Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrapixel String/Neopixel blades and Obsidian board compatibility (Resistor?)  (Read 767 times)
Rayman4449
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: October 30, 2021, 11:45:32 PM »

I'm looking at getting UltraPixel String blade with new Obsidian USB v4 sound board in a Dark Omen (Thundercat) hilt.  Long term I was wanting to get a custom Neopixel blade made to resemble an actual blade to finish the look.  However I see a note that only UltraPixel String blades may work with Obsidian v4 board.  I assume this has to do with the location of where resistor is installed (either inline in the board/wiring/hilt in the data line to the blade or it being located in the blade itself).  Can anyone confirm this assumption is correct (ie the reason for the note on compatibility) and confirm where the resistor is located on the Ultrasaber Ultrapixel setup?  Time is running out on making purchase before the sale is over tomorrow and was hoping to have an understanding to allow me to make an informed decision on purchase.  (Otherwise I may just wait)  I want to go the route (either neopixel or just traditional LED) that allows me to go with a custom blade down the road and really prefer the Neopixel blade option.   Thank you in advance Smiley

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:51:56 AM »

In order to answer your question, one must own an ultrapixel saber and a neopixel sandard blade. Such is not my case. But I'm interested in the answer as well.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 04:48:27 PM »

I'm looking at getting UltraPixel String blade with new Obsidian USB v4 sound board in a Dark Omen (Thundercat) hilt.  Long term I was wanting to get a custom Neopixel blade made to resemble an actual blade to finish the look.  However I see a note that only UltraPixel String blades may work with Obsidian v4 board.  I assume this has to do with the location of where resistor is installed (either inline in the board/wiring/hilt in the data line to the blade or it being located in the blade itself).  Can anyone confirm this assumption is correct (ie the reason for the note on compatibility) and confirm where the resistor is located on the Ultrasaber Ultrapixel setup?  Time is running out on making purchase before the sale is over tomorrow and was hoping to have an understanding to allow me to make an informed decision on purchase.  (Otherwise I may just wait)  I want to go the route (either neopixel or just traditional LED) that allows me to go with a custom blade down the road and really prefer the Neopixel blade option.   Thank you in advance Smiley
A resistor is required for LED modules to match with the required voltage for that component and can change based on color.  i am not well versed in LED module/resistor pairings but it can be calculated and guides exist online.  Others in this forum are well experienced in that area.
The string blade will have a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) in the bottom of the blade which touches the contacts on the hilt side PCB.  Those contacts provide positive, negative, and data line signals (maybe more??).
The individual LEDs in the strip in the blade will be controlled by the board via those connections.  It could be that a different LED strip will indeed work with that board which means that a different blade build would work.  All else being equal, it comes down to board-to-strip communication.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: