Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What lightsaber form should i use?  (Read 5817 times)
DarthInstinctus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -6

« on: February 23, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »

Hi everyone! ive been doing a lot of research lately on the seven forms of lightsaber combat which lead to me think what lightsaber form would i use if i were a jedi or sith? Which lead me to the ultrasabers quiz.

https://www.ultrasabers.com/Whats-your-lightsaber-combat-style-s/189.htm

i took this test three times the first time i got makashi, form 2, the contention form and then i retook it and changed a couple of my answers and when i did that i got the form 7 juyo, the ferocity form.  Then i did it once again changing one of my answers and got Soresu, the resiliance form.

im not sure which one would more suit me more. when it comes to form 2 im actually very clumsy and can be heavy handed so the elegance and finesse of this form may not suit me. On the other hand i do like the curved hilt lightsabers and i am really tall 6ft 4 to be exact and the reach of makashi could suit me very well. Its also not particually an aggresive form and i am very much not an aggresive person. I dont like upsetting people at all and am nice to everyone or at least try to be. on the downside i can get very anxious and have had confidence issues in the past so being calm isnt always me though i tend to look like i am at least. Plus i like to think my aim is pretty good so precision is on my side at least. I often have to tell myself to be calm to make sure i am and even then it doesnt always work haha. I really do like makashi though, dooku used it and his one handed blade fighting was awesome. After all my research I would definetely say form 2 is my personal favourite out of all the forms. I like its emphasis on saber to saver combat which if im honest is my favourite part of star wars.

When it comes to form 7 im not very physically strong. in fact id say im weaker than average physically though i think im the strongest ive ever been in my life, but that isnt saying very much. What i like about juyo is that it uses emotion as a source of power completely disregarding the "there is no emotion, there is peace." rule of the jedi. I am a very sensitive and emotional person.. So thats a plus. On the downside, i think as part of juyo you have to enjoy the fight and i absolutely hate fighting. I will purposely try to avoid having arguments with people if i can. Though i can be very competitive in friendly competitions such as playing games etc etc plus i am a very passionate person and get excited very easily when presented with something i am passionate about. im also creative ( i used to be an actor) so that could suit form 7 too. Plus i really like heavy metal which is a faced past chaotic style very much like Juyo and if someone hurt someone i cared about i would be on them faster than the tazmanian devil lol.

Form 3 is a bit of a strange one for me. Since yes im a very defensive person but obviously that calmness required with the form could be detrimental to me and i am prone to sudden bursts of energy which could harm rather than help Soresu. Saying that though i do like the defensive capabilities of the form. They say a true master becomes completely indestructible.

Honestly when it comes to what lightsaber form i would like to use it would take a lot for me to kill. I would only do it as a last resort if all else failed, they gave me no choice or if the people i loved were in danger (i just became a dad recently). Plus i think I would aim to instead try to immobilize my target either by destroying their weapon or making it so they cant use their arms to use the force or swing their blade again. That may be cutting of their arms or hands or just grazing them without any long lasting damage or injuries. Though id want the option to kill or cause serious injuries should i need to. id want the confrontation to be over with as fast as possible so id wait for an opening and capitalize on the moment instinctively since im not very physically strong at all and never have been and hopefully before i tire since im not very physically fit either and dont have a lot of stamina.
. Id use my height to my advantage since im 6ft4 and have stupidly long arms and legs so reach is always a plus.Thats what ive got so far im sure theres more i could say but ill keep it here before it gets too long if it isnt already lol.

So what do you all think? if this post isnt in the right place i apologize and i will move it.

Thanks again Smiley

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »

Here's the thing - the Forms are purely fictional, and tend to be hard to apply to real world application.  I typically recommend that anyone looking to use these sabers start their training in Shii-Cho, to build a foundation.  Using that as a basis, you can start to see what your preferences are, which will push you toward a specialization, ultimately resulting in your own style of combat.  At that point, it becomes easier to "classify" someone using a particular Form.

Additionally, if you have any martial arts background, please feel free to share that with us.  It would help give a better idea of what concepts you may be more comfortable with.

DarthInstinctus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »

Ah thanks for your reply. I understand that the forms dont neccesarily translate well in the real world though i just find it fun to theorize and fantasize i guess lol. As for previous martial arts training i did some basic level karate a long time ago that mostly taught me the basics of... parrying i guess? basically using the opponents weight to redirect the punch is the thing i remember the most, though it has been an extremely long time since i practiced it and as i said, it was pretty much basic level.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »

Ah thanks for your reply. I understand that the forms dont neccesarily translate well in the real world though i just find it fun to theorize and fantasize i guess lol. As for previous martial arts training i did some basic level karate a long time ago that mostly taught me the basics of... parrying i guess? basically using the opponents weight to redirect the punch is the thing i remember the most, though it has been an extremely long time since i practiced it and as i said, it was pretty much basic level.

Gotcha, in that case I'll assume you're starting from scratch more or less (weapons wise, anyway).  I don't want to squash your imagination by any means, the Forms can be a fun way to bring Star Wars lore to martial arts training!  I still do recommend starting with Shii-Cho, however.  There are various versions out there, but I'm partial to the TPLA one because I'm heavily involved with that group.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaNZV0MFPc&amp;list=PLa0qMrSIuQ9olit-Mz0HD7RVmvxZuH8zU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaNZV0MFPc&amp;list=PLa0qMrSIuQ9olit-Mz0HD7RVmvxZuH8zU</a>

Take a look, and see if you like it!

DarthInstinctus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »

hey man, thanks for that! it looks really cool, dont suppose thats you is it? Smiley really liked that lightsaber too. I can see where the basics of shii cho apply into other forms especially when you watch the movies as well.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

hey man, thanks for that! it looks really cool, dont suppose thats you is it? Smiley really liked that lightsaber too. I can see where the basics of shii cho apply into other forms especially when you watch the movies as well.

Nope, that's Darth Nonymous, the founder of TPLA.  I have some videos on the Youtube page, such as my Makashi dulon, but not nearly as many as he does.  It's a really interesting system that incorporates both the Forms from SW lore and practical techniques from real world martial arts.  Obviously I'm biased here... but I definitely recommend looking into it Wink

DarthInstinctus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »

Thanks dude, just need to pick a sabre and start practicing myself once i get some money together to afford one lol. Just out of curiosity i keep coming across this image that says your a Makashi philosopher? What do you think to the mantis lightsabers? I probably wont get that one, im just curious is all haha!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »

Thanks dude, just need to pick a sabre and start practicing myself once i get some money together to afford one lol. Just out of curiosity i keep coming across this image that says your a Makashi philosopher? What do you think to the mantis lightsabers? I probably wont get that one, im just curious is all haha!

Personally, I'm not all that interested in it.  Neat design, but a bit large for my tastes - I usually favor smaller hilts for one handed techniques.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »

I enter the discussion a little late but i agree with what was already said:

If you have not any martial background, starting with the basic is the best way to enter the lightsaber battle world Wink

I am mainly a one handed duelist and i will say the same thing that M. Nero said: small hilts have many advantages including a better grip Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

DarthInstinctus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »

Thanks for your answers guys i appreciate it. Its been driving me nuts trying to decide what form would be best for me haha.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »

Thanks for your answers guys i appreciate it. Its been driving me nuts trying to decide what form would be best for me haha.

You are trying to eat the banana by the wrong end  Grin

Basics first and your style will come by itself. Learn how to use a saber, how to move ... and your own style will naturally come based on your strengths ...

Then, and only then, you will be able to say: "My style is form n" Wink

Only my opinion of course

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »

You see, that's why I called the 7 Forms BS in the other thread ...  Roll Eyes Wink

Don't look at the Forms - look at YOUR form first. Begin with a good stance, learn some basic guards (high, middle and low being the most common), practice footwork, practice precision in striking with the saber - it doesn't matter if the method is called Shii-Cho or by any other name.
If you can do all these things in a relaxed manner, you can look into the fictional forms if you like - chances are, they don't mean as much to you then as they do now. Wink

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »

This was a great question. And I really appreciate the video showed all the different forms strikes forms Perry's that kind of thing. As I don't know what form would be best for my self, I found this to be really interesting. I look forward to more videos so that I might be able to learn some of these moves myself.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: