Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Totally not SW, but an AMAZING show - Why did you love Babylon 5?  (Read 8104 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »

OH...  And there's this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYloWBP79ro&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYloWBP79ro&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:21:09 PM by Infinit01 » Logged

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 07:02:25 PM »

IT was a great statement.  Though I sometimes wonder why the Humans are the only race with true diversity in the universe...   LOL
For the same reason that "Basic" is English. It's just easier. Otherwise you'd have to have devoted entire teams to creating a functional society with quarks and traditions for EACH race.

At the same time, it can be interpreted as a very Terran characteristic: we didn't breed for traits. That explains our wide diversity.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »

Even with the 90's cgi, The Long Dark, Season 2, EP 5, with Dwight Schultz, was THE Episode that really got to me. 

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 09:36:35 PM »

Even with the 90's cgi, The Long Dark, Season 2, EP 5, with Dwight Schultz, was THE Episode that really got to me. 
It has been faaaarrrrrr too long for me. But looking back, the CGI may look dated, but who cares when the story and characters are what really carry the show?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 01:27:56 AM »

Hmmmm gf just got a Roku for Christmas. Is it a pay service, or does mere ownership of the device grant you certain accesses?
It should be free. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Cern
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »

Lando:

Londo:

"Evil is never the opposite of good, but rather its destroyer."

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »

Yeah.....Lando had far more class....even for a scoundrel.

Sig by For Tyeth

Rabscuttle
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »

Ah, Babylon 5.  Television's incarnation of the phrase "Hell yeah!".  Why did I love it?  Why wouldn't I?  The writing, acting and directing have (with a few admitted exceptions) aged like fine wine.  Okay, the CGI has aged like fine milk, but it was a pioneer without which we wouldn't have the stuff we have today (like how there'd be no CIG Gollum without CIG Jar-Jar).  Every few years, I rewatch the series (it's available on DVD now, but that took a very long time; I made a point of saving my tapes) and see something I missed before.  I could go on and on about the show, but I will leave with two little notes. 

I came to watch B5 after TNT bought it.  A friend and I were up in a cabin over New Year's, determined to play our way through the entirety of NAMCO's Joust on his Playstation, juiced to the gills on sugar and caffeine (which is a lot more like being drunk than you'd think).  We finished just in time to catch the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey (much more coherent than the original, but still a trippy movie), and during every single commercial break, TNT was bragging about the series it was going to start airing. Finally, in frustration, I called to the television "Fine!  Fine!  I'll watch it- just stop telling me about it!".  And they did.  It may have simply been because the movie ended; I genuinely don't know, but it absolutely amazed me.  Naturally, I lived up to my end of the bargain, and faithfully watched the whole show, taping every episode, since my friend told me there were lots of little details that rewarded rewatching.  He had NO IDEA.

Secondly, the depth of the writing.  The story was five seasons long, and  that was it- no matter what, season five would be the last.  That's a big part of why it took so long for the show to get made in the first place.  Seven episodes of season two were written by other people, but the entirety of seasons 3 and 4, and all but one of season five (that one?  Neil Gaiman) JMS wrote himself.  He had what he called "trapdoors" to enable any given actor to leave the show without destroying the story.  In one case, and actor whose character who was dealing with serious mental problems ended up leaving the show, because, it turned out, the actor himself was dealing with his own serious mental problems.  He told JMS, who said he'd respect the actor's privacy; "I'll take it to my grave".  To which the actor responded "No- take it to my grave".  Once he was dead, it couldn't hurt him anymore, and THAT was the kind of loyalty Babylon 5 inspired.

Okay, I lied; one last thing: the music is absolutely amazing.  It integrates so well that you often don't even notice it, but it impressed me so much that I went out and bought two episode soundtrack CDs, which I haven't done for any other series, before or since.

I can sum it up with 1 image:

Most practical starfighter design EVER.

<mike drop>

Better than you even know.  Supposedly, at one point NASA approached JMS and asked if they could copy the design for use in an actual spacecraft.  JMS said sure- so long as they called it a Starfury. 

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 04:09:03 AM »

Without having read all of your guys' in depth comments (sorry, I skipped ahead  Roll Eyes ) for me it's the quality characters, the portrayal of life in space and how tangible the environments and stories seemed.  I felt like it was so easy to get involved as a viewer which just added to the fun factor.  The graphics and conflicts were very cool, and the invention of the respective alien races was awesome.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Skvora
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

Batuu Survivor

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 01:08:03 AM »

Oho, we have Bab5 thread!! This was right in between SW and 5th Element for me as a kid, and though as I read now it was a VERY under-budget show I feel it was done very well with a great and practical kinda story line.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »

I was always torn between wanting more installments in the 5E universe or simply being content with cinematic perfection.

Sig by For Tyeth

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 09:41:49 PM »

What I loved about B5 is what a lot of you already said, the realistic space combat. I also liked the political intrigue.

shadowsoflight
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

I know its a bit of a late response but...

It was a great show, great plot development (I really wish the guy knew that he'd have the fith season. And I do wish they made a movie about the Psi Corps)
After re-watching it, I could see the seeds planted even in the early first season. No harsh plot changes, it was all planned out very well.
I loved Captain Sheridan and his "I won't take any crap" kind of attitude.
I found the episode where they were kicked out of the rooms ( or had to pay an up charge) episode to be hilarious. They just slept in Sheridan's office lol.
But even better was the quote "Now get the hell out of our galaxy!"

Jedi, Dark Jedi, Sith, Rogue, Grey Jedi... Who cares? That's what I say. Me? I'm a freelancer.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:50 PM »

Do any of yall know what actually happened to Ivanava? I've read conflicting reports about it.

Cern
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »

I heard two stories. One was that they all thought the show was over after season 4, and the news that they were picked up came so late that Claudia had decided to move on to other projects.

The other was that she was asking for more $$$ and as B5 was being made on a shoestring budget they couldn't give it to her, so she left.

This has a pretty good breakdown:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/misc/cc-leave.html

"Evil is never the opposite of good, but rather its destroyer."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: