• Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Robes  (Read 2919 times)
Old Republic
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 12, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to any materials that can be used for robes?  I plan on making my own and want some ideas.  The main thing is how it flows when worn or hung.  Thanks to all!!

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »

Wool and wool blends are generally going to yield the best quality for robes. If you're referring to tunics, cotton blends, lion, crinkle cotton, twill, and silk noile are all good choices Smiley

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 02:23:32 AM »

check out the costuming guides and forum for the rebel legion. They're n invaluable resource for questions exactly like this

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Biofreak659
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 02:40:07 AM »

Depends! I used wool, raylon, and chiffon silk for my Darth Maul robe (which I realize I've never posted...), but that's a weird and special case. The normal Jedi robes (big outer robes, usually brown) are made of raw silk/noil silk, or wool. Both of these are more tricky to work with than cotton or synthetics. They're usually also more expensive, but that look better, and they breathe, which is good if you're going to be running around and sweating. You'll want something with enough weight to stay put, but not so heavy or stiff that it refuses to drape or flow.

Its a little hard right now, but your best bet is to go to your local fabric store and touch everything until you find something that feels right. Barring that, I reccommend looking for raw silk (expenzive at areound 10$ a yard), or maybe a wool or thick cotton twill. Try checking the bottomweights section on Joanns, or you can get the expensive stuff at Dharma trading. The big thing is (for Jedi robes), not to get a knit or anything too stretchy. A little raylon is fine, 99% spandex is not. Best of luck!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »

Wool and wool blends are generally going to yield the best quality for robes. If you're referring to tunics, cotton blends, lion, crinkle cotton, twill, and silk noile are all good choices Smiley

Lady Revan knows her fair share of materials to use, points for that, LR!

Old Republic
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »

Thank you to all for the suggestions.  And Biofreak659... that's exactly what I want to do...but unfortunately right now that's not going to be possible.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »

I was re-watching the Prequels over the last few months (second time ever seeing the films since release).

Obi and Ani shrug those robes off before every fight.  Who does that?  It's like that lady on the BBC Survivors show who leaves the bloody car door open every fracking time she stops somewhere.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 02:11:33 AM »

I was re-watching the Prequels over the last few months (second time ever seeing the films since release).

Obi and Ani shrug those robes off before every fight.  Who does that?  It's like that lady on the BBC Survivors show who leaves the bloody car door open every fracking time she stops somewhere.

They do it because robes are typically heavy and tend to catch saber hilts easily while you're fighting. It's possible to fight in a robe.... just not optimal.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »

That's what she said…

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: