Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: SPIN WARS EPISODE VII: Lockdown  (Read 7511 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: November 17, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »

Spin Wars Episode VII: Lockdown
Here we are again saber community. Another year has come and gone, and what a year it was. Hopefully we have spent some time improving our sabering  skills, since, let's face it, it has been difficult to do much of anything else.  So lets see how you all did. That’s right, the time has come once again to break out those sabers, cameras, and fancy moves, and get ready for this year’s Spin Wars!  This is the announcement you have all been waiting for. This makes the 7th year, so I guess we are in the sequels now. That's how that works right?

Before we go further though, there is a lot of new blood in the community this year, so let's take a look back at where it all began.

What is Spin Wars?

Spin Wars is Tradition!!!

Simply put, most of us here tend to do our own things. We do choreographed fights, martial arts demos, spinning routines, costume work, etc. What if there was a way to get several of those things into one project that would showcase a wider picture of what we, as a community, do with lightsabers? That is what Spin Wars did last 6 years. For anyone unfamiliar, the archived videos are here.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fabiOtA6Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXLGXuPRQA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtBuaBYkTjE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUMKS1tbufw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYyPhHF3jQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzI5lK_47gI (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O83Wl90oTI (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=29PknRzYdPY (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6eRU81-nI (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
So what about this year? This year we will be doing one longer video. In times like these we need to come together, so the dark and the light will be integrated into one video. That said, it is not like we have to get along, so bring your A game as there will still be sides, a winner, and dark and light MVPs.

Anyone willing to contribute, post a video in which you show us your saber work. You can choreograph a fight, you can give us spinning, you can film some freeform work, you can do it with lit or unlit blades, in costume or in plain clothes, outside, inside, or on green screen. This footage will be edited together into a montage. There will be a base music track that will be the same for everyone this year.

The criteria:

1. For editing and theme purposes, the video should be designed to accompany a piece of music posted below. Please have the music playing in the video so that I can hear it in the background for timing. If you record it without the music or while the music was playing through headphones, please attach the music track to it before you post.

2. Your video must include a lightsaber (or exotic light weapon of some sort) and be something recognizable as "a performance".

3. Your content should not violate youtube or forum rules.

The details:

If you are interested, please post and say so. Also please indicate if you will considering yourself dark side or light side for this performance. When you have a video, please post it here or on my Darth Cephalus Facebook page. I can rip things from youtube without a problem for editing, but if you post it directly to facebook, please send it through something like google dopcs as well, so I can grab it. Please include the name or moniker you would like to appear in the credits. If you have a youtube channel or web link, post it and I will include it in the description. Please try to submit material as soon as you are able. I would like to start editing in mid December (let's say a final deadline around Dec 23rd) with a video release on Youtube around the first of the year.

The Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUszZJT1MuU
Additional notes and disclaimers:

This is not a professional video. This is by and for those who are willing to donate time and energy to make it happen. I will have to decide what makes it in and what does not. I will attempt to give everyone equal time (provided they submit a long enough clip to accomplish this). I will try to include everyone, and if too many people are interested to do that, I will try to make a second cut. This may have to come out after the first though. If you have a favorite segment, feel free to let me know the time range and I will do what I can, but no promises. Other than that, feel free to discuss and ask questions if you wish. If there is anything I can do to help you put together a submission, let me know. Otherwise, let's make this one a good one.
Now Get Spinning!.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:13:31 AM »

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Excited to see what happens this year. I know I've slacked on my practice this year, but I'll try and pull something together. So consider it a Yes from me, and I think I'll say Dark Side this year!

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »

Epic, if I get a chance to get something put together I'll gladly submit. It'll be an interesting deadline with a month to work with, but this sounds to fun to ignore. If I can get a video done it'll be Dark Side for sure. This seriously rocks!

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »

Awesome seeing some saber-chuck love in that last video! I have a similar pair, and jus got the shipping number for my first saber staff.

I've never done any actual choreographed routines to music with any LED/sabers, but this could be a really awesome way to get back into actual choreographed routines I haven't done since my competitive TKD days many years ago. Consider me interested!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:10:36 PM »

Just wanted to clarify that the submitted video need not be the full length of the track. 1 to 2 minutes is ideal, but as long as it is at least 45 seconds or so of actual spinning, I can prolly find a way to get it in there.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 04:24:49 AM »

First spin wars entry from the man himself: Gary Ripper. Not to the right music, but I’ll fix it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIVcYhs_t0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIVcYhs_t0</a>

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 04:28:31 AM »

2nd Spin Wars entry from Arisaig Winterthorn. Keep them coming people.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaz4cDPwJ6k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaz4cDPwJ6k</a>

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 12:02:26 AM »

Left in the warmup sessions. You'll know when you see the sunset Smiley

That **** Mando Armor V2 with the gorget etc is hard to move in. V1 is much easier. ( V1 is the demo at night. V2 is the one at the end. ) Almost done with the Mando Armor sets. Trying to have one for saber demo's and one for shows. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Dark Side. Don't let the choice of saber color fool you.My daughter may or may not have influenced that decision.....keeps trying to turn me Roll Eyes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCGlJ_y4QDk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCGlJ_y4QDk</a>

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »

Awesome. Getting you added to the list right now Ryan.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »

Spin wars entry #4. 10 more days to enter, so get on it if you are going to.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZK83BeVoU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZK83BeVoU</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 12:30:25 AM »

Spin wars entry #4. 10 more days to enter, so get on it if you are going to.

I'm trying. Waiting for a day when it is warm enough to actually go outside and film.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »

I'm trying. Waiting for a day when it is warm enough to actually go outside and film.
Same, trying to avoid rain. But thankfully my lightsabers arrived with enough time to attempt a submission. Might have even recruited some people if they are willing to try something choreographed. It may not be as achievable with remaining time constraints, but I'm motivated to submit something at the very least. This is such a great idea, so much fun. The call of the Dark Side is strong here...

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 12:00:19 AM »

One week to go.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 01:29:51 AM »

48 hours... so last call.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 01:48:34 AM »

48 hours... so last call.
I have my video I will be submitting. I just have to upload it and put the music to it, if that is a requirement.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: