Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Building a saber  (Read 1875 times)
spartan158
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 29, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »

Wanting to build a  saber from scratch but not quite sure how to build one or what parts i would even need do u use a lightsaber body or do i build an empty hilt. I want it to be able to pick out every piece of it out and put sound in it.  Can any one help a padawan out

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:47:35 PM »

Research, and when I say that I don't just mean ask questions.

There are several parts of light sabers here and at TCSS that you can mix and match to make the saber you want. Getting the saber hilt parts and putting them together are easy as long as you are using MHS parts. They just screw together.

Adding power and sound gets a little harder. Seriously do some research. Search here, search YouTube etc.. to learn. Once you do since reason and you have some kind of idea what you want and how to do it, then you can ask questions to narrow it down.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

DarthRadox
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:33:33 PM »

Spartan,

I am going down the same line as you it seems, so i will try to share what i have learned so far while being as helpful as i can you will need to think your ideas through thoroughly, research as much as possible, rethink your ideas again.

I don't know you or your skill levels, what tools you have or what materials you intend to work with so this maybe a little vague.

I looked at a lot of pictures to get ideas for parts or styles i would like to incorporate in my design.
Next i looked at materials i might want to use and how i was going to work with them and how they would make my design more or less feasible.

Now what do you want the saber for, initially mine was to be a display item then i got looking at sound cards and lights. Certain aspects of the saber i am constructing probably wont lend well to being a functioning unit and at this point i think i have decided to make the item as it was intended due to potential difficulties with fitting a blade and speaker. Maybe this will get a crystal chamber.

With this all in mind, i think i will move on to a project for the son of a friend and put mine aside for contemplation.

So saber two.

i am currently looking for materials to compliment what i already have  and this unit i think will follow a more movie style.

I have access too a (via work or my own)

a band-saw
a chop-saw
mini lathe
Colchester 2500 master lathe
Mill and a pillar drill
as well as numerous hand tools
and a TIG welder

So materials wise i have enough options to use anything really.

You might say i had my practice run already so i know where i went wrong, ok wrong is really accurate i changed my mind mid flow and got tempted by pretty things.

This saber is going to start life with the need for a speaker, sound card and led's so that decides the start of my design which will probably end up following accepted standards because they are simple and effective.
If you don't have the skill set or tools to work with brass,stainless,copper,ally then a better idea might be to order hilt parts from the supplier of choice. You can mix and match to create your vision

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 02:10:41 AM »

As mentioned think of what your applications for the saber will be. I built one from scratch for a martial artist and kept it sleek and simple as well as highly durable. I made another for a cosplayer and went a little bit bulkier and much more flashy. Both had sound, but one was basic sound like an Obsidian lite and the other was multiple fonts with full color changing capability. Both needed a couple of changes and additional parts, after I got what I thought would be all of my pieces, in order to make the concepts work.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

LSUJedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

Strive for the light. Accept the dark.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:05:15 PM »

Depends on what level of "from scratch" you're looking for. If you're talking about starting with metal pipe and sawing and drilling, etc, I can't help you, that's well beyond me.

But, if you're looking at buying the individual parts and assembling them, that's much simpler. US has empty hilts, which is basically the hilt body, pommel, and emitter with hole drilled in body for switch. You can customize the pommel and emitter, mostly, that comes with the hilt.

If you want to take it a step further, you can buy the body, pommel, and emitter separately.

For electronics, maybe begin with a stunt saber, or migrate the electronics from another saber like I did with my first build. If you already have a saber, unscrew the pommel and emitter and take a look inside. Once you understand what everything is, it's actually not that complicated. Even soldering is a cheap and easy skill to learn for the purposes of wiring the saber. Plenty of diagrams on here to help you out with that bit.

First step I think is to decide what exactly you want your saber to look (and maybe sound) like, and how much time and money you are willing to invest.

Alekso Lor'ens <------ X ------> Darth Emrys

Dem Sabers:
DIY Archon v3.1 - Consular Green
Bellicose - Guardian Blue
Initiate v3 LE - Violet Amethyst
Double-bladed Apprentice v5 LE - Fire Orange
Dark Initiate - Consular Green
Dark Initiate - Blazing Red

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: