Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Truce At Bakura  (Read 835 times)
ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« on: October 31, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »

Spoilers for The Truce At Bakura by Kathy Tyers

I finished the book yesterday evening. Compared to Timothy Zahn, I kinda liked the simplier style of writing Kathy Tyers has. I've not always had a lot of patience for overly detailed exposition (despite my own writing style being so overbearing XD) so it was a nice change of pace after reading five Timothy Zahn books in a row. Here come the spoilers!
I sure did not think I'd like Gaeriel Captison. I'm a very big Jadewalker (Mara Jade/Luke Skywalker) fan, but seeing Luke struggling with love after losing his father seems so sad and realistic. I mean, Anakin just died days ago, and his second appearance was to talk to a resentful daughter instead of his emotionally overwhelmed son. Seeing Luke try to win the heart of a woman who was against what Jedi stood for was not only sweet and endearing but also relatable due to some emotional trauma. We all more than likely try to pursue a person when it won't work out in the end, and Luke got friendzoned in the end.

Oh and Dev Sibwarra! Why did he have to die?!?! I was hoping he'd live through the book cause he was such a poor sad character that needs a home! As Anakin would say... it's not fair! Dev was the product of emotional manipulation, brainwashing and abuse yet he was made to think it was kindness. Ssi-Ruuvi are sick. I really liked how Dev didn't hesitate to try to stop his enemies when Luke freed his mind, yet couldn't shoot his master and caretaker Firirrwrung when he had the chance. Oh poor Dev, I really didn't want him to die, he did so much and tried so hard to write his wrongs, and he was only a kid when he died, and no one cared except Luke. When Gaeriel held Luke and let him weep for Dev... oh Tyers why the cruelty?

I could touch on a lot more, Nereus was cool and Thanas wasn't so bad once he redeemed himself. I loved how Dev killed Bluescale and I especially enjoyed Han, Luke and Leia being all together. Timothy Zahn has a story style where he splits all the characters for the purpose of a thousand complicated plots so I enjoyed a quieter book with significantly less plots within the story for a change. Overall, I really enjoyed Truce at Bakura and the unique twist where Rebels and Imperials work together to fight for humanity that is threatened by crazy aliens while also touching on how Luke is physically and emotionally after ROTJ. It was fun and unique.

What do you think about Kathy Tyers' story?

May the Force be with you

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »

Hi ElvenSkywalker83,

This is one of the few SW books I have on my bookshelf!* I enjoyed the story too and as it was a more self contained story I got into the book much easier. I know what you mean about the characters acted as a whole rather than being scattered all over the galaxy.

And yes those Ssi-Ruuk were a messed up species (especially that harvesting tech and stuff), Luke did well against them considering how beat up he was (physically and mentally).

Anyhow, glad you liked the book as much as I did, I mentioned the Ssi-Ruuk here on the forum a while ago and nobody seemed to know who/what I was talking about  Grin

* Update, I just recently finished Aaron Allston's "Conviction" and have acquired Chuck Wendig's "Aftermath" and the Last Jedi novelisation so I have some more reading to do.

point on it's way to you.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »

I'm about 20 pages into reading it myself, so I had to skip over most of what you guys posted but I'm enjoying it so far. I do like as For Tyeth mentioned that the story is more self-contained. One of my fears of reading the EU Canon is if you do it out of order it's possible to inadvertently spoil things for yourself.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: