Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Stunt lightsaber laws?  (Read 5970 times)
Ken at Sunrise
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 16

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »

I would have never guessed that a pretend Light Saber could be considered a weapon, let alone dangerous, and have restrictions. This is a bit sarcastic but by this logic a yard/sprinkler company must have an entire truck full of potentially dangerous tubing. Maybe the problem is that ours lights up. We used to use all kinds of things as swords and shields when we were kids.

Sorry, I think this sounded like a bit of a rant.

Always try to do what is right.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »

I would have never guessed that a pretend Light Saber could be considered a weapon, let alone dangerous, and have restrictions. This is a bit sarcastic but by this logic a yard/sprinkler company must have an entire truck full of potentially dangerous tubing. Maybe the problem is that ours lights up. We used to use all kinds of things as swords and shields when we were kids.

Sorry, I think this sounded like a bit of a rant.
The problem, I suspect, is that we were kids before Heath and Columbine.  Now the world has gone crazy (or perhaps it always was, but now the press puts it on display more).

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »

Nobody thinks anybody has a laser sword that can cut people in half. So it's mostly about where/how you're swinging it.

This common sense statement is a great answer.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 06:27:30 AM »

As of recent I am a proud owner of a Dark initiate V2, and I just wanted to ask this before I get arrested... Are stunt sabers illegal to carry in public? Like in a park? I know they can be used **as** A weapon, but that's not my intention. I have a friend I'm meeting at a park and I wanted to bring my saber to show him, but I want to make sure I won't get frisked by the police for carrying it in public. I know this sounds like a silly question but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance

-T

I carry mine all over the place. Public transit, college campuses, malls, churches, airports, parks, Ubers... I actually carry it because it can be used as a weapon if necessary since I live in a relatively dangerous area. Also makes a great flashlight for ill-lit places. Mine are always blade-in heavy-grade (except going through airport security because they have to fit in my carryon). Never been questioned about whether it was permitted to carry except for once by a drunk guy outside of the grocery store (which would fall under reasons why I carry it) and two idiot teens at the airport who jokingly asked if it was a pipe bomb. It's a great conversation starter though! Either people ask "What kind of instrument is that" or "Excuse me, but is that a lightsaber?" Granted, I am a tiny female who barely weighs 100 lbs and is relatively unintimidating at a glance, so profiling isn't really an issue, but it might be for some.

Ultimately, I think common sense is the issue. Be aware of your surroundings and if you think it might be perceived as a danger to others, keep it stowed as possible.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Darth Vaius
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -10

Dark Side Points Only Please

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:17 AM »

I live in Columbus,OH. I've carried my hooked to my belt and the blades in a bag. I've done training at parks. About the only time cops bother me is to check them out and ask where I got them at which point I whip out the trusty US Business Cards lol

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 04:19:59 PM »

Echoing the above.   Most people just want to know what it is and then where I got it.    I did have a guy whip out a plastic toy saber once and want to duel me.   I tried to decline and ended up dueling as light-contact as possible to keep from breaking his blade.   My daughters and I are planning a choreographed duel as well, to use with our churches' block party outreach missions to draw in a crowd for the puppet teams and story time.  :-)  IF we pull that off I'll try to get some video and post it...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »

An alternate viewpoint occurs to me.  In shopping for the wife's "Happy Birthday/Don't Be Mad That I Got a Saber First" gift, I saw some pretty pointy looking hilts.

The War Glaive, the Raven all have what looks like knife blades on the end of a handle.  Walk around with that in hand, and somebody's gonna call the cops

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »

An alternate viewpoint occurs to me.  In shopping for the wife's "Happy Birthday/Don't Be Mad That I Got a Saber First" gift, I saw some pretty pointy looking hilts.

The War Glaive, the Raven all have what looks like knife blades on the end of a handle.  Walk around with that in hand, and somebody's gonna call the cops

I've been stopped a few times, but once the officer/security/whoever figured out 1) they aren't sharp and 2) it's just an over glorified flashlight, they have all let me go unobstructed

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »

"Over-glorified flashlight" lol

I would imagine you would be fine. I've carried one on my belt, in my car, fully assembled in hand, etc and not had any problems, although I live in a rural area, and like LR I have the "pretty un-threatening looking female" thing working in my favor...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »

I would imagine you would be fine. I've carried one on my belt, in my car, fully assembled in hand, etc and not had any problems, although I live in a rural area, and like LR I have the "pretty un-threatening looking female" thing working in my favor...

That is actually the description I give to security peeps when they ask me about it

I wear mine on my belt all the time, and because I am definitely not a "pretty unthreatening looking female" I get stopped quite often. never lasts more than 5 minutes though.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »

Some of my ACTUAL flashlights* get me unwanted attention from the neighbors and the police, I am neither petite nor female, and while I feel pretty non-threatening, my beard seems to offset that in many people's minds.

*Comes from being a flashoholic, but what are you going to do?

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:19 PM »

I'm not petite either. I guess "pretty girl with lightsaber" isn't threatening at all. XD

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 09:39:20 PM »

I'm not petite either. I guess "pretty girl with lightsaber" isn't threatening at all. XD
Depends on the audience... when I was in high school, a pretty girl was always VERY intimidating, light saber or not!  LOL

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 04:40:11 AM »

I have researched several places across the US for travel purposes and found nowhere that even covers our toys. They could be considered a type of club or bludgeon by some overreaching authorities but it shouldn't go beyond a brief questioning. I have carried them around in several states and 3 countries with the blades both in and out. I nearly always wear on one my belt without a blade installed, including onto domestic airline flights, not just in the terminals which I also do regularly, and at work where I am specifically prohibited to carry any sort of weapon.
The ONLY place I have ever been told they are not allowed is Cinemark owned theaters but they usually don't notice them and when they do they just remind me its not allowed for next time.

Funny story: at a meet in a park with some friends I was asked by an individual I though was park personel whats different between ours and the less expensive toys. I replied "Cause we can beat people with em," just as we came under a street lamp and I saw that his uniform was actually local PD. He laughed and told us to be careful.

Another time I started a duel with a frined of mine in the middle of a side walk. A town police officer approached us and when we paused to see what he had to say he pulled out his phone and sat on a bench and said "I gotta film this. The other guys arent gonna believe me."

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:34 PM »

Here is what the TSA says about "Sabers on a Plane"
Light Saber
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

Note also that every inquiry is annotated with the following:

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: