Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: To anyone who remembers...  (Read 1996 times)
BodhiQL
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 12, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »

I watched Revenge of the Sith for the first time when I was like 5 years old so I don’t remember how the reveal of Palpatine as Darth Sidious was treated. At the time, was this reveal a surprise or plot twist type of thing? Just curious. Thanks!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »

I watched Revenge of the Sith for the first time when I was like 5 years old so I don’t remember how the reveal of Palpatine as Darth Sidious was treated. At the time, was this reveal a surprise or plot twist type of thing? Just curious. Thanks!

Really it was neither....since it was already known to Star Wars fans who he was.  But I was 22 when the film came out.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

BodhiQL
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »

Ah okay. What revealed his identity prior to the movie then?

Darth Rage
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -78

Fear leads to....ooh a donut!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »

He was Senator Palpatine.  I think there might have been some speculation that perhaps the senator was a clone that the Sith Lord was controlling, but it was just speculation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fear leads to....ooh a donut!

BodhiQL
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »

Interesting. I know he was Senator Palpatine but I don’t think they ever called him by his name in the OT. It was just “The Emperor.”
Thank you both for the information though!

angelsdeath
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 11:08:10 PM »

Really it was neither....since it was already known to Star Wars fans who he was.  But I was 22 when the film came out.

Yeah, this. We knew this going in to The Phantom Menace. Let alone Revenge of the Sith.

May the Force be with you.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 11:33:25 PM »

A few things...... In between the gap between the OT and the Prequels there were a TON of merch...trading cards, novelizations of the films, the Expanded Universe novels etc.  Many of these named him as Emperor Palpatine.   Added to that and the factor for those fans who did not delve into the other avenues...it was the actor.  We all knew Ian McDiarmid played The Emperor in ROTJ...and now here he is playing a major character in a Prequel......wasn't hard to put two together.   Again...this is coming from an adult when the Prequels came out.

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 08:12:17 PM »

I remember wondering how they were going to "reveal" that.
To my disappointment, they just had it in the movie very matter of factly, as if everyone already knew who he was and why he was.  They put NOTHING into it....  kind of like they put NOTHING into him still being alive in E9.  LAZY.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »

To my disappointment, they just had it in the movie very matter of factly, as if everyone already knew who he was and why he was.  They put NOTHING into it....  kind of like they put NOTHING into him still being alive in E9.  LAZY.
Seems like the new normal is to put much more justification and informations into the novelisations of the movies. We have to keep in mind that it was never part of the plan to bring back Palpatine in those disney things. They had no plan all along. And the middle movie took a dump on everything hinted in the JJ first one.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 10:32:08 PM »

I disagree.  Yes he was there in the open...but that was the point.  He was operating out in the open as Senator Palpatine...honorable  representative from Naboo.  While operating in the shadows as Darth Sidious and orchestrating a conflict that would forever change the Galaxy.  A LOT of thought went into it.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 04:58:57 PM »

I was only 9 when Episode 1 hit theaters and I guess the name "Palpatine" should have linked the two in my mind but I was too young to really notice I think. It worked out more spectacularly though, I have an ear for sounds especially when it comes to Star Wars and I remember actually freaking out because I recognized the voice of the Emperor in this seemingly peaceful senator from Naboo. I mean everybody knew that "Lord Sidious" had to be the future Emperor when Nute Gunray and the gang was speaking with him via hologram, but it definitely blew my mind when I saw and heard the "alter-ego" if you will of Sidious.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »

Man hearing how old some of you were when the prequels came out makes me feel old lol.  But this is an interesting topic to get the different reactions depending on age and how deep you were into SW lore.  I remember the line Palpatine told Anakin at the end "We'll be watching your career very closely."  You could tell who knew in the theater by their reactions to this line and the heads turning basically asking "Wha?"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: