Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Comics, graphic novels  (Read 3469 times)
Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« on: September 03, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »

Last year I had a choice: getting an ultrasaber staff or some hefty volumes of Star Wars comics from "The original Marvel Years"-series and I went for the saber in a blink.
Still the itch for comics was there and in the past couple of months I thought I'd give a taste of this artistic way of storytelling to see if I can revive that excitement I had as a kid when I opened one up and let myself being lost in a single square of fantasy.
It was a bit of a mind-split to decide if I should go for the older ones by Dark Horse which are insanely rich but now all stamped as "legends" by Disney or I should get a sample of the new Marvel ones threading along the new canon.
Actually it was a heart warming surprise to realize that there's a good bunch of new canon comics (well, it was a surprise to me who didn't follow this layer of SW at all before) and it's Marvel again who had picked up the thread and literally has been pumping out fresh and new goodies since.
So I though I'd give a go for the new canon and bought a few thin thematic volumes for a start. And it was such a good idea! The SW comics section started growing on my bookshelf: a volume of Lando, a full Darth Vader collection, a volume about Kanan's story leading up to where we can see him in Rebels, and Marvel was brave enough to create new characters like Dr. Aphra, and so on. Wonderful reads and so intensively fascinating artwork in all of them, now they are my primary food for new canon stories and I'm so glad that in this matter I haven't aged a bit: my mind wanders off into the world these pictures and text provide like it did when I was 10.
Fortunately I'm quite late in the game so I can pick these stories now arranged into graphic novel volumes and don't have to hunt single comic issues (and chop hands of scum and villany in an outer rim cantina for them) and also the older ones are discounted enough to make me feel I'm eating a multi-storey cake without breaking the bank.

On the other hand I remember there was a hugely extensive Dark Horse-era I never could have delved into but wouldn't like to miss. One day - being infected by my enthusiasm - my wife came home with a smile twelve parsecs wide and pulled out 3 hardcover releases of old anniversary edition Dark Horse stuff. They're weathered a bit and she told she had to defeat a few Ugnaught scrap scavengers for them but she sourced a full Crimson Empire, a Biggs Darklighter and a Jango Fett/Zam Wesell from a charity shop's lower shelf for one pound each! What a trophy! I loved those too, Biggs' story up till he dies attacking the first Death Star is my fav now with many brilliant cross-references to the Ep4 movie.
So I got the idea that I can actually be confident to pick up some of the Dark Horse releases too - although they're "legends", still not interfereing with the canon if I pick the themes carefully. The question was rather how and where I could get them from, I didn't expect angry mothers dramatically depriving their kids from these graphics novels and filling up charity shop stocks with them.
And then I found out that Marvel actually is releasing the reprints of these legend materials rearranged them into massive volumes (400+ pages) thematically! The Force is strong with Disney and their investments in buying off rights from everyone's hands ever got dirty with SW in any ways! A few searches in e-bay and I already have pulled the trigger for brand new Old Republic volumes 1 and 2 (a mere 850 pages and midichlorians know how many single issues in them) for a fracture of the price they costed when they were new years ago.
Over the moon am I? No doubt!
And in a week or so a new release is about to come from these "Epic Collection"-series: the original Thrawn-trilogy! Never have seen it in graphics novel but have read the books several times so it's a must buy for me.
And the comics-section on the bookshelf is growing silently but steadily...

I guess I'm seriously hooked. And I'm happy that there's a massive supply to ease my hunger Smiley  

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 12:43:21 AM »

Great story, bro. I love Star Wars comics. I'm glad you're not dismissing great stuff just because of that "Legends" stamp. You should collect and read whatever strikes your fancy. Some of it doesn't even come anywhere near canon stuff we've seen, such as the Old Republic stuff. I unearthed my trade paperback of the first several issues of Knights of the Old Republic the other day, I need to get back to reading that. I love the KOTOR era. I also have some of the classic Marvel Omnibus volumes that started in '78 with the adaptation of the original film. I have the first two of those on my Kindle Fire. Wild stuff, much of it is way different than the Star Wars we know from the films, but it's still cool.

I've heard that new Vader series is cool, I need to start getting those. That Biggs series you mentioned also sounds cool.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:12:05 AM »

I can vouch for the new Vader series...it has yet to disappoint

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:18:36 AM »

There is some good stuff here - if you can get a hold of the Legacy Series with Cade Skywalker and Darth Krayt  - the best of the Dark Horse series IMHO.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »

There is some good stuff here - if you can get a hold of the Legacy Series with Cade Skywalker and Darth Krayt  - the best of the Dark Horse series IMHO.
Seconded. And I even didn't like Cade at the beginning, but the story picks up steam quite fast. Also there are Imperial Knights Wink

And I like the 'Knights of the Old Republic' comics with Zayne Carrick (that arc here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_(comics))
Zayne felt extremely 'comprehensible' to me...

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »

Great story, bro. I love Star Wars comics. I'm glad you're not dismissing great stuff just because of that "Legends" stamp. You should collect and read whatever strikes your fancy. Some of it doesn't even come anywhere near canon stuff we've seen, such as the Old Republic stuff. I unearthed my trade paperback of the first several issues of Knights of the Old Republic the other day, I need to get back to reading that. I love the KOTOR era. I also have some of the classic Marvel Omnibus volumes that started in '78 with the adaptation of the original film. I have the first two of those on my Kindle Fire. Wild stuff, much of it is way different than the Star Wars we know from the films, but it's still cool.

I've heard that new Vader series is cool, I need to start getting those. That Biggs series you mentioned also sounds cool.

Yes, the Omnibus is still on my list. Last time when I went to a backyard comic shop I managed to get my hands on an original first edition ROTJ comic book - it's literally in tatters but that childish charm of narration and storytelling is just captivating!
And as you say the legends can really merge nicely with the canon, only after Ep6 it becomes a skizoid experience but one has to get used to it...

I can vouch for the new Vader series...it has yet to disappoint

I love them! Such a great depth of his spoilt character - like a "how to grow up when you're a Sith"-kind of thing.

Haven't heard about them yet but will definitely look for it! Thanks for the hint!

Seconded. And I even didn't like Cade at the beginning, but the story picks up steam quite fast. Also there are Imperial Knights Wink

And I like the 'Knights of the Old Republic' comics with Zayne Carrick (that arc here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_(comics))
Zayne felt extremely 'comprehensible' to me...

Yes, that's the one I started reading a couple of days ago. And at the rate I can inch forward in those 10 minutes before falling asleep every night it'll take a fair bit of time! Cheesy
Zayne's character looks so human, I love how they utilize the time distance to create something completely different but still very much SW. And Taris! There's Taris! Sweet nostalgy... Smiley

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »

Haven't heard about them yet but will definitely look for it! Thanks for the hint!

They are great and SHOULD have been where they went with the sequel trilogy imo

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »

Also the Clone Wars Dark Horse Comics were pretty good  - it is a quite different take to the animated series, much darker and focuses on Quinlan Vos mainly who is much more...ambiguous.

They are great and SHOULD have been where they went with the sequel trilogy imo

Yeah lots of missed opportunities there...so much to work with that wasn't used - as can be said for most of the Legends stuff.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »

Whoa whoa...I missed the comics thread... Tongue

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »

Well, I don't know if this is for any comics or just SW, but if any are allowed, I really enjoy the Flash rebirth Comics, I have about 15 of the newer issues, and they are incredible.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: