Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Projects while I wait  (Read 1543 times)
DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« on: August 13, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »

Just because I'm not on here as much as I would like to be ( as we all know life happens everyday), doesn't mean I'm not working on my collection customization's.
Here are few things I've done over the last month or so and am still working on. Obviously I love weathering and grip improvement, as most of my sabers are weathered and/or gripped to some degree.

The Aeon V4 was undercoated with a truck bed coating then hit gold and clears coats. I intentionally painted with the blade on and happily got the results I was looking for. The grip on this is absolutely amazing

The SI is in the middle of a full electronics upgrade. This will be my first sound install.

The Sentinel was a $200 MB with BR/VA, obs lite, and an appetite for batteries. The color combo is terrible since after about 10 minutes the batteries get low enough that you can't see the flash. Maybe it's better with Li-Ion.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:26:28 PM »

That Sentinel isn't weathered. That's more like "We dropped it in a swamp and left it for several years, went back and retrieved it, then cleaned it up as best we could." Wink

I love your work on all of those, but the gold Aeon is my favorite.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:33:07 PM »

Your weather technique is really unique and flows well.  It looks like the sabers were lost  space or during battle and was found decades later.  Love that gold in the Aeon. What type of bed liner product did you use?

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:18:37 AM »

Hi.  That's a nice variety of saber looks.  Something about the color and texture of that Aeon makes it so lush.

I'm not sure why your LITE Sentinel is eating up battery power.  I have a few Lites including with a flash and the batteries last a longer time.  Mind you alkaline batteries for a mixed VA FoC could further drain the batteries and noticeably weaken the purple color more than a silver flash... but should not happen at the time frame you have noted.  The Lite version serves it's purpose for sound, economy and ease of battery supply... but Li-Ions are the way to go when possible.  Smiley

point for the share  Cool

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »

That Sentinel isn't weathered. That's more like "We dropped it in a swamp and left it for several years, went back and retrieved it, then cleaned it up as best we could." Wink

I love your work on all of those, but the gold Aeon is my favorite.

That was the heaviest weathering I've done and I love it. Those basic hilts just scream for customization.

Your weather technique is really unique and flows well.  It looks like the sabers were lost  space or during battle and was found decades later.  Love that gold in the Aeon. What type of bed liner product did you use?

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 01:02:15 AM »

Hi.  That's a nice variety of saber looks.  Something about the color and texture of that Aeon makes it so lush.

I'm not sure why your LITE Sentinel is eating up battery power.  I have a few Lites including with a flash and the batteries last a longer time.  Mind you alkaline batteries for a mixed VA FoC could further drain the batteries and noticeably weaken the purple color more than a silver flash... but should not happen at the time frame you have noted.  The Lite version serves it's purpose for sound, economy and ease of battery supply... but Li-Ions are the way to go when possible.  Smiley

point for the share  Cool

Thanks D7, The texture was a little too rough with just the bed coating, once I added the gold and the clear it was perfect.
The Sentinel doesn't eat batteries. The sound will last a long time, the FoC just peters out quickly unless you change the batteries frequently, even at full battery the color combo doesn't seem to be the best as you can't really see the flash unless you're in a real dark room.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:28 AM »

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2mRcE3kb.jpg?1[/

Thanks, DarthBone. How does the grip feel? Did you use multi-layers? Have a point

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »

I know how it is bone, just because you dont see me, doesn’t mean there’s not work going on in the background. Well done! Keep up the good work!!!!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 02:23:52 AM »

Thanks, DarthBone. How does the grip feel? Did you use multi-layers? Have a point

The grip is amazing. I used two coats of each bed coat and gold. Then used a few rounds of clear until the desired texture was achieved. I did a very light sand on the bed coat to smooth down the  rough nature of the paint.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »

Thanks D7, The texture was a little too rough with just the bed coating, once I added the gold and the clear it was perfect.
The Sentinel doesn't eat batteries. The sound will last a long time, the FoC just peters out quickly unless you change the batteries frequently, even at full battery the color combo doesn't seem to be the best as you can't really see the flash unless you're in a real dark room.

I totally get what you mean about some flash colors being more obvious than others.  I've been disappointed with some that I chose... so have recently become a fan of the silver/white flash which would have a pinkish hue with a red blade.  Red looks great with a Bane's Heart flash compared to the VA.  GB looks fantastic with a red FoC.

What brand of protective sealer coating did you use on the Aeon... it came out looking factory smooth.  

Just noticed that you have light grey 0 rings on your DSI.  I really like what you have done with that saber.  I noticed that within the lozenge windows that there is weathering/distress on the inner walls... a nice detail that is often overlooked.  Smiley

another point  Smiley

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »

The grip is amazing. I used two coats of each bed coat and gold. Then used a few rounds of clear until the desired texture was achieved. I did a very light sand on the bed coat to smooth down the  rough nature of the paint.

Thanks again! I'm going to try this out.

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 11:29:31 PM »

I totally get what you mean about some flash colors being more obvious than others.  I've been disappointed with some that I chose... so have recently become a fan of the silver/white flash which would have a pinkish hue with a red blade.  Red looks great with a Bane's Heart flash compared to the VA.  GB looks fantastic with a red FoC.

What brand of protective sealer coating did you use on the Aeon... it came out looking factory smooth.  

Just noticed that you have light grey 0 rings on your DSI.  I really like what you have done with that saber.  I noticed that within the lozenge windows that there is weathering/distress on the inner walls... a nice detail that is often overlooked.  Smiley

another point  Smiley

I love silver flash with most colors. And yes GB does look good with red. Red also looks amazing with SY. I'm going to fire up an emerald saber and check out the BH flash.

Here's the clear coat I used, I like the satin finish as opposed to matte or gloss for this application

The O-rings are kind of hidden at first glance aren't they? I love those and don't know if I can get more with out ordering 1500 of them.

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »

Thanks again! I'm going to try this out.

Excellent, Make sure you keep a good distance (18"-24") when painting with this or it will get thick fast. It coats very well so you may only need one coat depending on what your intentions for the project are? Glad I could I could throw a little inspiration your way.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »

Excellent, Make sure you keep a good distance (18"-24") when painting with this or it will get thick fast. It coats very well so you may only need one coat depending on what your intentions for the project are? Glad I could I could throw a little inspiration your way.

I plan on spraying the liner to one of my sabers with just to line the grip area and good to know about the distance as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: