Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt weights?  (Read 4691 times)
rcharles_7089
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: July 08, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »

I bought my first saber, The Guardian. It's gorgeous but way too heavy and contoured for dueling, tricks etc.
Is there any information regarding hilt weights available? What lightweight and smooth hilts would y'all recommend
for dueling and tricks? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. Great community here
btw!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBLuTwT6mM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBLuTwT6mM</a>

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »

We are currently building a table with data like weight and balance point ... Stay tuned Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:40:17 AM »

Obese wan you’re a bad man...and I love it!!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:46:46 AM »

I actually love dueling with my guardian precisely because it IS so massive. It can deliver fiercely strong blows, so much in fact, I should really be using a heavier blade. But that being said, I am a “big” boy, so compared to a hand and a half or two handed broad sword, it seems small to me. I suppose, if you don’t have or aren’t worried about sound, you could just fill the pommel/hilt bottom with some quarters wrapped in electrical tape. I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure it would add extra counter balance. For light weight, fast handling and tricks I like my Dominix v4 le, but I like em on the longer side.

AS

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »

Obese wan you’re a bad man...and I love it!!

Grin

It was the first thing I thought when I read the original post. I was so glad when I found the exact scene already on youtube.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »

Just to impart some real information ;-)

Dark Ages swords are some of the lightest around, weighing about 800 g. The worst part of that movie is, where he uses a grinder to make a scimitar out of the sword - not only because there's no explanation how he formed the curvature, but also because scimitars are actually about double the weight of Viking swords.  Grin
Michael Crichton should have done SOME research before writing ...  Wink

It can deliver fiercely strong blows
Hilt weight has no role in how strong your blows are. Leverage has - so the LENGTH of a hilt has more impact on acceleration and power.

Hilt weights serve as counter-balance to the weight of the blade, so if one likes Heavygrades, a weighty hilt comes in handy. Using a lighter blade, a heavy hilt transfers the Point of Balance too far back, so the blade is harder to control.

Real swords tend to have their PoB farther down the blade, if intended primarily for cutting, and closer to the grip if intended for thrusting.

Hilt-weights are relative, as the pommel can often be switched ...

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

AstraVlad
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »

Dark Ages swords are some of the lightest around, weighing about 800 g.
Are you sure? All sources I have ever read give 1200-1500 grams for a Carolingian sword. It is still pretty light (an average rapier in 17th century weighted about the same) but nowhere near as light as 800 grams (a weight of a smallsword).

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 05:08:33 AM »

Are you sure?
Yep, I am. The swords depicted in the movie in reality weigh about 800 - 1000 g, often having a very flat blade. Of course, there's no "standard weight". Wink
but nowhere near as light as 800 grams (a weight of a smallsword).
Smallsword ... pfff.  Cheesy I have a sidesword that weighs 800 g, based on an original from the Vienna Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer I handled there myself.
Rapiers tend to be heavier because of the complex hilt, but have their PoB almost at the cross, so don't feel that heavy. I've handled specimens of 1800 g - with a blade of 130 cm.

Just for a ratio: Typical longswords (two-handed use) weigh about 1500 - 1700 g.

Sabers

AstraVlad
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »

Just for a ratio: Typical longswords (two-handed use) weigh about 1500 - 1700 g.

Yes, they are, but they often were heavily tapered (I hope it is the right English term in that context) while early medieval swords maintain almost the same width throughout the blade.

Of course, modern interpretations of early medieval swords are almost always too heavy (partially because they have too long and big hilts, partially because they have thick blunt edges and partially because people think that medieval weapons must be heavy and cumbersome) but I sincerely doubt that 800-gram swords were common in the 8th-10th century.

Here is an article about Viking-era swords with examples of different historical swords weighting from 1 to 1,6 kilograms: http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_sword.htm

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »

Here is an article about Viking-era swords with examples of different historical swords weighting from 1 to 1,6 kilograms:
Maybe I'm just blind - but I cannot find any sources linked on this site.

Yes, they are, but they often were heavily tapered (I hope it is the right English term in that context) while early medieval swords maintain almost the same width throughout the blade.
Oakshott Type X is described as a "very flat blade" - originals can be so flat as to become almost invisible when seen from the right angle (and sharpened).

But this is a forum on Lightsabers - let's just say that the scene is ridiculous.  Wink

Sabers

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »

Begging your pardon, my master, but I was speaking in a more general sense about the overall mass of the guardian hilt, with the standard pommel, being able to be a more formidable overall weapon than compared to my Dominix, for instance. I use 36” Ultraedge blades in my longer hilts, and 32” Ultraedge blades in my shorter hilts. Young rcharles had referenced that specific hilt, and I may have derailed his topic by going into detail about how I feel about it’s handling characteristics, albeit a rather poor description of those. Please accept my apologies for my ignorance.

AS

AstraVlad
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 06:46:23 AM »

But this is a forum on Lightsabers - let's just say that the scene is ridiculous.  Wink
And it definitely is Smiley

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »

Begging your pardon, my master, but I was speaking in a more general sense about the overall mass of the guardian hilt, with the standard pommel, being able to be a more formidable overall weapon than compared to my Dominix, for instance. I use 36” Ultraedge blades in my longer hilts, and 32” Ultraedge blades in my shorter hilts. Young rcharles had referenced that specific hilt, and I may have derailed his topic by going into detail about how I feel about it’s handling characteristics, albeit a rather poor description of those. Please accept my apologies for my ignorance.
No need to apologize!
There are probably a ton of people out there that share your impression. When it comes to weapons, personal preferences sometimes are more important than mere physics. I just wanted to get those facts into the discussion.  Wink

Sabers

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: