She stepped forward confidently as the world shimmered and shifted into the future around her, walls and tunnels built and collapsed, men and women came and went, builders, thieves, Jedi, till she finally reached the place that had called her. 

The room was different, much had been removed to create a large empty space with queer symbols similar to those she had seen on Korriban.  In the centre of the room the old rotten man she had seen before…his black robe’s hood was down and she saw the fullness of his deformity…power without beauty what use was that…

“Beauty without power, what use is that my dear,” The old man was staring up at the ceiling, arms outreached in some kind of meditative trance….

“I had not anticipated to find one so young…but age is no arbiter of power,” he cackled

She looked directly at him and stepped forward, he was a cauldron of pure hate and disdain, his voice as sickening as his features.

“Where are your friends?”  she asked,

“Friends?” 

“The machine man and the red headed girl,” 

He lowered his gaze but kept in the same odd position…he was obviously thinking…he seemed to need to maintain the ritual to keep the connection to the past…her now…that alone told her he was weaker than her.

“The machine man as you call it, is not here…the red headed girl I do not know of any…but I will be expecting her now….”  His arms twitched with the strain of keeping them stretched.

“But I did not call you here for that…You Sith of the past, here and now I have the galaxy in my hands, the Jedi are all but gone…show me the location of the Balance Crystal”

She laughed at his presumption!

“What makes you think I’m a Sith?” 

“Can one who wields such power across time be anything but…certainly no Jedi would perform such an unnatural rite?”

She narrowed her eyes at him…she didn’t know what this Balance Crystal was…and she wouldn’t be used by the likes of him…so why come here…

He looked at her demandingly, his sloughed skin drooping horribly over his neck, eyes blazing yellow,

“I’m not afraid of myself anymore,” she said,

He looked confused, his presence was annoyed, this was a man unaccustomed to being refused anything,

“And what do I care about that,” he spat angrily,

She regarded him coolly,

“You care because you’re a weak old man afraid of death,” she replied in measured tones,

“And I’m a strong young woman with everything to live for,”

His majesty…yes there was something Imperial about his bearing…looked less than amused.

“You want advice from the past, that’s all you’re getting, that there is someone out there that’s not afraid of her own power, and not afraid of you,” 

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »

LOL

So Palpatine was looking for the Crystal of Balance!  Awesome...

And I love Millaea's response to him.  Nicely written.  :-)

I think Millaea is finally decided.  She's no Jedi.  She's an Aethan...

Buckle up, folks.  Its going to be a bumpy ride!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2018, 12:32:55 PM »

Yes!  Here I was worried about the "goddess" showing up...boy was I wrong.

There is Milaea.  Let the heavens tremble...

LOVE the scene with Palpatine!  Ohh, the Crystal of Balance... This is going to be good...

I've said it before LSG: your knowledge of SW is encyclopaedic!  I had to look up Vitiate (awesome back story!)  More amazing: how you can incorporate all of it within the "Aethans" narrative. 

Really looking forward to read what Milaea does next  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »

Chapter 28
[/b]
Jarys
[/b]
The holo-lit up with Keisons face…for a long while they didn’t speak…these two veterans already knew what needed to be said. 

Jarys had to leave the Sons, he couldn’t endanger them any more with Jedi interference…he had to go to Coruscant and end this thing with the Jedi once and for all…find the girl, maybe…get killed, most likely…

“Sad to see you go brother,” Keison broke the silence

“And I…”

“You, Sel, Maes…you’ve done more for our cause than I could ever have dreamed, thousands owe their freedom to you,”

He nodded, “And you Kesion…you helped me…helped me learn…gave me a chance to find my people…no one else would’ve…there is little I can offer by way of thanks but…”

“none is necessary, as I said when we met, you were a slave, you kills slavers and free slaves, you are my brother,”

“Still…my people have a rule…if you ever meet one of my people again…tell them, “The eyes of the Goddess burn upon me,” and they will help you…or at least not kill you outright…”

Keison laughed, “I’ll remember…I hope you find your family brother,”
That meant a lot coming from a man who had seen the children he had been forced to father to increase 'stock' whipped to death by his ‘master’ to punish him. 

“Freedom keep you Keison,”

“And you and yours Jarys,”  Keison signed off…

Jarys dipped his head…another home, another brother lost…even if a temporary one it still hurt.  He looked out at the tunnel of hyperspace…a familiar and sad sight…was his brother out there…had he somehow escaped the crashing ships of the slavers that dreadful night…at least his body would be home…

His own wife…most likely dead on some foreign world…he had seen hundreds of ‘pleasure’ slaves’…every time…as much as he didn’t want to…he couldn’t help but imagine Cilina being abused like that…like Selaena had been…it sickened him…but he couldn’t ignore he reality of how this galaxy treated its own people…

Even as he had tried to find them with the Sons…more often than not…in his heart he hoped Cilina and all the other women were long since dead rather than suffering.

He checked the navi-computer, still on track to reach Coruscant…he got up to stretch his legs heading to the spartan living quarters of the Vorynx.

*************************************************************************************

Maeson was sleeping soundly, Selaena looked up as he came in.  She had broken an arm fighting the Jedi, but with  Jarys healing abilities it was already all but mended, and the lightsabre scar on her cheek rapidly fading…he had noticed they healed much faster than regular humans even without a healing aether flow…or perhaps it was the humans who healed slowly.

“Better,” he asked his mute companion,

She flexed her arm in response then imitated holding her rifle…she’d only spoken twice, once to acknowledge him as Guardian, and once to acknowledge Maeson as ‘brother’.  He could always feel the pain, the humiliation she felt at having been enslaved and raped so long just beneath the surface…he had told her she was not responsible and bore no shame…but still.

“I’m sorry about this…the Jedi…at first they just wanted me…now we’re all targets…” he sighed, “We’ve run from them twice…and nearly been killed twice…I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do to face them directly…but…that girl..”

Sel’s presence expressed confidence and she squeezed his arm in support…she would always obey him he knew that…all Aethans would follow a Guardian without question after all…she gave a slight encouraging smile, in the aether he got a sense of her own longing for her lost husband and children.

“I wish we had found more…there is no guarantee this girl is one of us…”  Sel exuded confidence, she coursed meaning in the aether of a connection between the fight with the girl on Cygrat and the Jedi hunting them on Santooine.

“You think she is and they want to keep me away from her?”

She nodded rapidly

“We may be killed before we ever find out…” he warned, to himself mostly,

She shook her head, then shrugged in indifference, her aura exuded a sense of it not mattering.

“If not killed there it would be somewhere else is that it?” 
She nodded sadly, again thinking of her children, her desire to find them…so strong…an image of worlds burning for that chance…then she reflected it back to him.

“I have to take this chance…follow the thin tread of hope wherever it might lead…” he agreed. 

“Though I’m probably going to be the only man in the galaxy who would be upset if his daughter became a Jedi…” he mused

*************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »

so...  Jarys is headed to Coruscant...   i feel like we should be listening to the sound trac from "the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"...

nice development.  I love the sorrow of Jarys parting with his adopted brother.  of all the Aethans I actually like Jarys the most.  Despite his horrible and bloody history he is the most honest.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2018, 11:34:36 PM »

so...  Jarys is headed to Coruscant...   i feel like we should be listening to the sound trac from "the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"...

nice development.  I love the sorrow of Jarys parting with his adopted brother.  of all the Aethans I actually like Jarys the most.  Despite his horrible and bloody history he is the most honest.

Agreed. Jarys seems the most sincere. Valens is cool, but he just isn't Jarys.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »

Agreed. Jarys seems the most sincere. Valens is cool, but he just isn't Jarys.

I know.  the more I've read of the Aethans the more I am drawn to Jarys.  The race as a whole can gain a LOT from his transparency and honesty about who he is.  While I understand the motivations of other characters, I can't bring myself to really agree with them or "side" with them as a reader.  But Jarys I can side with.

As a whole, btw, I want to say that the Jedi as they exist in this time/place (specifically, the Order under Kimar) I do not like either.  IF the Jedi operated this way (and I don't say they didn't, it seems very canonical) I wouldn't like the Jedi much, either.   I can understand how Palpatine could sell the idea that the Jedi were trying to take over...

LOL  Anyway, the fact that we're analyzing these guys so deeply just shows how invested we've all become, which is a sign of a good writing and storytelling!  Kudos to LSG!  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »

I know.  the more I've read of the Aethans the more I am drawn to Jarys.  The race as a whole can gain a LOT from his transparency and honesty about who he is.  While I understand the motivations of other characters, I can't bring myself to really agree with them or "side" with them as a reader.  But Jarys I can side with.

As a whole, btw, I want to say that the Jedi as they exist in this time/place (specifically, the Order under Kimar) I do not like either.  IF the Jedi operated this way (and I don't say they didn't, it seems very canonical) I wouldn't like the Jedi much, either.   I can understand how Palpatine could sell the idea that the Jedi were trying to take over...

LOL  Anyway, the fact that we're analyzing these guys so deeply just shows how invested we've all become, which is a sign of a good writing and storytelling!  Kudos to LSG!  :-)
Precisely!  I couldn't agree with this assessment more!  Jarys' motives seem more motivated by PERSONAL experience and feelings than, say, Valens which is more of a...logistics problem to be solved.  Reminds me of the short story, "The Cold Equation"  Valens would have had NO problems, I assure you  Wink

And--again, nicely put Karm--the Jedi are not paragons either.  Point of fact, their insistence of "non-attachment" is part of the Order's problems as a whole.  One of the reasons that I like the iteration of Gray Jedi (Mak'Tor and Vhal'Dan) is that they encourage such attachments and emotions.  Almost all humans (and in SW, most species) have/exhibit/feel emotion.  To deny or suppress that to the degree that the Jedi had was endemic of their problem(s).  And I think that LSG's "reason" that the Order became that way is an absolutely outstanding bit of writing  Cheesy 

Heh, which is what Karm said  Grin

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »

Just read through all this... and WOW!!!!  Amazing.  SO engaging.  Powerful.  Can't wait for more.

I have to say, I am struck by how alike Jarys and Valens are to Kahn from Star Trek (especially the new movies); a superior being ready to do, and doing, whatever it takes to protect and restore their people.  Not enough that it feels like a rip, but that depth of devotion, that perspective of absolute right by the standards of a people mistreated.  I can't help as well seeing how Kimar is utilizing Valens much like The Agent from Firefly/Serenity...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »

Just read through all this... and WOW!!!!  Amazing.  SO engaging.  Powerful.  Can't wait for more.

I have to say, I am struck by how alike Jarys and Valens are to Kahn from Star Trek (especially the new movies); a superior being ready to do, and doing, whatever it takes to protect and restore their people.  Not enough that it feels like a rip, but that depth of devotion, that perspective of absolute right by the standards of a people mistreated.  I can't help as well seeing how Kimar is utilizing Valens much like The Agent from Firefly/Serenity...

Thanks Illyiss! Those are some great comparisons, and very apt, I hadn't thought of! Glad you're enjoying it and will do my best to keep it engaging! I know it's a lot of reading between children and legacy so thanks for giving it a go!

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: