Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Pike Combat?  (Read 6220 times)
Yarginshnarg
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

« on: March 28, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »

I’ve got s saber pike (initiate v4 with quick disconnect and Black yari) and was wondering about any combat tips y’all have. I really like the balanced feel of having a 28” heavy grade blade in it. In my saber group we use heavy grade for all sabers.

Anyway, I was curious about fighting styles and thoughts on the extension itself. Our hit zones are just above the knee and up, all the way to shoulders but not below the elbow (if that makes sense). We also don’t do stabs because we don’t have very protective gear. Hilt hits don’t count as hits, they’re basically just a way to block. So I’m thinking pike is a good way to go for the added control over my blade (more hilt means more places to hold), as well as the balanced feel to it. I’m basically thinking of it as a staff when I practice, except there’s the one end that I can hold and can’t use as an attack, but theoretically can block with.

Aeon LE V2 GB
The Guardian CG
Dark Initiate SY

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »

I’ve got s saber pike (initiate v4 with quick disconnect and Black yari) and was wondering about any combat tips y’all have. I really like the balanced feel of having a 28” heavy grade blade in it. In my saber group we use heavy grade for all sabers.

Anyway, I was curious about fighting styles and thoughts on the extension itself. Our hit zones are just above the knee and up, all the way to shoulders but not below the elbow (if that makes sense). We also don’t do stabs because we don’t have very protective gear. Hilt hits don’t count as hits, they’re basically just a way to block. So I’m thinking pike is a good way to go for the added control over my blade (more hilt means more places to hold), as well as the balanced feel to it. I’m basically thinking of it as a staff when I practice, except there’s the one end that I can hold and can’t use as an attack, but theoretically can block with.

Basically, most of the staff fighting styles consider extremity grip and not middle grip so, you can have a look on Wushu (chinese) Shaolin (Chinese) English style or Joinville Style (French).

Of course, there are stabs but there are also a plenty of other very fun strokes ...

Wushu for example:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_Fg7v527k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_Fg7v527k</a>

Or Joinville Staff

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xmtPeggnU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xmtPeggnU</a>

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »

That second video doesn't work.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:50 PM »

That second video doesn't work.

It works here ....

And with the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xmtPeggnU

??

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »

Working now, on both.  Before it was showing me the Youtube "broken or removed video" image.  Glitch perhaps.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »

Working now, on both.  Before it was showing me the Youtube "broken or removed video" image. 

Cool Wink

Glitch perhaps.

Maybe ..... or Maybe the Force try to protect the vids and knowledge from Dark Siders LOL

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »

Cool Wink

Maybe ..... or Maybe the Force try to protect the vids and knowledge from Dark Siders LOL

LOL  I dunno, I watched it and kept thinking, "So many holes in some of those sequences..."

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Yarginshnarg
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »

Thanks I’ll check these out when I get back from classes!

Aeon LE V2 GB
The Guardian CG
Dark Initiate SY

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »

The saber pike is a really cool weapon, lots of fun to fight with.  I find that the way you use it best depends on how your ruleset regards strikes to the hilt.  Some people maintain that a hilt strike would cleave the saber in half, which makes sense to a degree.  However, the downside to this philosophy is that the pike becomes one huge target area, which makes it much more tricky to use effectively.  Personally, I like to regard the pike hilt as "lightsaber resistant", so that two or three hits will "destroy" the weapon.  That way it's not invulnerable, but also not a crippling weak spot.

At any rate, you're going to find a great deal of leverage with a pike, along with huge reach advantages.  The two variables you can manipulate to achieve different results are blade length, and the amount of extensions being used.  I find one or two extensions to be a useful setup, with a relatively short blade (mine is typically 27" heavy grade).  Be aware that one weak spot with such a long hilt is that your opponent can use the same leverage against you, if he/she gets a good grip on part of the hilt at any point.  This can happen with a blade bind, or simply during one of your attacks (where your opponent parries and reaches for the hilt, closing distance).

For safety concerns, I'll recommend keeping in mind that the extensions add a good deal of weight to your weapon, as well as an inflexible metal surface.  Instead of a short (9-12") hilt with a long polycarbonate blade, you're working with about 24-42" of metal with a short blade.  Be aware of the changes in weight distribution and momentum, to avoid hurting your partner.  Beyond that, ALWAYS wear gear when sparring - I recommend a fencing mask and hockey gloves as a bare minimum.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:31:17 AM »

Well said.

Definitely have your opponent throw on some type of chest armor. I see a lot of stabbing in your future....and shin armor...knee protection. Pretty much a full set. That weapon will have more weight, so even the slashing is going to cause some more impact, as Master Nero already mentioned.
  Personally, I like to regard the pike hilt as "lightsaber resistant", so that two or three hits will "destroy" the weapon.  That way it's not invulnerable, but also not a crippling weak spot.

I completely agree with this statement.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:54 AM »

Why not simply use the weapon it resembles - a pole-arm?  Wink
I'd base it on the halberd and then you can decide which one - European, Chinese, Japanese ... Basically, they all use slashing and thrusting attacks, parry more with the blade than the haft and use a lot of distance-changing.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »

Why not simply use the weapon it resembles - a pole-arm?  Wink
I'd base it on the halberd and then you can decide which one - European, Chinese, Japanese ... Basically, they all use slashing and thrusting attacks, parry more with the blade than the haft and use a lot of distance-changing.

This is also a possibility Smiley

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »

Basically, most of the staff fighting styles consider extremity grip and not middle grip so, you can have a look on Wushu (chinese) Shaolin (Chinese) English style or Joinville Style (French).

Of course, there are stabs but there are also a plenty of other very fun strokes ...

Wushu for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_Fg7v527k

Or Joinville Staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xmtPeggnU

Thanks for the helpful video shares Master Seb.  Smiley

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »

Thanks for the helpful video shares Master Seb.  Smiley

You are welcome My Lady Wink

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 01:43:26 AM »

We have been messing around with a Yari extension pike with a very short blade, only around 12”. The guy that put it together was inspired by the Iklwa, an African short spear. It is named for the sucking sound it makes coming out of an opponent. We labbed for a while against a normal saber and had some interesting results. Might grab some footage once he is more confident going live. As with any trusting attack, safety is a concern. I thought another interesting approach may be to pair it with a shoto and try a spear and buckler type technique.
Reading this reminded me of a fan film. There is a saber pike fight at around the 9 minute mark. Very theatrical and cool looking- not so practical.
http://youtu.be/Cmrusf3P3LM
<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cmrusf3P3LM&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cmrusf3P3LM&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: