Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Problem: Tri-Cree Red/red orange/white LEDs don't work when joined  (Read 1732 times)
sakbaum
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 29, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »

Hey everyone,

So I'm setting up a tri-cree red/red-orange (with flash on clash). Everything is wired up. All three LEDs work individually when tested with two AA batteries. (Ultimately the saber will use a 3.7v rechargable battery.)

However, when I try to test any of the two LEDs together (whether it's red and red-orange, or one of the colored with the FOC,) none of the LEDs work.

Any ideas? I built another blue/royal blue saber in the same way and had no problems... Is it possible the red LEDs need more power?

Thanks in advance!

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 01:27:28 AM »

Actually, from what i'm reading, red LED's need LESS power. If you're using 2 AA batteries, with the LED's in parallel? or series? and, what resistor did you use?

This is probably why I don't want to mess with wiring up my own sabers. Altering power for existing sabers, yes, but not from scratch.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 04:38:24 AM »

Run the positive to all three LEDS, then the RED, red/orange and FOC add the correct resistors to each wire separately (as they should be different) before soldering them to the negative post.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:29:17 AM »

Red and orange LEDs definitely use less power than the blue and royal blue do. You should know the specs of the LEDs you're using, their forward voltage and what mA they need to be run at before you even contemplate wiring them. That's the only way you know what resistor(s) to use. You definitely need resistors with red and orange. Only blue, green and white can (usually) be ran at 3.7v without a resistor. Though, some people put a small one on anyway. (I usually do)

What do you mean you're testing them together? Are you pulling the wires back and touching them to the positive and negative leads on the battery? Do you just have the two AA batteries connected end to end? We can't really advise you without further explanation of exactly what you're doing. If the LEDs work individually, they should work when correctly wired to your board, the basics of which were explained by tx_tuff:

Run the positive to all three LEDS, then the RED, red/orange and FOC add the correct resistors to each wire separately (as they should be different) before soldering them to the negative post.

Visual representation of what that looks like, more or less:

This was for an RGB saber, but the principle is the same. The red wire is my common positive. I have red wire connected to each positive on my colors I'm using. Personally, I twist the wires together and solder them to each other, and to a single wire that goes back to the battery. But, you can certainly run three wires down your hilt if you want to, and do the connection on the battery end. Waste of wire, in my opinion, but it's doer's choice. Orange wire is for my red LED, green wire is green, blue wire is blue. In the case of this saber, I resistored them all and ran them back to the correct pads on the board I was using. However, say I wanted green and blue to be my mains and red to be my flash on clash. I would run the green and blue back to the LED- pad on my board, and the orange back to the flash on clash pad. If memory serves, I used the touch the wires to a battery method to test all of those and they worked fine when I did that.

Also, some people completely wire up the guts of their saber outside of the saber before installing it. I don't personally do that, but it is a method of ensuring that everything works as you want it to before you install it. When you go to install, you can simple desolder what needs to be desoldered, stuff the guts into the saber, and resolder what you desoldered.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »

Would a BuckPuck work for wiring all of them or since the different colored LEDs have different mA?  I have yet to dabble with tri-cree but would like to. 

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »

Would a BuckPuck work for wiring all of them or since the different colored LEDs have different mA?  I have yet to dabble with tri-cree but would like to. 

Yes, a buck puck is a smart LED driver and automatically delivers the right amount of current to the LEDs. However, they don't work with 3.7v power supplies. They work just fine with the 7.4v that Ultrasabers uses in their Li-Ion setup.

sakbaum
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »

First off, everyone, thank you for taking the time to read, think, and respond.

Second, I'll clarify and say at the moment on this project I just have six wires attached to the LED, red to the positives, greens to the red and red-orange negs, and purple to the FOC neg. I'm testing by hooking the 2 AA battery pack--each LED works individually. But if I try to combine any of the two LEDs wires in the test pack clips, they don't work. I didn't have that problem when I wired my blue saber. LEDs worked fine when tested individually and combined. (Again, by combined I mean clipping the exposed wired together in the battery test pack.)

Third, and this may expose my ignorance: do resistors go on the positive or negative wires? The tutorial I watched said to add resistors to the positive. But after reading responses here and double-checking the nano biscotte (I'm using v4) manual, it appears maybe resistors need to go on negative? If so, yikes, and also I wonder why my blue saber works fine.

Finally, I'm using 1.2 ohm, 3 watt resistors for red and red-orange. (none on white.) I chose that since the led.linear1.org calculator recommended 1.2 ohm, 1.2 watt or greater for both.

Thanks again in advance. Sorry for the lengthy post, but wanted to get as much info out there as possible. Hope I'm explaining my situation properly.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »

Yes, a buck puck is a smart LED driver and automatically delivers the right amount of current to the LEDs. However, they don't work with 3.7v power supplies. They work just fine with the 7.4v that Ultrasabers uses in their Li-Ion setup.

Thank you, SFD.  That makes sense to me now.

sakbaum
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

Also, I've attempted my tests with and without resistors (perhaps incorrectly) connected to the positive wires. Always work individually, never work when I combine two or more of the LEDs' wires in the test pack's clips.

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »

If I remember correctly from my electronics classes it doesn't matter too much in this type of setup where the resistor goes as there is only one path. your mileage may vary.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »

Adding to what Xamon said. TCSS adds the resister to their positive wires while US places it on the negative so there’s no wrong way about doing it as long as it’s added

Also, just a friendly reminder that we don’t typically name any products from the other guys.  Cheesy

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

Doesn't matter which side the resistor goes on. If you are using the correct resistors then sounds like the power source. Maybe the battery is close to dying.

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 01:42:37 PM »

This is why I have a regulated power supply, set my voltage and amps and hook up the leads never runs down. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: