Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: I QUIT!  (Read 3528 times)
Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« on: April 15, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »

This is not easy to admit but, if there is anywhere I feel comfortable doing so it's here.
I have been abusing my prescription Klonopin to the point that I took enough last night that I thought I was going to die for real.
I'm also going to stop drinking entirely. I have been drinking a fifth of whiskey a day for pain for a few weeks. A week ago I went into a drunken Sith rage with my Nunchaku and well, lets just say I have one less book shelf. Embarrassed Its pretty amazing how red oak Nunchaku can go straight through one inch plywood. I'm also quitting cigarettes for good. I had some money today and to make sure I didn't spend it on alcohol or cigarettes, I went and bought Star Wars t-shirts and some toys. My new addictions are Saber practice, exercise and absorbing any and all things Star Wars I can get my hands on, from books, graphic novels and games to collecting figures and toys. And I'm not going to be one of those people that quit drinking and smoking and then judge other people (so annoying). So if you do drink, have one for me please.
It's going to be tough, but It's better than slowly killing myself and putting my living situation in jeopardy.
I would also like to thank EVERY one here, but especially Elwood Graestar, Master Venturous, Taegin Roan, RyanG83jkd, Darth Logos, and although we don't talk directly very much, SamHain, Darth Cephalus and tx_tuff. Thanks guys.

May the force be with you all, always. Smiley  

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »

While I greatly admire your drive to quit those things for good, I would recommend winging yourself off of them instead of just drop them all cold turkey. Withdrawal can bring on rage just as quickly as they can, so simply dropping them all without a second thought might have similar affects on you. Just a suggestion, but I would cut out one cig a week until you're done to none and cut back the drink one-quarter less a glass a day or something. I've known people to simply quit one day and be done with it, but others have had pretty intense side-effects from that. Again, it's great that you know the problem and are taking steps to fix it, but just make sure you don't overdose on quitting them (ironic enough?) We're all here for support if you need it. And I feel one day you're going to have a bigger Star Wars collection than Skywalker Ranch.  Tongue

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »

While I greatly admire your drive to quit those things for good, I would recommend winging yourself off of them instead of just drop them all cold turkey. Withdrawal can bring on rage just as quickly as they can, so simply dropping them all without a second thought might have similar affects on you. Just a suggestion, but I would cut out one cig a week until you're done to none and cut back the drink one-quarter less a glass a day or something. I've known people to simply quit one day and be done with it, but others have had pretty intense side-effects from that. Again, it's great that you know the problem and are taking steps to fix it, but just make sure you don't overdose on quitting them (ironic enough?) We're all here for support if you need it. And I feel one day you're going to have a bigger Star Wars collection than Skywalker Ranch.  Tongue

Thanks brother. Good advice. this has been a long time coming. I really appreciate the support. Smiley

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »

Yep - we're here man.

Good advice from Master Venturous.  I smoke and drink, and I'm not sure I'd want to just flat-out stop both...lol  That'd be harsh...lol

I find it does help to have something else to focus and spend money on though, so good job making it SW. Smiley

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »

Yep - we're here man.

Good advice from Master Venturous.  I smoke and drink, and I'm not sure I'd want to just flat-out stop both...lol  That'd be harsh...lol

I find it does help to have something else to focus and spend money on though, so good job making it SW. Smiley

+1

When I said extra special thanks to certain people, I knew I forgot at LEAST one person, that would be you Lord Rapine. Thank you. Everyone here is awesome obviously, I've just had more more interaction with certain people so far and wanted to thank them for that. Thank you guys for not bringing up AA or something too. I have watched family members go through that and it just wouldn't work for me. I'm lucky I've got all you guys here. Smiley   

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »

We're rooting for you GWN  Smiley

Remember: don't trade one addiction for another.  Your plans are solid but make sure to employ them in moderation  Wink

And you're already halfway through: you've MADE the choice to improve.  My best to you sir  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 01:41:15 AM »

Hey, happy to help.

I'm going to start just calling you GW now though...lol
(As in Great West?)

Acronyms!  lol

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 01:51:49 AM »

Hey, happy to help.

I'm going to start just calling you GW now though...lol
(As in Great West?)

Acronyms!  lol

Works for me. Cool
By the way I should mention I'm not quitting the Klonopin. It's for tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Plus I could actually have seizures and die if I just stop. I am going to stop taking so much more than I'm supposed to though. Man, I wasn't sure how you guys would take this information overall. You guys are all even more awesome than I already thought!   

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:22:39 AM »

We haven't interacted too much, but I just want you to know that I'm pulling for you. Best wishes with this, and the forum is here for you.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 02:36:07 AM »

We haven't interacted too much, but I just want you to know that I'm pulling for you. Best wishes with this, and the forum is here for you.

Thank you very much. Smiley

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:11 AM »

Works for me. Cool
By the way I should mention I'm not quitting the Klonopin. It's for tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Plus I could actually have seizures and die if I just stop. I am going to stop taking so much more than I'm supposed to though. Man, I wasn't sure how you guys would take this information overall. You guys are all even more awesome than I already thought!   
Hey-our mutual love of the galaxy's most spectacular weapon ensures our inclusiveness  Wink

On a serious note: the forum is full of incredible people, GW (I'm going to steal LR's idea  Wink) and almost one and all helpful and supportive!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:27 AM »

EDIT I was asking something dumb. Never mind.  Smiley

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »

So hey GW,

And this goes for anyone...

If you ever feel the need to vent, rage, or unleash in some way, but the content wouldn't be appropriate for open forum, just shoot me a PM, and do it there.

Even if it's all just profanity and nonsensical raving... I won't judge. Smiley

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

Depending on the person weaning may or may not work, me it is cold turkey or nothing and mood swings be damned. Regarding cigarettes it has been proven that the actual physical addiction lasts about 48 hours most of it is mental. Other things take longer and can be both, I have quit three addictions each is fraught with their own symptoms and time lines. Will power and understanding friends and family are the only way to do it whichever path you choose. Here you have many friends whether you have met us or not and we are all pulling for you. May the force be with you.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »

So hey GW,

And this goes for anyone...

If you ever feel the need to vent, rage, or unleash in some way, but the content wouldn't be appropriate for open forum, just shoot me a PM, and do it there.

Even if it's all just profanity and nonsensical raving... I won't judge. Smiley

That's awesome. Truly appreciated. You rock!
Same here. If anyone ever needs anything at all feel free to PM me.

Depending on the person weaning may or may not work, me it is cold turkey or nothing and mood swings be damned. Regarding cigarettes it has been proven that the actual physical addiction lasts about 48 hours most of it is mental. Other things take longer and can be both, I have quit three addictions each is fraught with their own symptoms and time lines. Will power and understanding friends and family are the only way to do it whichever path you choose. Here you have many friends whether you have met us or not and we are all pulling for you. May the force be with you.

Yeah, I don't feel like I can do anything but go cold turkey (I wish I could go Wild Turkey Cheesy). I wish I could just have a drink or two but that never works. It always leads to wanting more. I have a really high tolerance and I just don't get hang overs, so unless I mess something up (like acting like an ass or destroying something), there are really no consequences. When you drink for chronic pain there is never enough. I fully agree with the cigarette thing being mental too. Thanks dude. I'm really digging the support from everyone here. I am using a vape pen at the moment (trust me I know it's not the healthiest thing either but it's WAY better) but today will be 6 days without a drop or a puff otherwise.
MTFBWYA

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: