Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: What if real light sabers exist?  (Read 7351 times)
Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »

But i like the idea that Jedi/Sith can concentrate to make the blade producing this heat using the Force
Which has no base in movie or literature whatsoever.  Wink There are some examples of overheating saberhilts, though - some Padawans lost limbs or lives that way ...
Most of the time, saberconstruction is described as a very delicate work, only possible by using the Force, as the crystal has to be aligned so precisely, that no tool could accomplish that.
Heat dispersion does not depend on the heat source but on the material only.
Yup, but in SW, the materials used on starships are transparisteel, plastisteel and durasteel, so there's some kind of norm.  Wink As we don't know the melting points of these materials ...
we can also think that they are Powerful Force users so they can survive wounds that normally could kill someone
Like Qui-Gonn dying on a stab?  Tongue Or all those Jedi killed by blaster-bolts?  Grin

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »

Which has no base in movie or literature whatsoever.  Wink There are some examples of overheating saberhilts, though - some Padawans lost limbs or lives that way ...

You forgot the rules in the Star Wars D6 RPG Smiley

Sometimes, Jedi can add some characteristics to their saber damages

Most of the time, saberconstruction is described as a very delicate work, only possible by using the Force, as the crystal has to be aligned so precisely, that no tool could accomplish that.Yup, but in SW, the materials used on starships are transparisteel, plastisteel and durasteel, so there's some kind of norm.  Wink As we don't know the melting points of these materials ...Like Qui-Gonn dying on a stab?  Tongue Or all those Jedi killed by blaster-bolts?  Grin

I said "CAN survive" and not "MUST survive Tongue

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »

You forgot the rules in the Star Wars D6 RPG
I'm an FFG-SW player/GM - I just use some of the old sourcebooks and elements from their railroads ... ah, adventures.  Grin Not that the new FFG-adventures would be any better ...

I said "CAN survive" and not "MUST survive
That's the problem with plot-devices: they just don't allow to base any kind of argument on them.  Wink

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 10:44:46 PM »

Ok, so, if i understood, the blade would be cold (cold plasma is about 150 to 300°C) and it could be hot if the Jedi/sith concentrates by using the Force ...

If it is like that ... i am wrong Wink

I'm afraid you've lost me, but then again with all the technical stuff being thrown around I might have lost myself. lol

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »

I'm afraid you've lost me, but then again with all the technical stuff being thrown around I might have lost myself. lol

Sorry, English is not my language  Grin

I wanted to say:

The normal state of the plasma blade of a lightsaber could be "cold" (on Earth, cold plasma are about 150 to 300°C).
In some occasions (when melting the durasteel of a door for example), maybe a Jedi/Sith could make the blade "hot" (on Earth, the majority of the plasma are about 10000 °C) by using the Force ...

It would explain why the blade seems cold and why the blade can melt doors designed to stop blasts Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »

To me, and it is only my opinion, it will be something like light weapon fencing (rapier or foil) ... and not saber or great sword fencing (that need power and inertia) ...

I think you are exactly right except not rapier. Rapier is too heavy. Much more like foil or epee.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 02:39:12 AM »

Staying within the laws of physics for our universe, this is not possible.  Wink
To injure, we need kinetic energy. Kinetic energy relies on motion - so a lightsaber has to be in motion to actually inflict damage.
Without motion, the only way to inflict damage is the energy of the plasma blade itself - which would just inflict burns on touch. Besides: to cut THROUGH something, you'd have to draw the line of the cut, at least.  Wink

In fact, thrusts would be the most harmless attacks - the wound is small and instantly cauterized. No internal bleeding, no gangrene ... If the thrust doesn't hit the heart, there's almost no chance of a finalizing injury. The most fatal - and most feared - wound in smallsword was the sucking chest wound.  Wink

Ok, well thought out and informed. But I feel the need to disagree about thrusting being negligible in it's lethality when used with a plasma blade that actively cauterizes the wounds it creates in real time. Thrusts and stabs are obscenely dangerous in this case especially. Though light sabers remove the bleeding to death part of the equation in comparison to traditional blade work, the "force required" to "cut" is the trade off which leads to my second point I'll share shortly. Mentally imagine defending yourself against a lightsaber while wielding one... the point is hard to deflect in motion, and many attacks or parries can easily transition into a thrust. So you now have a knife through butter ease of access to internal organs. Heart aside (talking human anatomy ignoring alien anatomies for the moment), severing major arteries precisely, damaging or destroying kidneys, liver, parts of brain without bisecting or decapitation, lungs, spine... one agile penetration of a few inches is lethal or debilitating to the point further combat is unlikely from the injured party.

Secondly, true kinetic energy must be applied to manipulate the weapon. But unlike the amounts needed for traditional blades to achieve cutting, ripping, hacking damage physical material produces separating other solid matter; the plasma beam must require less. The main focus of that energy in light saber combat is reaching the target, parrying other energy blades, blaster bolts, vibro blades, etc. It's more so a matter of direction and momentum/inertia than the concern of damage. In my mind it's like Count Dooku (hailed as one of the top duelists of the order) employing finesse and efficency to kill. A properly timed thrust into an opponent in motion could easily lead to them bisecting or dismembering themselves with their own inertia.

Third, plasma blade temperature. Much harder to debate since it's in our realm of theoretical physics trying to use something like this in small scale combat... but one thing I vaguely remember from the games sticks out. If I remember right (sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but a lightsaber has it's focusing crystal. Previously alluded to in a post on this topic, that crystal helps focus and (pretty sure) maintain a stable energy blade. So, here comes the logical leap I made. It is a controlled plasma blade, in a universe full of shielding and other containment technologies. They have navigated sub space routes for thousands of years, so lets just say waaaaaay advanced from our perspective technologically. So, in theory, the plasma heat contained within the blade may well exceed the ambient temperature by design/ out of necessity. Or to protect the wielder as much as bystanders. Hence (going with original Sith Red blade/crystal lore) the Sith modifying their blades to be "stronger" or more destructive could expand upon that idea. Since they want to generally harm their opponents and accept a higher level of (even continual) risk to themselves if the power gained is worth it. Sorry I veered a bit away from my point to make my point which is this... Upon contact with metal, organic matter, or various similar substances the light saber (by design) could automatically adjust containment or even heat output to achieve intended results. SO potentially design changes over millennia incorporated ideas like cutting through thicker metal by super heating it more than when slicing through a tree and accidentally setting it on fire through a design flaw in essence. It seems at least plausible to me, these warriors would modify their main weapon/tool to have this versatility.

My contribution to the conversation of these theories ends there for now. Dissenting from some while agreeing with others. Oh the joy of sparking the exchange of ideas, while attempting not to be senselessly rude or argumentative. At least that was the intention. I only desire to live long enough to see someone create a functional, handheld, true to traditional design, light saber!

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: