Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith: Looking for translations of "Sith" across multiple languages. Help me out.  (Read 5383 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 08:58:46 AM »

I recall that it's pronounced "sit" in the French version of the movies. Though most people now pronounce it "sith".

Yes Wink

The fact is the English "th" is not easy to pronounce for us ... like many other things.

Because of that, back in 1977, when they dubbed "A new hope", "Darth Vader" became "Dark Vador"

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 09:43:58 AM »

Yes Wink

The fact is the English "th" is not easy to pronounce for us ... like many other things.

Because of that, back in 1977, when they dubbed "A new hope", "Darth Vader" became "Dark Vador"
Your input is appreciated, and made me realize something of possible importance. For maximum effect my question/inquiry should be translated into various languages to potentially get some of the desired responses. Ironic I didn't think of it that way, viewing english as a common language was foolish in that way. It goes partially against the point of this topic, or assumes people use translation software in other countries where english may not be the national language. But this is one of the most revealing parts of communication on this level, or language studies in general. I love that (and I can't remember which study it was) language showed a correlation to how the brain is wired. So "thinking" in a different language can literally mean thinking differently in general. I digress, but do enjoy this kind of thing very much.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 11:35:54 AM »

Yes Wink

Which can make sense for French viewers that know what Dark means. But still a miss xD
I used to call myself DarkRondoudou. But changed when I watched the movies in their original language.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 12:08:27 PM »

Which can make sense for French viewers that know what Dark means. But still a miss xD
I used to call myself DarkRondoudou. But changed when I watched the movies in their original language.

Yep,

And "Clone wars" translated by "La guerre noire" what a joke ....

The first time I watched an original version of a StarWars movie was the Phantom Menace ... what a surprise to learn about "Darth" Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »

Yep,

And "Clone wars" translated by "La guerre noire" what a joke ....

The first time I watched an original version of a StarWars movie was the Phantom Menace ... what a surprise to learn about "Darth" Wink
oh putain, I missed that! Where? When?? Who was so drunk they could not even translate that properly???
Ah, I was too young to go see it in English at the time, but I think the next one was my first.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »

oh putain, I missed that! Where? When?? Who was so drunk they could not even translate that properly???
Ah, I was too young to go see it in English at the time, but I think the next one was my first.

In ANH, Obiwan and Luke watch the hologram of Leia asking for help.

In the original version, she tells : "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars ..."
In the French version, she tells : "Général Kenobi. Jadis vous avez servi mon père pendant la guerre noire ..."

This translation is so ... stupid ...

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 01:26:38 PM »

In ANH, Obiwan and Luke watch the hologram of Leia asking for help.

In the original version, she tells : "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars ..."
In the French version, she tells : "Général Kenobi. Jadis vous avez servi mon père pendant la guerre noire ..."

This translation is so ... stupid ...
A bit off topic, but I'll bite... as stated I don't know French, but based off the context, previous submissions on this topic, and an inference or two "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Dark War"? I think that's what you're saying was in the French version's translation.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »

A bit off topic, but I'll bite... as stated I don't know French, but based off the context, previous submissions on this topic, and an inference or two "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Dark War"? I think that's what you're saying was in the French version's translation.

Yess, sorry Wink

Yes, they translated "Clone War" by "Dark War" ...

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 05:10:26 PM »

Funny how that works. Thanks Disney Vault, Disney Plus Subscriptions, and who knows what else.

If only I had those, either.  Stupid money and stupid bills.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 10:05:58 PM »

Sith is a name, and therefore has no translation. There might be variations in pronunciation based on the phonics of a language, but that's about it.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 02:16:52 AM »

This is one of those really interesting Star Wars questions that makes the forums such a fun place. I'll freely admit I really am curious why you're looking into this, DarthProdigal. Is it like a fan fiction project?

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 02:34:10 AM »

This is one of those really interesting Star Wars questions that makes the forums such a fun place. I'll freely admit I really am curious why you're looking into this, DarthProdigal. Is it like a fan fiction project?
Yea, I was thinking if there were interesting variations I might be able to integrate them into something. Obviously still working on this conceptually, it's in it's infancy. If I don't hit a dead end and can make something of it I'll let you know.
Sith is a name, and therefore has no translation. There might be variations in pronunciation based on the phonics of a language, but that's about it.
Then that may simply mean I phrased my inquiry incorrectly, and you may be more accurate to my intent. As an example then take the name Michael:
Michael: Michel (French), Mikhail (Greek, Russian), Mihály (Hungarian), Mícheál (Gaelic), Michele (Italian), Michal (Polish), Miguel (Portuguese, Spanish), Mihail (Rumanian), Michiel (Dutch), Mikel (Swedish), Mihangel (Welsh), Mícheál (Irish), Miguel (Portuguese), Mikkel (Danish, Norweigian), Micheil (Gaelic).
This is my end goal for the term Sith, and while the internet can spit out results like this I find it more appealing to get the input of native speakers/fans with personal experience. Although it may make the process more difficult, I've got the time to wait for submissions. Fishing for interesting input I suppose.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 08:17:34 PM »

Then that may simply mean I phrased my inquiry incorrectly, and you may be more accurate to my intent. As an example then take the name Michael:
Michael: Michel (French), Mikhail (Greek, Russian), Mihály (Hungarian), Mícheál (Gaelic), Michele (Italian), Michal (Polish), Miguel (Portuguese, Spanish), Mihail (Rumanian), Michiel (Dutch), Mikel (Swedish), Mihangel (Welsh), Mícheál (Irish), Miguel (Portuguese), Mikkel (Danish, Norweigian), Micheil (Gaelic).
This is my end goal for the term Sith, and while the internet can spit out results like this I find it more appealing to get the input of native speakers/fans with personal experience. Although it may make the process more difficult, I've got the time to wait for submissions. Fishing for interesting input I suppose.
So you're looking for the variations within dialects, not necessarily languages?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 08:40:12 PM »

The desire was definitely across languages, since simple dialect shift would be less likely to produce a different result. Although languages can be viewed as different dialects of writing/speaking so... I suppose I just want people to intuitively understand my intent more or less. And since the first few responses reflected that, I'm not terribly worried in that regard. I left it a little open ended on purpose, even SW Universe languages. Just incase I missed Wookies shouting SIIIIITH in some book published within the EU. I want lore masters, foreign language speakers, that kind of thing to give their two cents on what they know or can confirm (unlike that little Wookie thing I just made up). Trying to anyway, and I hope that clarifies my intent somewhat more clearly.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 10:27:54 PM »

The desire was definitely across languages, since simple dialect shift would be less likely to produce a different result. Although languages can be viewed as different dialects of writing/speaking so... I suppose I just want people to intuitively understand my intent more or less. And since the first few responses reflected that, I'm not terribly worried in that regard. I left it a little open ended on purpose, even SW Universe languages. Just incase I missed Wookies shouting SIIIIITH in some book published within the EU. I want lore masters, foreign language speakers, that kind of thing to give their two cents on what they know or can confirm (unlike that little Wookie thing I just made up). Trying to anyway, and I hope that clarifies my intent somewhat more clearly.
I'm referring to dialect as it pertains to pronunciations based on language biases. Like the generic "z" sound used instead of "th" by almost every non-English European-language speaker speaking English. It becomes "zis" and "zat" and "zee ozzer zing." Effectively, it showcases the lack of use of that particular diphthong. Just as there are English idiosyncrasies when trying to pronounce foreign words and names. It drove me nuts living down south, where a county named Dubois was pronounced "doo-boyz".

Now, Wookiee just makes absolutely no sense. I never understood how the spoken grunts and growls translates into human phonics.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: