Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for a teacher  (Read 6221 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: January 30, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »

I'm really interested in learning lightsaber combat. What do I do?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »

I'm really interested in learning lightsaber combat. What do I do?

Welcome mrg, there are several approaches that you can try.

Maybe you can tell us your current skill level ... are you a Martial Artist? a beginner? Are you searching for realistic fight or spectacular/choreographed fight?

Considering your answers:

You can try a martial art or a weapon based sport for the basic. Because a Lightsaber is a "simple weapon" (you do not have to consider the orientation of the blade), i think that every MA or sport will help you.

You can directly start with lightsaber by joining an academy.

You can watch to vids on the internet as there are many great and useful tutorials (from the TPLA for example).

I do not think there is a best approach ... it really depends what you search for and on people you will meet.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »

Plenty of options out there, as Seblaise said.  For instance, I work with TPLA (Terra Prime Light Armory aka Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy), and we have our own way of applying real martial arts to the Star Wars lore.  If that's your interest, you can always shoot me a PM and I'll help you get started!

Also, I always recommend building a foundation in weapon based arts, no matter what you're looking to do.  For combat, you'll certainly be better equipped.  For choreography, having the body mechanics for sword work will help you more easily prepare and execute a fight, ultimately making it look more real (and exciting).  My background is fencing, so obviously I'm inclined to suggest that, but there are all kinds of different sword methods out there that can help.  Kendo, kenjutsu, HEMA, FMA, SCA... the list goes on and on.  All these have sword techniques that can be effectively applied to lightsaber combat.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »

Welcome mrg, there are several approaches that you can try.

Maybe you can tell us your current skill level ... are you a Martial Artist? a beginner? Are you searching for realistic fight or spectacular/choreographed fight?

I'd call myself a "rank" beginner. I've taken a look at the TPLA stuff and, while I really like they're stuff, I think I'm more into some of the Cosplay kind of aspects. I'm considering Saber Guild or something like that. I have a saber...and I'd like to learn how to use it  Grin Shocked Cheesy

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »

I'd call myself a "rank" beginner. I've taken a look at the TPLA stuff and, while I really like they're stuff, I think I'm more into some of the Cosplay kind of aspects. I'm considering Saber Guild or something like that. I have a saber...and I'd like to learn how to use it  Grin Shocked Cheesy

Sounds like you're on the right track then!  FYI, we're currently working on a system for choreographing fights using the TPLA methods, so keep an eye out for that if you end up joining Saber Guild (could come in handy).

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »

Sounds like you're on the right track then!  FYI, we're currently working on a system for choreographing fights using the TPLA methods, so keep an eye out for that if you end up joining Saber Guild (could come in handy).

Sounds great! The one thing that I didn't realize until watching the TPLA stuff is how short an "actual" saber fight would probably be. I guess I like the movie-ness a bit more than the circle-circle-whack-done kind of stuff...but it's still fun to watch.

Thanks for your suggestions!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »

Sounds great! The one thing that I didn't realize until watching the TPLA stuff is how short an "actual" saber fight would probably be. I guess I like the movie-ness a bit more than the circle-circle-whack-done kind of stuff...but it's still fun to watch.

Thanks for your suggestions!

It is the main difference between a realistic fight and a choreographed fight Wink

A realistic fight can be very, VERY short, even if the two opponents are of the same skill level ... it includes mainly very efficient moves and strikes.

A spectacular fight can include a very large range of moves and strikes ... (that aim at making 3D light painting with the sabers lol ) ... and that enable opponent to dodge and parry more easily ... So, these fights may be longer Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »

Ciao mrg149, and welcome!
I think that if you want some foundation for what you plan to do with a lightsaber, whether competitive or choreography, you should start looking for a trainer in your area. If there isn't one which does what you want (most groups don't do both things), you are better off with taking lessons in any martial art.
In the latter case, the techniques you will learn will not be directly applicable to lightsaber combat, but skills such as balance, evaluating distance, timing, will be, and you will be much more confident with your body.
What you should not do in my opinion is trying to learn (lightsaber combat, martial arts, whatever requires physical movement) from instructional videos; practicing without a teacher able to watch you from all angles, physically interacting with you, is unsafe. In the worst case you will hurt yourself through repeating a wrong movement; if you are lucky you will simply acquire vices that will then make learning properly much more difficult. I have seen this too many times to count in overeager students who were trying to skip ahead in the program.
More on this topic in my signature, in an article written by a good friend of mine and fellow lightsaber instructor (as well as teacher and master of several martial arts).
Whatever you do, have fun!

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »

Clearly I neglected to use this opportunity to drop an appropriate gif... so here it is!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »

Clearly I neglected to use this opportunity to drop an appropriate gif... so here it is!

Cheesy

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:41:42 PM »

I think you're just telling me that I should avoid this:

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Also, avoid this,

https://youtu.be/TXMX_xm7IRo

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darzik
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 05:38:19 PM »

As a professional martial arts instructor for 18 years and martial artist since 1979 I will say that lightsaber combat takes on a whole new thought process and approach to traditional training. Ultimately you'd want one on one with an authentically certified teacher.... however that all depends on what you want out of the lightsaber hobby. Combat,  cosplay,  tricking? First know exactly what you want then tailor your goals to it.

Secondly,  if you can not find a school in your area there is nothing wrong with long distance online video training. It's certainly not the same as in person but still heads and tails better then nothing at all. TPLA has a fantastic and systematic online learning system where you are in constant direct contact with professional martial artists that specialize in weaponry. They will guide you every step of the way and the results have been evident in their world wide following of students. To summarize.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with long distance online training.

Lastly I will part with this: Any combat club or organization that trains weaponry and does not require mandatory protective measures such as fencing or HEMA masks,  kendo, hockey or lacrosse gloves at the minimum is dangerous. Beware.

Good luck to you.

The Gathering of Sabers
Syracuse NY

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -216

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 07:06:41 AM »

What you should not do in my opinion is trying to learn (lightsaber combat, martial arts, whatever requires physical movement) from instructional videos; practicing without a teacher able to watch you from all angles, physically interacting with you, is unsafe. In the worst case you will hurt yourself through repeating a wrong movement; if you are lucky you will simply acquire vices that will then make learning properly much more difficult. I have seen this too many times to count in overeager students who were trying to skip ahead in the program.
More on this topic in my signature, in an article written by a good friend of mine and fellow lightsaber instructor (as well as teacher and master of several martial arts).

I disagree and I am surprised, Ander, as I was when I first read the article you mentioned, about the (to my eyes) undifferentiated stance against online learning per se.

I will give you that: searching for and learning from instructional videos alone can be dangerous for a beginner: he doesn't know what to look for, he might do things wrong without noticing, developing bad habits or worse damaging his body if there is noone you knows what he is doing to correct him.

But, as Darzik said above, between learning from videos on your own and being an in-door student, there is a third option that you are very well aware of and that, again to my surprise, is not covered in your arguments: an online SCHOOL. A school with a consistent curriculum made by MA experts where students, regardless of their background, can get tutorage from experienced instructors and are guided through their training. I would be interested to hear your view on that!

Sure, there is only so much you can learn on your own ... fighting can only be learned by fighting in the end. But, to my mind and in my experience, there are solid things that can be learned on your own that can prepare you, mind and body, and make it much easier when you actually start to spar.

And I am talking about beginners here. When you talk about experienced swordsmen and -women wanting to learn some new ways, online schools can even be more effective when both sides know what they are doing.

You are well aware of all that. So I wonder where this 'absolute' against online training comes from?

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »

So I wonder where this 'absolute' against online training comes from?
I find it rather ironic that the article is written by someone trained SOLELY in Japanese martial arts. Being an old fart, I remember quite well how Japanese instructors taught in the 'old days': teaching the basics and from there, the student was required to watch and imitate. Getting any feedback was deemed a privilege.
It's a teaching method that was common all over Asia for centuries. Watch and imitate until the teacher finds your performance satisfying and shows you another technique. If you couldn't get it right, that was a sign that you lacked dedication and were therefore not meant to receive further teaching. It's based on Confuzianism and Buddhism.

Find any similarity to video training?  Grin

More ironic is the fact, that the argument about the 'risk of injury' comes from a school that does not use ANY kind of protective equipment, even in tournaments. Sorry guys, but we're talking about the importance of decent protection in sabering a lot here and no one sees the irony here?

The whole article reads like a badly covered advertisement to me ...

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: