Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Does anybody know who Meccano is?  (Read 1043 times)
Darth Crimson
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

Imma BADA@@ SITH LIKE MY FATHER BEFORE ME

« on: July 29, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »

I'm making a Meccano saber prop. For those who don't know what Meccano is, look it up. It's gonna be a Fallen style. I will send pics after I'm done making the windowed door, and other features.
Sincere Most, DC

"Your lack of faith concerns me, and that is often frowned upon by others"
-Darth Crimson

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »

You've started this off on an odd foot. Especially by asking about an unusual name and expecting folks to research it.

There does not appear to be a character called Meccano.

There was a toy vendor called Meccano that released a line of Star Wars figures, but they were of SW actual characters. Meccano was the toy manufacturer, not a person.

This company appears to have product with French language on it (if I'm guessing correctly).

Based on one picture, at least, it could be confusing the placement of the company name as the character name.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 05:40:19 PM »

Hi there,

As Janx has pointed out there is no character named Meccano - but there is a toy construction set that was created by Frank Hornby in 1908 (in Liverpool, England). The toy is basically "small scale mechanical engineering" where you assemble models using metal and plastic parts (beams, girders, pulleys and wheels etc) and screw/bolt them together with miniature tools. The toy itself is called Meccano but the name has become a sort of Trade Brand in it's own right (like NERF is owned by Hasbro). Meccano was also manufactured by a French sub company "Meccano France SA" who are probably responsible for releasing this set of Star Wars action figures to the French speaking market in 1979 and repackaged figures made by the Airfix Model Company that owned the British Meccano part of the business.

This figure is "The Death Star Commander" figure (Le Cdt = "The Commandant/Commander"...Le E'toile Noire = "of the Black Star/Death Star")
I think my French translation is correct, if not my friend TheVintageToyAdvertiser who is a French citizen and expert on classic toys will de-friend me!
You can check his blog and Star Wars posts here: https://thevintagetoyadvertiser.org/star-wars-adverts/

You might find some interesting stuff including a Japanese Darth Vader figure made of metal!

P.S. Just out of interest Meccano is now owned by "Spin Master Ltd. Canada" having acquired the company in 2013.

Darth Crimson
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »

Yes, it is a company who basically makes small models of everyday vehicles. I decided to do something different, make a saber. and this isn't no ordinary build. This build will have a opening door reveals the kyber crystal, maybe lights, and other little features I decide to add. Wish me luck.
Sincere Most, DC

-Darth Crimson

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 05:58:31 PM »

Hello Darth Crimson,

This build sounds....impressive, most impressive. I have seen Lego model lightsabers online but I haven't seen any Meccano ones yet. I look forward to see how you get on. I design and build sabers myself (including the Jedi Fallen Order/The Fallen hilt) but alas they are just 3D models!

Good luck!

Darth Crimson
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 06:58:49 PM »

Thxs

-Darth Crimson

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: