Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian Lite vs V4 vs Diamond for dueling...  (Read 3796 times)
Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« on: July 08, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »

So I am kinda wanting a sound saber for dueling, well, I want one and I want to be able to duel with it.  In terms of reliability when dueling, what are the hive mind thoughts, pros, cons, et al. 

Thank you for your input.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »

when I've dueled, I don't really notice the sounds.

so it might be worth considering the FX from an audience rather than fighter perspective.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »

when I've dueled, I don't really notice the sounds.

so it might be worth considering the FX from an audience rather than fighter perspective.

I have stunt sabers, and I want sound for fun, and most of my dueling has little audience.  We mostly do lightsaber fight night in a maze...

I just know I'm going to want to be able to duel with the saber that has sound, and want to know that it will stand up well.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »

It will. Even the boards are designed in a way that they're combat-ready.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »

Are you asking which sound board will hold up better, lite vs V4? I have both and I think the batteries come loose easier on the lite than the V4. So my opinion is that V4 is better for what you are looking for.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 10:45:05 PM »

Are you asking which sound board will hold up better, lite vs V4? I have both and I think the batteries come loose easier on the lite than the V4. So my opinion is that V4 is better for what you are looking for.

Yeah.  What about Diamond?  Less worried about the color switching, but it's cool, and if I do it I may want to go all in.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 12:25:34 AM »

I don’t have a diamond, but the v4 battery holder is superior to the lite.  I’ve had plenty of battles with my Menace staff and the goodies inside have held up well, and it’s a V4.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »

My friend has an Initiate w/ v3 sound and we were talking the other day (she's had hers for awhile and found out we got sabers and were going to classes).

She did not like using up normal batteries and wanted the rechargeable kind.

I can't contrast with the sound quality yet, but that's a ding against v3 for that reason.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »

My friend has an Initiate w/ v3 sound and we were talking the other day (she's had hers for awhile and found out we got sabers and were going to classes).

She did not like using up normal batteries and wanted the rechargeable kind.

I can't contrast with the sound quality yet, but that's a ding against v3 for that reason.

Not sure you can get teh V3 with standard batteries.  The LITE yeah, but not the V3 or V4.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:45:50 AM »

Yeah.  What about Diamond?  Less worried about the color switching, but it's cool, and if I do it I may want to go all in.

I have diamond and V4 - for dueling I'd say no real difference in sound performance nor issues with the battery holder (same in both) - its mainly the hilt itself that makes the difference in terms of comfort etc. e.g. Archon V4 much smoother to handle than Diamond Emperors hand.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 07:01:24 PM »

I have diamond and V4 - for dueling I'd say no real difference in sound performance nor issues with the battery holder (same in both) - its mainly the hilt itself that makes the difference in terms of comfort etc. e.g. Archon V4 much smoother to handle than Diamond Emperors hand.

Yeah, hilt choice is where it's at for physical comfort, and I have some good ideas where I am going with that.  I just wanted a realistic look at durability. Smiley

Also, points abound for good discussion so far.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 02:53:21 AM »

Yeah I don't have a Diamond, but it uses the same batteries so probably the same holder.

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »

I appreciate this discussion too- Been wanting to get into the sound game myself, but concerned about the longevity and durability.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »

an extra memory came in.  Last week at the saber class, met the second instructor, who owned a Prophecy (if you recall, that's one I had my eye on for dueling instead of the Grand Master).

Aside from discussion on that specific hilt, he noted he's had US sabers for years (with sound) and they've never had an electronics problem.  He contrasted "some other guys" product which did not hold up to the rigors of training (some other students had them)

So, I think you'll be fine, regardless of sound module you get, with respect to durability.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »

an extra memory came in.  Last week at the saber class, met the second instructor, who owned a Prophecy (if you recall, that's one I had my eye on for dueling instead of the Grand Master).

Aside from discussion on that specific hilt, he noted he's had US sabers for years (with sound) and they've never had an electronics problem.  He contrasted "some other guys" product which did not hold up to the rigors of training (some other students had them)

So, I think you'll be fine, regardless of sound module you get, with respect to durability.

That seems like a strong vote for the durability, thanks!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: