Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Force Teachings Way Of The Single And Double Saber  (Read 6711 times)
Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -68

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »

Yeah he's pretty open and eager to share knowledge. As for me, if you're asking about my background, I have a black belt in an American-born martial art called Shim Shin-Do, around 2 years of Epee fencing experience, have studied Jeet Kune Do on and off personally for over 5 years, and have spent over 3 years working with different weapon types in an artistry fashion.

That's awesome very impressive,  Jeet Kune Do  I need to check out im curious I know bruce invented it (I think) is it like Wing Chun at all?

Vengeance is a must death will follow no one will survive
 Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »

I like to think of it as " everything and nothing. " The Way of No Way.

We are real big on cross training. That being said, there is a core curriculum and it varies depending on what JKD school you are at, and their lineage.
For example, My Grandmaster ( Sigung ) is Dan Inosanto. We have a blend of Wing Chun, Kali, Silat, Muay Thai and a couple other arts sprinkled in there ( one of the sidekicks we teach is from Okinawan Karate )  and the core curriculum from the late 60's, early 70's Sijo Bruce Lee used. ( we alter/evolve constantly in this regard. Core basics are always taught the same though. )

I have two things I always try to get across to any of my students, which Sijo Lee was real big on.

1) Make the Art/Style your own. Trying to be like our teacher will not work. We all have different body types, different physiques and different mindsets. Learn proper mechanics ( these are universal. For example - Shifting ) and make the techniques your own.

2) Keep your cup empty. The more I learn over the years, the more I realize how much I really don't know. If we keep an open mind, a basic student can teach something to their insstructor. Everyone is a student first and a teacher second. And yes, we are all always both in life, no matter what were are doing. Learn to teach, Teach to Learn ( our Academies primary motto )

Anyway, all this is a way to say that Jeet Kune Do, to me, is a way of thinking. Not an art. Technically , all JKD schools are teaching " Jun Fan Kung Fu " which translates. " Bruce Lee Kickboxing " ( his name is Lee Jun Fan. ) His approach to street fighting.

By the way, Jeet Kune Do translates as " Way of the Intercepting Fist "

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »

I like to think of it as " everything and nothing. " The Way of No Way.

We are real big on cross training. That being said, there is a core curriculum and it varies depending on what JKD school you are at, and their lineage.
For example, My Grandmaster ( Sigung ) is Dan Inosanto. We have a blend of Wing Chun, Kali, Silat, Muay Thai and a couple other arts sprinkled in there ( one of the sidekicks we teach is from Okinawan Karate )  and the core curriculum from the late 60's, early 70's Sijo Bruce Lee used. ( we alter/evolve constantly in this regard. Core basics are always taught the same though. )
  Thank you for explaining I was curious, I was taught exactly what you said make it your own. Sometimes a person could be really good at 1 thing and only need to do the 1 thing, I'm not sure what mine is exactly yet. Are you a karambit fan Master Resolute? My favorite is karahawk from spyderco
I have two things I always try to get across to any of my students, which Sijo Lee was real big on.

1) Make the Art/Style your own. Trying to be like our teacher will not work. We all have different body types, different physiques and different mindsets. Learn proper mechanics ( these are universal. For example - Shifting ) and make the techniques your own.

2) Keep your cup empty. The more I learn over the years, the more I realize how much I really don't know. If we keep an open mind, a basic student can teach something to their insstructor. Everyone is a student first and a teacher second. And yes, we are all always both in life, no matter what were are doing. Learn to teach, Teach to Learn ( our Academies primary motto )

Anyway, all this is a way to say that Jeet Kune Do, to me, is a way of thinking. Not an art. Technically , all JKD schools are teaching " Jun Fan Kung Fu " which translates. " Bruce Lee Kickboxing " ( his name is Lee Jun Fan. ) His approach to street fighting.

Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 04:24:02 PM »

I don't see my comment, thank you for explaining Master Resolute I was very curious. Are you a karambit fan? Last year I got the karahawk amazing lil folder from spyderco.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »

Very much so. We use it in the Lacoste - Inosanto Method, ilustrisimo Method and Silat. Great weapon. I prefer standard blades myself but train with anything I can get my hands on that can be a weapon. Pens, clipboards, my shoes. ( if someone pulls a knife, and you left your lightsaber at home, use your shoe to whack their hand! better that way than getting sliced and diced. )

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 11:52:23 PM »

Very much so. We use it in the Lacoste - Inosanto Method, ilustrisimo Method and Silat. Great weapon. I prefer standard blades myself but train with anything I can get my hands on that can be a weapon. Pens, clipboards, my shoes. ( if someone pulls a knife, and you left your lightsaber at home, use your shoe to whack their hand! better that way than getting sliced and diced. )
  😀 yes very cool, I love blades i collect combat folders only high end but not custom. I like a karambits you don't need to enter deep but the glide will create a bad wound and it works so well in circles. What is your favorite weapon for defense? I know we can't carry our lightsabers everywhere 😀

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 01:12:13 AM »

My favorite personal defense weapon is an expandable baton that fits in the palm of your hand. Extends to 34". Only good for 5 - 6 really good swings or witicks but it gets the job done. Doubles as a " roll of quarters " if I dont expand it. The spring is strong, so the initial attack can be surprising. Cheap too. I pass them out at Self Defense/Women's Self Defense Seminars on occasion.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 01:19:25 AM »

My favorite personal defense weapon is an expandable baton that fits in the palm of your hand. Extends to 34". Only good for 5 - 6 really good swings or witicks but it gets the job done. 

The police in the UK were issued these batons a while ago. They were called ASPs (as in snake). The springs were so strong you had to push the tip into the ground and use your full bodyweight pressing down to retract and close it.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 01:40:56 AM »

thats the one.

If aimed properly, can be disabling.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 01:48:13 AM »

Hello Master Resolute,

In the UK the police are restricted in where they can aim and hit a suspect. However n the hands of a member of public (and in other countries) using the baton as you describe would be effective. I did see one fired down onto the pavement and it left a dent in the paving slab.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 01:58:36 AM »

Hey For Tyeth.

definitely would stun someone. imagine taking that kind of damage to the face or chest. The surprise factor is why it's my favorite.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 02:05:24 AM »

definitely would stun someone. imagine taking that kind of damage to the face or chest. The surprise factor is why it's my favorite.

I'd rather not imagine it but I know what you mean. It would be like the meme of Luke pointing a lightsaber at his own face. It would leave a nasty hole.

And the fact the baton collapses for transport does make it a good self defence weapon.

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 02:42:17 AM »

My favorite personal defense weapon is an expandable baton that fits in the palm of your hand. Extends to 34". Only good for 5 - 6 really good swings or witicks but it gets the job done. Doubles as a " roll of quarters " if I dont expand it. The spring is strong, so the initial attack can be surprising. Cheap too. I pass them out at Self Defense/Women's Self Defense Seminars on occasion.

lol me also and completely agree, I'm glad you said that my channel is new so trying to broaden my content. Have you seen this 1? https://youtu.be/0dmLMCG_lUQ

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 02:52:30 AM »

And points for my Master and light for force brother Tyeth

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: