Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
Author Topic: Thoughts on The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS  (Read 36333 times)
digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »

I liked it as a movie, as long as you totally forget the great novels that Disney decided to ignore.  I also didn't like that they turned the Sith Holocron into a GPS unit.  I did enjoy the lightsaber combat scenes.

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2020, 02:23:20 AM »

I liked it as a movie, as long as you totally forget the great novels that Disney decided to ignore.  I also didn't like that they turned the Sith Holocron into a GPS unit.  I did enjoy the lightsaber combat scenes.

Ditto on the Sith Holocron. I was literally watching it and my eyes lit up because I knew it couldn't have been anything else. Then, of course, they made it something else entirely. Well, maybe not entirely because Holocrons did have directional capabilities through the interactive hologram but like you said, making it solely a GPS unit was bleh.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:16 AM »

I agree with the Sith Wayfinder looking like a Holocron, but I do actually think that there are two different objects. We see Sith Holocrons on Star Wars Rebels, I guess we'll have to wait and see if they are really different things or not.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2020, 03:14:53 AM »

I agree with the Sith Wayfinder looking like a Holocron, but I do actually think that there are two different objects. We see Sith Holocrons on Star Wars Rebels, I guess we'll have to wait and see if they are really different things or not.

Well, we don't see the Wayfinder have a Guardian personality in it as we do a Holocron.  It seemed more like a piece of science blended with Sith Alchemy to create something that only a Sith could use.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »

Saw the movie yesterday overall I enjoyed it. A few things I didn’t like.

Didn’t care for the force lightning of all the rebel ships. Reminded me to much of the SD in TLJ picking off the transports. Hey look I’m killing off all your friends hurry up and make a decision before they all die.
I hated them kissing at the end. I saw it coming and kept wishing it wouldn’t happen.
When I saw the wayfinder I too thought it was a Holocron. Was disappointed but not upset.

I personally liked the whole “every” Jedi bit. Then again I’m familiar with all the other characters so I recognized all the voices. I didn’t hear Ezra’s voice and missed part of the credits so didn’t see if he was listed.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »

I personally liked the whole “every” Jedi bit. Then again I’m familiar with all the other characters so I recognized all the voices. I didn’t hear Ezra’s voice and missed part of the credits so didn’t see if he was listed.
Ezra’s voice wasn’t there.  My guess is it was intentionally left out to make fans of “Rebels” think he is still alive. Remember, he would be Luke and Liea’s age.  Makes one wonder if Ahsoka and Sabine found him or if he is still out there on his own.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »

Kylo Ren's helmet is a metaphor for this trilogy:

The Force Awakens: "Hey I really want to be like the old Star Wars."
The Last Jedi: "Destroy this stupid thing!"
The Rise of Skywalker: "Let's see if I can somehow piece this thing back together..."
I was thinking about this this morning.

TFA: "Let's do Star Wars but a little diferent."
TLJ: "#$%& tradition, I'm going to do my own thing."
ROS: "Let's see if I can make something decent after some pretentious douche wrecked it."

The Good:
5.  The set design of Exogal.  It was ominous, and reminded me a lot of the designs of Korriban that are seen in Jedi Academy and KOTOR.
Apparently you are easily pleased. I personally thought that Exogal (though a dumb name) was more in line with Dromund Kaas, from the aspect of perpetually dark and stormy.

And the kiss was NOT in the background. They couldn't have made a more blatant statement with a flashing neon sign.

The Bad:

1.  Ben's redemption - one good act does not undo a lifetime of atrocity.  I wanted Kylo to go down like the whiny neo-Nazi analogue he was, NOT get a redemption arc. 
2.  Rey somehow loving him/kissing him was vomitous - he intruded into her mind, violating her repeatedly across the trilogy, and yet she's somehow OK with it because he's "a good person deep down".  I might have accepted her forgiving him, but that was too much.
3.  Sidelining Rose - the official explanation that Rose was being used as an anchor for new characters to Leia and that the scenes were cut doesn't help.  Essentially, Rose helped Finn in TLJ realize that fighting the First Order was more than just one person.  Making her be "Leia's anchor" just removes her agency as a character.  Also, Finn immediately seeming to be connecting with Jannah undermines a lot of TLJ.
4.  Palpatine as the villain - much like Star Trek:  Nemesis, TROS seems to draw from elements of a more successful predecessor (Wrath of Khan in the case of Nemesis, RotJ in the case of TROS).  We didn't need Palpatine back as a villain.  We needed to move on.  Let him be dead - the First Order would have been great as a villainous group to rally against.
5.  No reaction at Kajimi getting exploded - Poe gives us no reaction to this planet (upon which he apparently spent some time) getting blown up.
6.  Zorii Bliss - what was the POINT of this character?
7.  So many opening scenes with no apparent explanation of what is going on.
8.  The ending - So, the Final Order fleet was destroyed, but the First Order base would still exist.  Much like with RotJ, there's still a remnant out there, that was powerful enough to build a giant planetkiller weapon, and kidnapped a bunch of kids, and probably has a bunch of systems under its control...
9.  No explanation of how much time has elapsed between TLJ and TROS.
1.) I think it was more the change of heart, like granddad before him, his redemption was short lived. I could go on to draw from another parallel, but RULES. (PM if you want my thoughts.)
2.) Absolutely no argument. I saw it coming and was like "Please for the love of all that is good in movie making DON'T be this stupidly cliche.
3.) Don't get me wrong, Kelly falls under so cute she's hot, but I didn't mind. Also yes. That whole thing about "knowing something is wrong" is bs. Same thing goes for Rey. You don't get raised in a merciless existence and come out nice.
4.) This made sense on several levels: i) needed a quick ultimate evil to fight that required little to no backstory (since numbnuts killed off the big bad) ii), can't argue that this kinda actually holds with the tradition of the Skywalker saga; Palps being behind it all, iii) actually having Rey face her ultimate conflict of choice vs. lineage made sense. Story-wise, I'm beginning to get on board with the idea behind this.
5.) Meh. Poe's only real attachment to it was an old flame. And honestly, Poe is so rigidly archetypal that his character was more concerned about protecting the galaxy at large. 
6.) Because JJ has a fixation with Keri Russell. Roll Eyes I kinda liked that she a link to a criminal past for Poe. But I agree, all she really was was a lame intermediary to the droid maker gremlin thing. (I actually liked him)
7.) I need some more explanation on this.
8.) You were expecting something to make actual sense in this trainwreck trilogy? They pretty much tried to cram 7-9 books worth of story into 3 movies. The mere fact that the FO "won" after a single attack was dumb. It's like saying that the US would be completely lost if DC was nuked. We're a big country, with a lot of people who would take exception to out capital getting bombed. Despite what some would prefer, I believe that our culture wouldn't simply roll over and die just because someone stepped on our foot.
9.) Oddly enough, none of the trilogies really explain the time-spans between the 2nd and 3rd installments. Undecided

This was my initial reaction as well, but they didn't expressly call it a holocron. I just thought it was a dumb plot device. And there were only 2. <puke>

But then it's not like those tools understand what a holocron really is; it's data storage, nothing else.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:27 PM »

TL;DR
I liked it, despite it's flaws.
Most of it's flaws were a result of the fixes and answers that the fanbase needed after TLJ divided us.
Don't like the sequels? Check your expectations at the door and young up.
Any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars.

---------

Overall I liked it. It was a bit heavy on the fan service stuff, but I thought it had to be after the mess that TLJ created. Regardless of your opinions on that film, it did create a messy divide with the fanbase even more than TFA did. JJ had an impossible task, and the film had plenty of flaws, but I enjoyed it. I mean, JJ had to explain:

- Leia Poppins. How did she do that? Answer: We see her training with Luke.
- Rey's lineage. Like it or not, she most certainly had to come from an incredibly powerful line to be filled with that much raw power without training. At least that's what a big portion of the fanbase expected, demanded, and revolted at about TLJ. Even Rian Johnson hinted that Kylo could have been lying. He gave several interviews where he commented about things "being true from a certain point of view" guiding his decision to go that route, so the door was open for us to get a different answer, and JJ took it to appease the fans.
- Palpatine. I would've preferred him to stay dead, and his resurrection serves as the biggest indicator that these 3 films were not mapped out as a single story. However, in TLJ Snoke was killed off too quickly and easily, so we needed a big baddie string puller for our heroes to battle, because we didn't get that resolution. I'm sure we will get an answer as to how he survived (my money is on a clone that was resurrected with the midichlorians harvested from another Force sensitive being - maybe Baby Yoda), but for now we can simply debate.
- Holdo Maneuver. While it was really, really cool, why hasn't it been done before? What are the chances we see it again? Not good. Like 1 in 100? More like 1 in a million. So you're telling me there's a chance...
- Lightspeed Skipping. TLJ did away with light speed being an escape option, so JJ had to explain how it still was an option, otherwise space battles would become the slow speed chase we saw in TLJ. Again, though, that was something a lot of fans hated. From now on when a ship jumps to lightspeed we will know how they escaped or why they were not even pursued, "Oh, they lightspeed skipped."
- Luke's saber throw away retcon.
- Yoda's lightning tree strike needs to be supported, so Luke catches the lightsaber and raises his X-wing.

I could go on, but this much fan service made it clear that they were trying to right the ship and bring back fans that were irate over TLJ. I have some other thoughts.

Rey's Saber:
- I love the yellow color.
- A few comments earlier on in this thread discussed it, but it is not a staff. However, it is made from the end of her staff. When she is walking around the Lars homestead, you can see it attached to her hip. Looks like it's designed to be primarily a single handed dueler, which is sort of Rey's style.

Force Power Creep:
- Admittedly, I haven't read the books like Jedi Path, but are we getting a bit ridiculous? We are bordering on video game levels here, and it seems to becoming too much of a stretch. There will always need to be an extreme level of suspension of disbelief when it comes to the idea of the Force, and I have no problems with new powers being rolled out as long as they are connections, extensions, or feasible jumps of things we have seen in the past. Or if they things that are rooted in established SW canon. For example, we saw Force jumps in the OT, so why not have Force run in the PT? Sure. Makes sense. Also, we've seen the Force be able to move objects and stop them from moving, so it makes sense that a strong Force user could stop a shot from a blaster or block a saber strike. It's a logical connection. But I think this trilogy ended up taking things too far. I half expected Rey to just lift the Death Star wreckage out of the ocean, or for some random Force sensitive to stop the blast that blew up Kijimi.
- My biggest issues with the Force in this movie were Palp's fleet killing lightning power and the teleporting items (the graflex and the necklace) between Rey and Kylo/Ben. Maybe Palp's power could be explained because it was amplified by being on Exegol, but is the ability to teleport or grab something like they did with the saber and necklace have any basis on what we have as canon? I know Luke's doppelganger from TLJ does, but what about teleporting? Similarly, do we have anything to support that people can duel through visions like Rey and Kylo did while they were separated? Maybe them being a dyad will provide answers, but for now I just ever so slightly shake my head. I am genuinely asking, though.
- I prefer the Force ghosts to be passive watchers and advisers as opposed to being able to physically interact with the world. Just a preference, though, because this is a relatively new discovery of the Jedi.
- Force Heal. Fine with it, because it's not a new ability, but the whole bringing Rey back from the dead needs to be explained. It's probably another one of those dyad things, but I don't have an issue with Force heal being in the saga.

Ben's Redemption:
- I really liked it. It was a series of massive gut punches in only a few seconds. I mean, he senses his mother has passed away, his enemy delivers a killing blow and then saves his life, and then he has a vision of his father. He wants to tell him he loves him (based on Han's famous "I know" quote), but he can't get the words out without losing it. The Dark Side has left him alone and not strong enough to best Rey. It's at least plausible that he would turn back. This was Adam Driver's best scene in the whole trilogy.
- Before that, though, I thought Adam Driver did a great job and the Kylo Ren character was the best written of the entire trilogy. I also liked him after he turned. The cocky shoulder shrug after getting the saber when surrounded by the Knights of Ren - couldn't you just see Han Solo doing something like that? And his fighting style was a good mix of more precise and artistic light side flow that he didn't use before, and it ended with a very powerful flip over, grab, and stab of the last knight. To me it was a good reflection of his overall character arc.

Leia:
- Again, another impossible task to use prerecorded footage of Carrie Fisher and also allow us to say goodbye to her. It was well done, but it was also obvious that entire scenes and the resulting dialogue were built around the handful of lines they had. It wasn't always entirely smooth, but it was good.

Chewie:
- I'm glad he didn't die that way. If he does die, then he deserves a better send off than to die in a Force tug-of-war. Like Luke, Han, and Leia, I think the fans should be given an opportunity to say goodbye on screen. That being said, because Wookiees can live for a really long time, and the reality of it being a costume, I'm fine with him (along with R2 and 3PO) being the carryovers into a new trilogy if they make one. It would work.
- He didn't need to get the medal. A nice little, but unnecessary, nod. Another fan service moment that is more about pleasing the vocal fans than anything else.

Death Star 2:
- If it was orbiting the Forest Moon, then why did the vast majority of it crash on the Ocean Moon?

Zorii Bliss:
- SW always needs a scoundrel, and she served as one. Shady backstory with shifting allegiances? Yeah, I liked her, even if she did look just a little too much like a Power Ranger.

Babu Frik:
- Yes sir may I have another?!

Wedge:
- Nice, subtle nod to the OT that worked really well. I was glad to see him flying with Lando if we couldn't get him in an X-wing.

Force Sensitive Finn (and Jannah):
- The Force Awakens now seems like an incredibly appropriate title that was hinted at by the broomstick kid from TLJ. The Force has indeed awakened in a lot of beings across the galaxy which gives us a lot of new story options going forward, because I don't think this is the last we will see of these characters. I'm ok with Finn being Force sensitive to explain why he (and Jannah) would suddenly walk away from the First Order as well as his strong bond with Rey.
- That being said, I'm not ok with Finn being Force sensitive as a way of answering the question a lot of people had, "How could Finn wield a lightsaber so well if he wasn't Force sensitive?" First off, he did have some melee weapon training as a FO stormtrooper, so he would have a working knowledge on how to block and strike with a weapon like a lightsaber. Secondly, however, he didn't wield it very well. That stormtrooper in TFA kicked his ass in only a few seconds, and so did Kylo after he stopped toying with him. Finally, you don't need to be Force sensitive to turn on and use a lightsaber. Han proved that on Hoth.

Time:
- Please stop giving us the timestamps of 16 hours, 8 hours, and so on. Let us debate if things would have taken days, weeks, months, etc. to play out. Part of fandom fun is us trying to figure out how long Luke trained with Yoda, while also figuring out how much Han, Leia, and Chewie had to endure on Bespin. Another reason to do away with this is the fact that we are not going to crisscross the galaxy in a matter of minutes, so the whole sequence of events in TLJ and TROS would need more than hours to accomplish.

Music:
- John Williams is the GOAT when it comes to movie scores. I sat there as my wife and sons stood up during the credits. They asked me if there was something at the end. I simply replied, "No. I may never get to here these songs again in a a theater, so I'm going to enjoy it."

My Overall SW Skywalker Saga Closure Thoughts:
Preface: If I get some numbers wrong here, I apologize. I'm going in with no fact checking.

Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart (as I'm sure most of yours as well), but I think we need to realize that these movies were designed to be attractive to a younger audience, and I wish we would all remember that with each new chapter, movie, series, etc. I grew up with the OT being "my Star Wars." The Special Edition re-release happened when I was in high school, the prequels came out in my late teens to mid 20s, and the sequels came out after I became a father. My sons are currently 8 and 5. I have had a chance to experience this franchise through 3 very distinct phases of my life, and every portion feels different. My sons have seen nearly everything SW except for Episode 3, Star Wars Resistance, and a good portion of TCW series. I've had the chance to experience it through my own and my brothers' young eyes, my wife's eyes when she came to appreciate SW after marrying me, my adult eyes, and through the eyes of my young sons and their friends.

We have all been blessed with 42 years of incredible films and shows (Christmas Special doesn't count! Wink ). When it comes to 9 saga films, 5 stand alone/spinoff films, and 4 spinoff series, there will inevitably be some content that we do not like due to opinions and preferences, but most of all because we have changed over those 42 years. The fans, the creators, the technology, the characters, the actors, the world in which we live - all of us have changed.

When ROTJ came out, I loved the Ewoks, but I was also a child. When TPM came out, I thought (and still do think) that Jar Jar was one of the most annoying things I've ever seen in a movie. My sons? They love him. When I see how they react to him, it's not hard for me to picture my younger self loving Jar Jar too. The sequel trilogy? It's probably their favorite 3 movies in the franchise. These movies will be "their SW." This is what they will grow up with like I did with the OT. When they ask to watch SW, it's almost always TFA, TLJ or TPM. It is rarely Episodes 4-6, which fans my age almost always rate as the strongest part in the whole SW franchise. I doubt I'm the only SW fan/parent who experiences this. Talk to a fan born in the mid 80s to mid 90s, and they would probably rate the prequels as their favorite, because that is what they grew up with.

My point is this. It seems like those of us who dislike the sequels and "what Disney has done" are the ones who are in my boat - the fans who were around at or near the beginning of this wonderful journey and/or those who devoured and still cling to the EU content, but I think we have forgotten something. Star Wars was, and always will be made for the younger crowd, although there is usually enough adult themes that make it relevant in our grown up lives. It's no different than virtually anything else. My wife and her family love Star Trek. Her parents loved the original series and cast. She loves Next Generation. Think about your favorite genre of music. It it as good as it used to be? Probably not. Nothing is hardly ever as good as we remember it when we "discovered it."

And you know what? That's ok.

My hope is that the older fans remember what it was like when there was no new Star Wars content (outside of the books) for nearly 20 years. It sucked. You have every right to your opinion and to agree or disagree with anything and everything I've said in this novelesque post, but please realize that any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars, and try to find that young place in your heart where you can just sit back and enjoy the ride the filmmakers take us on, despite anything that may fall short of our expectations, because that is where the overwhelming majority of disappointment originates - unmet expectations.

MTFBWY. Always.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:41:02 PM by Landen Se-Sentien » Logged

Signature banner by DarthScrub

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »

TL;DR
Most of it's flaws were a result of the fixes and answers that the fanbase needed after TLJ divided us.

---------

Overall I liked it. It was a bit heavy on the fan service stuff, but I thought it had to be after the mess that TLJ created. Regardless of your opinions on that film, it did create a messy divide with the fanbase even more than TFA did. JJ had an impossible task, and the film had plenty of flaws, but I enjoyed it. I mean, JJ had to explain:

- Leia Poppins. How did she do that? Answer: We see her training with Luke.
- Rey's lineage. Like it or not, she most certainly had to come from an incredibly powerful line to be filled with that much raw power without training. At least that's what a big portion of the fanbase expected, demanded, and revolted at about TLJ. Even Rian Johnson hinted that Kylo could have been lying. He gave several interviews where he commented about things "being true from a certain point of view" guiding his decision to go that route, so the door was open for us to get a different answer, and JJ took it to appease the fans.
- Palpatine. I would've preferred him to stay dead, and his resurrection serves as the biggest indicator that these 3 films were not mapped out as a single story. However, in TLJ Snoke was killed off too quickly and easily, so we needed a big baddie string puller for our heroes to battle, because we didn't get that resolution. I'm sure we will get an answer as to how he survived (my money is on a clone that was resurrected with the midichlorians harvested from another Force sensitive being - maybe Baby Yoda), but for now we can simply debate.
- Holdo Maneuver. While it was really, really cool, why hasn't it been done before? What are the chances we see it again? Not good. Like 1 in 100? More like 1 in a million. So you're telling me there's a chance...
- Lightspeed Skipping. TLJ did away with light speed being an escape option, so JJ had to explain how it still was an option, otherwise space battles would become the slow speed chase we saw in TLJ. Again, though, that was something a lot of fans hated. From now on when a ship jumps to lightspeed we will know how they escaped or why they were not even pursued, "Oh, they lightspeed skipped."
- Luke's saber throw away retcon.
- Yoda's lightning tree strike needs to be supported, so Luke catches the lightsaber and raises his X-wing.

I could go on, but this much fan service made it clear that they were trying to right the ship and bring back fans that were irate over TLJ. I have some other thoughts.

Rey's Saber:
- I love the yellow color.
- A few comments earlier on in this thread discussed it, but it is not a staff. However, it is made from the end of her staff. When she is walking around the Lars homestead, you can see it attached to her hip. Looks like it's designed to be primarily a single handed dueler, which is sort of Rey's style.

Force Power Creep:
- Admittedly, I haven't read the books like Jedi Path, but are we getting a bit ridiculous? We are bordering on video game levels here, and it seems to becoming too much of a stretch. There will always need to be an extreme level of suspension of disbelief when it comes to the idea of the Force, and I have no problems with new powers being rolled out as long as they are connections, extensions, or feasible jumps of things we have seen in the past. Or if they things that are rooted in established SW canon. For example, we saw Force jumps in the OT, so why not have Force run in the PT? Sure. Makes sense. Also, we've seen the Force be able to move objects and stop them from moving, so it makes sense that a strong Force user could stop a shot from a blaster or block a saber strike. It's a logical connection. But I think this trilogy ended up taking things too far. I half expected Rey to just lift the Death Star wreckage out of the ocean, or for some random Force sensitive to stop the blast that blew up Kijimi.
- My biggest issues with the Force in this movie were Palp's fleet killing lightning power and the teleporting items (the graflex and the necklace) between Rey and Kylo/Ben. Maybe Palp's power could be explained because it was amplified by being on Exegol, but is the ability to teleport or grab something like they did with the saber and necklace have any basis on what we have as canon? I know Luke's doppelganger from TLJ does, but what about teleporting? Similarly, do we have anything to support that people can duel through visions like Rey and Kylo did while they were separated? Maybe them being a dyad will provide answers, but for now I just ever so slightly shake my head. I am genuinely asking, though.
- I prefer the Force ghosts to be passive watchers and advisers as opposed to being able to physically interact with the world. Just a preference, though, because this is a relatively new discovery of the Jedi.
- Force Heal. Fine with it, because it's not a new ability, but the whole bringing Rey back from the dead needs to be explained. It's probably another one of those dyad things, but I don't have an issue with Force heal being in the saga.

Ben's Redemption:
- I really liked it. It was a series of massive gut punches in only a few seconds. I mean, he senses his mother has passed away, his enemy delivers a killing blow and then saves his life, and then he has a vision of his father. He wants to tell him he loves him (based on Han's famous "I know" quote), but he can't get the words out without losing it. The Dark Side has left him alone and not strong enough to best Rey. It's at least plausible that he would turn back. This was Adam Driver's best scene in the whole trilogy.
- Before that, though, I thought Adam Driver did a great job and the Kylo Ren character was the best written of the entire trilogy. I also liked him after he turned. The cocky shoulder shrug after getting the saber when surrounded by the Knights of Ren - couldn't you just see Han Solo doing something like that? And his fighting style was a good mix of more precise and artistic light side flow that he didn't use before, and it ended with a very powerful flip over, grab, and stab of the last knight. To me it was a good reflection of his overall character arc.

Leia:
- Again, another impossible task to use prerecorded footage of Carrie Fisher and also allow us to say goodbye to her. It was well done, but it was also obvious that entire scenes and the resulting dialogue were built around the handful of lines they had. It wasn't always entirely smooth, but it was good.

Chewie:
- I'm glad he didn't die that way. If he does die, then he deserves a better send off than to die in a Force tug-of-war. Like Luke, Hand, and Leia, I think the fans should be given an opportunity to say goodbye on screen. That being said, because Wookiees can live for a really long time, and the reality of it being a costume, I'm fine with him (along with R2 and 3PO) being the carryovers into a new trilogy if they make one. It would work.
- He didn't need to get the medal. A nice little, but unnecessary, nod. Another fan service moment that is more about pleasing the vocal fans than anything else.

Death Star 2:
- If it was orbiting the Forest Moon, then why did the vast majority of it crash on the Ocean Moon?

Zorii Bliss:
- SW always needs a scoundrel, and she served as one. Shady backstory with shifting allegiances? Yeah, I liked her, even if she did look just a little too much like a Power Ranger.

Babu Frik:
- Yes sir may I have another?!

Wedge:
- Nice, subtle nod to the OT that worked really well. I was glad to see him flying with Lando if we couldn't get him in an X-wing.

Force Sensitive Finn (and Jannah):
- The Force Awakens now seems like an incredibly appropriate title that was hinted at by the broomstick kid from TLJ. The Force has indeed awakened in a lot of beings across the galaxy which gives us a lot of new story options going forward, because I don't think this is the last we will see of these characters. I'm ok with Finn being Force sensitive to explain why he (and Jannah) would suddenly walk away from the First Order as well as his strong bond with Rey.
- That being said, I'm not ok with Finn being Force sensitive as a way of answering the question a lot of people had, "How could Finn wield a lightsaber so well if he wasn't Force sensitive?" First off, he did have some melee weapon training as a FO stormtrooper, so he would have a working knowledge on how to block and strike with a weapon like a lightsaber. Secondly, however, he didn't wield it very well. That stormtrooper in TFA kicked his ass in only a few seconds, and so did Kylo after he stopped toying with him. Finally, you don't need to be Force sensitive to turn on and use a lightsaber. Han proved that on Hoth.

Time:
- Please stop giving us the timestamps of 16 hours, 8 hours, and so on. Let us debate if things would have taken days, weeks, months, etc. to play out. Part of fandom fun is us trying to figure out how long Luke trained with Yoda, while also figuring out how much Han, Leia, and Chewie had to endure on Bespin. Another reason to do away with this is the fact that we are not going to crisscross the galaxy in a matter of minutes, so the whole sequence of events in TLJ and TROS would need more than hours to accomplish.

Music:
- John Williams is the GOAT when it comes to movie scores. I sat there as my wife and sons stood up during the credits. They asked me if there was something at the end. I simply replied, "No. I may never get to here these songs again in a a theater, so I'm going to enjoy it."

My Overall SW Skywalker Saga Closure Thoughts:
Preface: If I get some numbers wrong here, I apologize. I'm going in with no fact checking.

Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart (as I'm sure most of yours as well), but I think we need to realize that these movies were designed to be attractive to a younger audience, and I wish we would all remember that with each new chapter, movie, series, etc. I grew up with the OT being "my Star Wars." The Special Edition re-release happened when I was in high school, the prequels came out in my late teens to mid 20s, and the sequels came out after I became a father. My sons are currently 8 and 5. I have had a chance to experience this franchise through 3 very distinct phases of my life, and every portion feels different. My sons have seen nearly everything SW except for Episode 3, Star Wars Resistance, and a good portion of TCW series. I've had the chance to experience it through my own and my brothers' young eyes, my wife's eyes when she came to appreciate SW after marrying me, my adult eyes, and through the eyes of my young sons and their friends.

We have all been blessed with 42 years of incredible films and shows (Christmas Special doesn't count! Wink ). When it comes to 9 saga films, 5 stand alone/spinoff films, and 4 spinoff series, there will inevitably be some content that we do not like due to opinions and preferences, but most of all because we have changed over those 42 years. The fans, the creators, the technology, the characters, the actors, the world in which we live - all of us have changed.

When ROTJ came out, I loved the Ewoks, but I was also a child. When TPM came out, I thought (and still do think) that Jar Jar was one of the most annoying things I've ever seen in a movie. My sons? They love him. When I see how they react to him, it's not hard for me to picture my younger self loving Jar Jar too. The sequel trilogy? It's probably their favorite 3 movies in the franchise. These movies will be "their SW." This is what they will grow up with like I did with the OT. When they ask to watch SW, it's almost always TFA, TLJ or TPM. It is rarely Episodes 4-6, which fans my age almost always rate as the strongest part in the whole SW franchise. I doubt I'm the only SW fan/parent who experiences this. Talk to a fan born in the mid 80s to mid 90s, and they would probably rate the prequels as their favorite, because that is what they grew up with.

My point is this. It seems like those of us who dislike the sequels and "what Disney has done" are the ones who are in my boat - the fans who were around at or near the beginning of this wonderful journey and/or those who devoured and still cling to the EU content, but I think we have forgotten something. Star Wars was, and always will be made for the younger crowd, although there is usually enough adult themes that make it relevant in our grown up lives. It's no different than virtually anything else. My wife and her family love Star Trek. Her parents loved the original series and cast. She loves Next Generation. Think about your favorite genre of music. It it as good as it used to be? Probably not. Nothing is hardly ever as good as we remember it when we "discovered it."

And you know what? That's ok.

My hope is that the older fans remember what it was like when there was no new Star Wars content (outside of the books) for nearly 20 years. It sucked. You have every right to your opinion and to agree or disagree with anything and everything I've said in this novelesque post, but please realize that any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars, and try to find that young place in your heart where you can just sit back and enjoy the ride the filmmakers take us on, despite anything that may fall short of our expectations, because that is where the overwhelming majority of disappointment originates - unmet expectations.

MTFBWY. Always.

Point for this! Well-written!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2020, 01:12:23 AM »

TL;DR

---------

First off, LANDEN!! Great to see you man, been too long!
Second off, I loved your breakdown and seeing your thoughts. Especially your "Closure Thoughts". I feel like you actually hit on something that is very very true.
And finally, just so I'm making sure I'm not confused with something or missing something, you said "5 stand alone/spinnoff films, I can only think of three (not counting Holiday Special), R1, Solo, and The Clone Wars. Are there others that I'm not thinking of or is this your "If I get some of the numbers wrong"?

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »

First off, LANDEN!! Great to see you man, been too long!
Second off, I loved your breakdown and seeing your thoughts. Especially your "Closure Thoughts". I feel like you actually hit on something that is very very true.
And finally, just so I'm making sure I'm not confused with something or missing something, you said "5 stand alone/spinnoff films, I can only think of three (not counting Holiday Special), R1, Solo, and The Clone Wars. Are there others that I'm not thinking of or is this your "If I get some of the numbers wrong"?

Hey, TR. Thanks for the feedback. I sent a member a PM about a specific saber part I have my eye on. Hanging out waiting for a reply, or I'll post a new thread asking my question.

As for your question, there were a couple of Ewok movies. I count them as part of the SW family. I didn't really care for them, but they do exist as part of the story.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2020, 07:16:25 AM »

Hey, TR. Thanks for the feedback. I sent a member a PM about a specific saber part I have my eye on. Hanging out waiting for a reply, or I'll post a new thread asking my question.

As for your question, there were a couple of Ewok movies. I count them as part of the SW family. I didn't really care for them, but they do exist as part of the story.

Oh right, I completely forgot about the Ewok movies. Never watched them myself, but I did know they existed.

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »

Well, we don't see the Wayfinder have a Guardian personality in it as we do a Holocron.  It seemed more like a piece of science blended with Sith Alchemy to create something that only a Sith could use.

Excellent Point Ed!

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2020, 01:25:10 PM »

After seeing ROS twice, I will say I liked it as a Star Wars movie just as much as I like Episode I and II. There are some killer scenes and some duds, but this is just my opinion.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2020, 05:41:20 PM »

I read a post where someone said that Leia had Hans medal in her hands when she “died”. That it was her projecting her last bit of energy for Ben to see Han. Which is why her body was still there. Then after she faded away Maz took Hans medal to give to Chewy.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: