Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Few questions from a new buyer  (Read 1889 times)
derpmeister66
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« on: February 02, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

I have always wanted an FX lightsaber since I was younger but figured they wouldn't be a worthwhile investment simply because they break easy.  I've browsed these boards and others for quite sometime and have finally gotten to a position where I'd like to make my first purchase.  From what I've read it seems this is the best site to get a saber for dueling and show purposes that will last and won't break.

I've always liked the white saber color so I think I want to get a Adegan Silver but I've read there are 2 style blades.  Does anyone have any comparison images of the Adegan silver or any other colors using the UltraEdge and the regular?  Which blade looks nicer with color discs if I decide to use them? 

I'd like to know what blade size is recommended for a starter dueling saber?  Debating between a 24 and a 32 but leaning more towards the 32 because I've seen 24s and they seem a bit short, little longer than the length of those $20 hasbro sabers.

I've been looking at the initiate hilts but it seems a tad small so I'm debating between the Dominix V2 and the Standard Issue as those seem to be around the size of hilt I'd like to have and they look decent.  What I'd like to know is which one do you recommend for a first time buyer and if you own either/both which do you prefer?

I have quite a few of those $5 sabers around that my friends and I use and I think its about time to step up to something better.  What I'd like to know is if its "safe" to use an Ultra saber against one of those?  We aren't what you would call gentle duelers but we aren't too crazy with it, just enough to where we've had a couple of those $5 ones break.  I'm just wondering if one of these sabers will be a bit overkill.  Although that might be a good thing as it might get a few of my friends to come here and buy nicer dueling sabers.

Thanks for any help and the more answers/input I get then the quicker I can get my hands on one of these. 

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »

OK!  So let me first say I have adegan silver and have used color discs and LEE Filters with my LED with great success.  I currently use a Ultraedge Mid Grade blade with a yellow LEE Filter.  The reason I like the UEMG is that is evenly disperses the color/light though the blade.  It might seem a tad dimmer than some of my regular Mid Grade blades but it keeps the color consistent.

Unless you are of below average height I would definitely recommend that 32" blade.  My girlfriend is 5' and uses a 32" blade with ease.  It works for people of all heights.

The difference between a Dominix v2 and the Standard issues is a personal preference.  Important to note that the v2 line is not sound capable.

Your $5 sabers will be destroyed buy an Ultrasaber.  These things are metal and polycarbonate.  They can stand up to a solid oak wodden sword.  If you are a rough dueler you need to invest in safety equipment or learn to go gentler.

Cheers.

derpmeister66
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

OK!  So let me first say I have adegan silver and have used color discs and LEE Filters with my LED with great success.  I currently use a Ultraedge Mid Grade blade with a yellow LEE Filter.  The reason I like the UEMG is that is evenly disperses the color/light though the blade.  It might seem a tad dimmer than some of my regular Mid Grade blades but it keeps the color consistent.

Unless you are of below average height I would definitely recommend that 32" blade.  My girlfriend is 5' and uses a 32" blade with ease.  It works for people of all heights.

The difference between a Dominix v2 and the Standard issues is a personal preference.  Important to note that the v2 line is not sound capable.

Your $5 sabers will be destroyed buy an Ultrasaber.  These things are metal and polycarbonate.  They can stand up to a solid oak wodden sword.  If you are a rough dueler you need to invest in safety equipment or learn to go gentler.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info.  As for the rough dueler part, I'm personally not as I'm more on the defense usually but I get where you're coming from.  I know about neither hilt not supporting sound but as I said for this saber its more for dueling anyways and I'd rather not get a dueling saber with sound, personal preference.  The brightness of the blade isn't really a major concern of mine unless the majority of the light is blocked out.  I just can't seem to decide on if I should go with the regular MG or the UE as I've been reading up on the 2 and both seem to have pros and cons in terms of lighting.  I plan to place my order sometime today or tomorrow when I can gather a bit more info and be sure I'm making the right choices for my own preference. 

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

Dominix V2 and SI are bolth great sabers! A Dominix V2 LE and Dark Standard Issue savers look great with the AS led! Go with the 32" blades , I'm 5'7 and they are just right for me. As for blade type if you want more of a core look ( super bright in the core of the blade ) go with Midgrade. If you want the color even along the whole blade to the edges get Ultra Edge. I prefer the core look due to thats what the sabers in the movies look like. Either way you will be happy with your purchase . And even if your defending  you will destroy the cheaper saber . Ultra Sabers eat Force FX Sabers for lunch!

dark side points please

Darth Unobtanium
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -33

You can run, but you'll just die tired.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

I'd say go for it. My friends and used to use those 10$ plastic ones to duel with, and I'd say my Dark SI feels even sturdier. As far is first sabers go, I'd probably recommend the Dominix, as it has more grip sections and it's easier to hold. The SI feels very nice in the hand, but at times it feels slippery.

Also, I'd go for a shorter blade. I only own a 36" blade, and I can tell you that it's unwieldy at times.

Arsenal:
Apostle - BR Dark SI V3
Chaplain - SY Phantom LE V2

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »

All good advice here so I'll just reinforce it.

32" blade is a good in between size, as Artorius said.  To give you an idea, I'm 6'2" and I enjoy using it, so I figure just about anyone would find it a good length.

derpmeister66
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »

Dominix V2 and SI are bolth great sabers! A Dominix V2 LE and Dark Standard Issue savers look great with the AS led! Go with the 32" blades , I'm 5'7 and they are just right for me. As for blade type if you want more of a core look ( super bright in the core of the blade ) go with Midgrade. If you want the color even along the whole blade to the edges get Ultra Edge. I prefer the core look due to thats what the sabers in the movies look like. Either way you will be happy with your purchase . And even if your defending  you will destroy the cheaper saber . Ultra Sabers eat Force FX Sabers for lunch!

Well from what I've read it seems like the MG would be a better option if I decided to use color discs, but I can always buy a UE later if need be.  And as you said even on defense it might be a bit of overkill so perhaps this will get my friends to get better sabers.

I'd say go for it. My friends and used to use those 10$ plastic ones to duel with, and I'd say my Dark SI feels even sturdier. As far is first sabers go, I'd probably recommend the Dominix, as it has more grip sections and it's easier to hold. The SI feels very nice in the hand, but at times it feels slippery.

Also, I'd go for a shorter blade. I only own a 36" blade, and I can tell you that it's unwieldy at times.

I was looking into the Dominix for that very reason but the SI seems more open to customization.  I could always add on grips to it as a solid aluminum hilt does seem like it could get a bit slick.  Plus I always liked the slanted emitter.

I see that both of those come with the 36" would it be possible in checkout to ask for a 32 instead?

Ravenseye8
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:04:39 PM »

My 2 cents on the UE vs Mid debate, with the disclaimer that obviously this is my opinion and different people like different things.  You're not going to go wrong with either one, the following is just my preference. 

I say go standard mid all the way.  UE gives the blade a fuller (thicker) but softer light, while standard mid makes the light have a strong, vibrant core.  My first two orders I went UE thinking it was better, and on my third I decided to give standard mid-grade a try for the hell of it.  I've never gone back, and I ordered extra mid-grades for my previous sabers.

Aeon v2 RGB
Archon v2 AB w/AS FoC*
Bane RGB*
Bellicose RGB*
Consular CG w/FO FoC*
Graflex SE GB w/AS FoC*
Guardian GB*
Overlord BR w/AS FoC*
Malice BR w/FO FoC*
Raven BR
Shock LE AB w/ AS FoC*
SI v2 GB
SI v2 blue anodized w/BR (grab bag)
SI v3 AS*
War Glaive Emitter (Dark)
*Obsidian

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »

My 2 cents on the UE vs Mid debate, with the disclaimer that obviously this is my opinion and different people like different things.  You're not going to go wrong with either one, the following is just my preference. 

I say go standard mid all the way.  UE gives the blade a fuller (thicker) but softer light, while standard mid makes the light have a strong, vibrant core.  My first two orders I went UE thinking it was better, and on my third I decided to give standard mid-grade a try for the hell of it.  I've never gone back, and I ordered extra mid-grades for my previous sabers.

This is exactly my opinion as well.  Of course it is just an opinion, and it will vary from person to person.

I recommend eventually collecting a number of different blades so you can compare and see what you like.  For now, all you can do is choose, and act.

derpmeister66
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »

This is exactly my opinion as well.  Of course it is just an opinion, and it will vary from person to person.

I recommend eventually collecting a number of different blades so you can compare and see what you like.  For now, all you can do is choose, and act.

Alright so I guess I'll go with the MG for this saber and I think I'm going to go with the Standard Issue for the customization aspect.  Already ordered myself one of those LEE filter packs so I can have some nice custom colors and thinner color discs.

Thanks for all the input guys I'll let you know how it all goes in the end.

Ravenseye8
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

Alright so I guess I'll go with the MG for this saber and I think I'm going to go with the Standard Issue for the customization aspect.  Already ordered myself one of those LEE filter packs so I can have some nice custom colors and thinner color discs.

Thanks for all the input guys I'll let you know how it all goes in the end.

Nice choice.  I ordered a SI v3 in silver a few days go after reading the Legacy comics and wanting an Imperial Knight style saber (still hope Ultra makes a real one soon).  I've got my Lee filters coming as well.  Good luck, I think you made the right choices for what you were looking for.

Aeon v2 RGB
Archon v2 AB w/AS FoC*
Bane RGB*
Bellicose RGB*
Consular CG w/FO FoC*
Graflex SE GB w/AS FoC*
Guardian GB*
Overlord BR w/AS FoC*
Malice BR w/FO FoC*
Raven BR
Shock LE AB w/ AS FoC*
SI v2 GB
SI v2 blue anodized w/BR (grab bag)
SI v3 AS*
War Glaive Emitter (Dark)
*Obsidian

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »

There ARE colors that looks great in ultra edge. My wife's Cyan... uh, what's it called. Destiny. It looks f'ing fantastic in ultra edge. That said, it is the ONLY color I've come across that looks better in that blade than a standard. I like my silver in a heavy duty, non-ultra edge. Never quite sure what to call it. In my opinion a white LED in an ultra edge looks like a fluorescent bulb, not a light saber.

To me, that does NOT = cool.

Also, if you plan to play with a LEE book (Burnt Yellow = world's best yellow) I think you'll have better results in a regular edge since the Ultra soaks up light and you're already asking the LED to power through a filter.

Be aware however, and this is not often mentioned when discussing blade types, that one (in my opinion basically the only, save the color above) benefit to the ultra edge blades is that they hide battle damage very well. Your standard edge blades will show each and every nick, scrape and scratch they get. When you fire your blade you'll see them all. With an ultra edge that doesn't happen. Even if you don't spar with people it'll be hard to resist hitting things with your new toy. I went to a nerd bar outside of Seattle (AFK Tavern, go there if you're in the area, it's a cool place and, unlike 95% of nerdstablishments does not actually wreak of horrible body odor) got drunk and when my friend balked at its supposed durability, got my heavy grade saber from the trunk and beat the shell out of bank owned foreclosure real estate sign. I now have quite an array of blade scars from that little blunder.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

derpmeister66
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »

There ARE colors that looks great in ultra edge. My wife's Cyan... uh, what's it called. Destiny. It looks f'ing fantastic in ultra edge. That said, it is the ONLY color I've come across that looks better in that blade than a standard. I like my silver in a heavy duty, non-ultra edge. Never quite sure what to call it. In my opinion a white LED in an ultra edge looks like a fluorescent bulb, not a light saber.

To me, that does NOT = cool.

Also, if you plan to play with a LEE book (Burnt Yellow = world's best yellow) I think you'll have better results in a regular edge since the Ultra soaks up light and you're already asking the LED to power through a filter.

Be aware however, and this is not often mentioned when discussing blade types, that one (in my opinion basically the only, save the color above) benefit to the ultra edge blades is that they hide battle damage very well. Your standard edge blades will show each and every nick, scrape and scratch they get. When you fire your blade you'll see them all. With an ultra edge that doesn't happen. Even if you don't spar with people it'll be hard to resist hitting things with your new toy. I went to a nerd bar outside of Seattle (AFK Tavern, go there if you're in the area, it's a cool place and, unlike 95% of nerdstablishments does not actually wreak of horrible body odor) got drunk and when my friend balked at its supposed durability, got my heavy grade saber from the trunk and beat the shell out of bank owned foreclosure real estate sign. I now have quite an array of blade scars from that little blunder.

I went with Silver because of the Imperial Knight sabers and because I always wanted a high end saber with a white/silver core.  Also placed my order on whats been said in this thread.  I got the mid grade regular blade and a standard issue hilt.  Can't wait for it to arrive pretty pumped. 

Ricktur
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 30

the world is hollow and ive touched the sky

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »

I went with Silver because of the Imperial Knight sabers and because I always wanted a high end saber with a white/silver core.  Also placed my order on whats been said in this thread.  I got the mid grade regular blade and a standard issue hilt.  Can't wait for it to arrive pretty pumped. 

when George Lucas switched over to digital lightsaber blades instead of rotoscoping, ALL lightsabers have a white core now.  and just so you know, US has already produced a limited run of Imperial Knight sabers.  they were fantastic.  everyone on these forums wants them back.  lets hope.

[‾๐‾‾]▦[⊚]▦ị█ị‾╱██████████████████████████████████████████████)
CE Prophecy - Guardian Blue Ultraedge Midgrade

Lightside Points Appreciated!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: