Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith: Looking for translations of "Sith" across multiple languages. Help me out.  (Read 5377 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« on: November 19, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »

I got to thinking, how does one say "Sith" in different languages? I'm sure I could look it up in various ways on the internet, but that just seemed boring. So instead, I figured I'd open it up to public submissions; since there are forum members from around the globe. For all I know it's one of those words that is the same in most languages worldwide... But, I figure it's worth a shot. Also, if there are examples of Star Wars universe languages where Sith is a different word I'll welcome those too. Got an idea for a project and this could all get integrated if there are enough, or I find a lot I like. I really only want ones that are from first hand knowledge, verified from sources (legends, games, canon lore), movies/shows, etc. Not just random stuff people made up with no basis. No submissions that are wholly fan fiction. That said, I look forward to seeing what knowledge people have to share. May the Force serve you well.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:40:36 AM »

I got to thinking, how does one say "Sith" in different languages? I'm sure I could look it up in various ways on the internet, but that just seemed boring. So instead, I figured I'd open it up to public submissions; since there are forum members from around the globe. For all I know it's one of those words that is the same in most languages worldwide... But, I figure it's worth a shot. Also, if there are examples of Star Wars universe languages where Sith is a different word I'll welcome those too. Got an idea for a project and this could all get integrated if there are enough, or I find a lot I like. I really only want ones that are from first hand knowledge, verified from sources (legends, games, canon lore), movies/shows, etc. Not just random stuff people made up with no basis. No submissions that are wholly fan fiction. That said, I look forward to seeing what knowledge people have to share. May the Force serve you well.
I recall that it's pronounced "sit" in the French version of the movies. Though most people now pronounce it "sith".

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »

Ok, I'll admit that is a bit interesting. Although a little vexing to someone with English as a frame of reference. Sit Master, Sit Lord, Dark Lord of the Sit. Thoroughly enjoying this already, much appreciated.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »

Ok, I'll admit that is a bit interesting. Although a little vexing to someone with English as a frame of reference. Sit Master, Sit Lord, Dark Lord of the Sit. Thoroughly enjoying this already, much appreciated.
You have to go all the way though :
Maître Sit(h)
Seigneur Sit(h)
Sombre Seigneur or Seigneur Sombre des Sit(h)

xD

And yeah, th is quite hard to pronounce for some French people without English knowledge

About the Sith in French :
https://youtu.be/pw_QqzA8b88?t=131

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »

Ha, you even took it to the next level by translating my jokes over. Well played. I know next to nothing in French so kudos. I can't wait to see what else is out there. Maybe someone will impart some newfound wisdom soon. Glad someone replied so quickly in the first place.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »

Ha, you even took it to the next level by translating my jokes over. Well played. I know next to nothing in French so kudos. I can't wait to see what else is out there. Maybe someone will impart some newfound wisdom soon. Glad someone replied so quickly in the first place.
No big effort on my part, it's my language xD

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »

As Sith is a name, and a made up one at that, I imagine that other than pronunciation concerns, it would be "Sith" in pretty much all languages.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »

As Sith is a name, and a made up one at that, I imagine that other than pronunciation concerns, it would be "Sith" in pretty much all languages.
I do believe that if even us French didn't try and translate it or change it altogether, I don't see any other country that would. Well. Except maybe in Canada's Quebec?

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »

True, and a valid assertion. But, I can't think of how to phrase this properly. I can't remember the term, syntax errors? There are languages where the "English" spelling wouldn't necessarily compute in their word structure. Root languages which are closer could be similar or the same. But maybe German is different enough to require a different word. Japanese is often hit or miss with this, sometimes integrating a direct translation of romaji; so I'd be more interested in kanji or kata-kana variations. If they watched Star Wars in Arabic I don't think it's simply Sith. Granted this is a shot in the dark, but nothing ventured nothing gained right?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »

Like others have said, it should be the same (or at least very similar) in all other languages, as it is a noun. In Spanish it is possible (even probable) that it is pronounced see-th (not like seethe, the 'th' would be very short), but it would be very close. "El señor oscuro del sith" would be "The Dark Lord of the Sith". All that being said, I am not a native spanish speaker, and am still learning the language, so I don't know for sure. Still fun to think about.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »

True, and a valid assertion. But, I can't think of how to phrase this properly. I can't remember the term, syntax errors? There are languages where the "English" spelling wouldn't necessarily compute in their word structure. Root languages which are closer could be similar or the same. But maybe German is different enough to require a different word. Japanese is often hit or miss with this, sometimes integrating a direct translation of romaji; so I'd be more interested in kanji or kata-kana variations. If they watched Star Wars in Arabic I don't think it's simply Sith. Granted this is a shot in the dark, but nothing ventured nothing gained right?

Hence the bit about pronunciation concerns.  Also, have you tried cueing up the DVD/Blu Ray and playing with language/subtitle options?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 01:00:48 AM »

Sadly I no longer own any of them.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 01:08:16 AM »

Like others have said, it should be the same (or at least very similar) in all other languages, as it is a noun. In Spanish it is possible (even probable) that it is pronounced see-th (not like seethe, the 'th' would be very short), but it would be very close. "El señor oscuro del sith" would be "The Dark Lord of the Sith". All that being said, I am not a native spanish speaker, and am still learning the language, so I don't know for sure. Still fun to think about.
Same here, not sure my self. Instructors or family never quite mentioned that one. And never watched any in Spanish, or on Telemundo or something. All I could go is guess in that regard, or look it up which just isn't as amusing. Your candor is appreciated. (and that reminds me of my favorite Mandalorian of all time Canderous Ordo. Good times, damn I wish he'd been some playable DLC character in SW BF 2 or something even if not canon)

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 01:09:45 AM »

Sadly I no longer own any of them.

Bummer, though me either or I would take a look for you.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 06:33:24 AM »

Bummer, though me either or I would take a look for you.
Funny how that works. Thanks Disney Vault, Disney Plus Subscriptions, and who knows what else.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: