Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Special fondness for a particular weapon...  (Read 4176 times)
Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »

PERFECT! I love it!
At least within the setting, it's a perfect explanation.

Thank you.  Interesting that the study and application of the principles of Buddhism, which the Jedi Order was heavily based on/influenced by, place the points where they made mistakes and failings in such stark relief.

Back to the combat aspect, I watch the movies and shows, and understand it needs to be showy as a stage presentation.  I feel the same of choreographed demonstrations.  The frustration comes when I see people who want to train for dueling (or even combat as they think it is, with impact weapons similar enough) with flourishes, wide looping movements, and footwork that puts their backs so long to their opponents...  Most defense, in my experience, is done in a rectangle directly in front of you, that is usually at most the width of your shoulders, and from your shoulders to your groin, in terms of your hands as they are on your weapon.  As well, body positioning is important.  Anything more is opening yourself up, in the vast majority of cases. 

Then again, training forms often look quite a bit different from the actual application.  Kendo comes to mind immediately.  Training, especially early, in the forms, the movements are big, especially some of the cuts.  IMHO, to teach, in a static way, the feel of the momentum of the cuts, thrusts, and parries.  Yet, when we watch competition matches, especially at the highest levels, not only is the whole match usually very short, with fast and furious movement, it's often all contained in a very close, tight area right in front of (and thus between) the two combatants.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »

with flourishes, wide looping movements, and footwork that puts their backs so long to their opponents...
Grin I know what you mean - though I'm guilty of doing body-turns myself from time to time (hey, sabering is fun, so a bit of decorum is fine). Sometimes, those moves even score.
Especially out of measure you can basically do anything you want, anyhow.

Most defense, in my experience, is done in a rectangle directly in front of you, that is usually at most the width of your shoulders, and from your shoulders to your groin, in terms of your hands as they are on your weapon.
It depends. Displacing takes the same room as an attack, parrying less, voiding a lot more.

Kendo comes to mind immediately.
Kendô is a special case, like Olympic fencing. Competitors concentrate on techniques that score under a given ruleset.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »

Grin I know what you mean - though I'm guilty of doing body-turns myself from time to time (hey, sabering is fun, so a bit of decorum is fine). Sometimes, those moves even score.
Especially out of measure you can basically do anything you want, anyhow.
It depends. Displacing takes the same room as an attack, parrying less, voiding a lot more.
Kendô is a special case, like Olympic fencing. Competitors concentrate on techniques that score under a given ruleset.

Oh I agree, sometimes fun just needs to happen, and a spin (body) sometimes works wonders.

Okay, I should clarify, on the defense point, that my shoulders are ~32" wide, and at 6'4" with a long torso (seriously, my inseam is like 28"), said rectangle is fairly large...

True, but there are those of us who know that Kendo and Olympic fencing are pretty far removed from actual combat (though better than no training), and then there is everyone else that watches movies...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: