Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Obi-Wan vs Vader ANH Reimagined  (Read 5209 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: May 08, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »

Re-imagining of Vader and Obi-Wan's duel to make them move a bit faster.  We know that in the original film, the hindrance of the technology and the age of Alec Guinness gave a very slow paced duel.  But it was very "Samurai" in that the movements were precise and not full of flourishes.  This give a bit more flash it the fight but, I feel, doesn't go too far with it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k</a>

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:46:22 PM »

That is INCREDIBLE Tepes!  It really is in the spirit of Star Wars and a legitimate improvement!

Where did you find that?

Point  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

bws
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 6

Lightside points please

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »

Very cool. Maybe they should put that in when they re release the original trilogy

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:29:16 AM »

That is INCREDIBLE Tepes!  It really is in the spirit of Star Wars and a legitimate improvement!

Where did you find that?

Point  Smiley

I found the channel's teaser a year ago and Subbed to them to get the finished product.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:32:33 AM »

This is making the rounds all over the internet.
Glad you posted it, because I was about to, if no one did. Awesome scene, and great work put into this. I think Old Ben could've fought like this, but not old Sir Alec

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »

great find Tepes. I found something like this a while back, but this one is much better

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »

Yes!!!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »

I found this video early this week myself.  Really good work

jillian
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 27

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »

I saw this video, too and thought it was a really good remake of the scene. I think it really shows the anger Vader has for Obi-wan as well the rage he has about loosing so badly on Mustafar. He's been stewing on his defeat for years, especially given he's always thought he was better the better Jedi, and he finally has a chance at revenge.  

Special effects aside (which are also way cooler), I don't think the battle in the original E-IV had this level of passion in it.

Point for posting.  Smiley

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:41:04 AM »

This video is practically breaking the Star Wars side of the internet at the moment. It's so wicked, and so worth the wait. I remember watching the teaser the guy posted about it a year ago.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »

I'll go against the grain here and say that though I can appreciate the beauty, cinematography, choreography, visual effects, etc. I actually feel like I like the original better.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »

I'll go against the grain here and say that though I can appreciate the beauty, cinematography, choreography, visual effects, etc. I actually feel like I like the original better.
Care to elaborate. I'd like to hear your reasoning

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 12:11:59 AM »

Care to elaborate. I'd like to hear your reasoning

I don't know. I just feel like this does not fit the tone of ANH at all. Part of what makes the original trilogy such classics is that they have a very distinct feel to them. The Prequels have their own feel, and the Sequels their own. This feels more like a video game, or a mixture between the feel of the prequels and the sequels. It just doesn't fit within the originals, if that makes any sense.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »

This is the way it SHOULD HAVE BEEN! The power, the passion, the sheer speed of it...two warriors, totally confident in their ability, fighting to the death. Everytime I watch this scene, from now on, I will see it this way. Well done.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 01:21:51 AM »

I don't know. I just feel like this does not fit the tone of ANH at all. Part of what makes the original trilogy such classics is that they have a very distinct feel to them. The Prequels have their own feel, and the Sequels their own. This feels more like a video game, or a mixture between the feel of the prequels and the sequels. It just doesn't fit within the originals, if that makes any sense.

Your not the first I've heard with that opinion, and it really does illustrate the different ways we see Star Wars.  For me, and it seems others, we are not viewing them as Prequels, Original Trilogy, Sequel Trilogy...but as one whole. yes they all have different "feels" about them because of not only the era's they take place in but also when they were filmed.  ANH had a lot against it when it came to the duel.  Lucas didn't really have the full story solid yet, Prowse had no interest in learning choreography, Sir Alec was a 62 year old man with no training, the on set lightsabers were very fragile so they could only really tap them and they had to rotoscope the blades over each film cell.  All this lead to a very slow paced duel that, tbh, didn't have a lot of heart to it.  For many though this was their first taste of Jedi vs Sith...be it you saw it in 77 or were younger and saw it. 
    While it may work within the OT, in the larger it doesn't.  There is no in universe reason for them to be that sluggish.  This fight shows two aged and more experienced warriors who abandoned the over flashy flourishes for the most part and are focused on ending the fight that has brewed for 20 years.  Also the physical manifestation of Vader's rage in his movements.  For me, it works much better than the original duel.  Doesn't mean I think it should be edited in to all copies of ANH nor is it without its flaws, mostly due to the fact its fan made and not big budget.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: