Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: saber kata  (Read 10440 times)
Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -50

« on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:40 AM »

I read the great discourse on the 7 lightsaber forms by Uilos718 and have been thinking on my old karate katas and how I might apply a lightsaber to the moves. So I doodled out the steps at work today and added a bit of text to explain each step. This was the 1st kata I learned, so it's very basic and I hope the steps are clear and understandable. I have 2 more sketched out and will post them later.
Comments and critiques more than welcome!

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:55:05 AM »

This is pretty cool. Now if only someone could come up with kata for Soresu.... Wink

no

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »

I'll do that one next, stay tuned...

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:31:23 AM »

Again, these are based on katas from my old karate class, pulling from memory of near a decade ago, adapting for use with a lightsaber, and so may not 100% fit in with what your ideas of each form should be. Regardless, if you choose to practice these, you'll get a decent little workout, lol.  Roll Eyes
Soresu

Makashi

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:03:32 AM »

Honored you read it, and terrific transcription of a kata! You should proud!

This is pretty cool. Now if only someone could come up with kata for Soresu.... Wink

NY Jedi has one for Soresu

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:58:04 AM »

I've been watching tons of youtubes on the NYJedi, partly why I've been geeking out so much and felt inspried to draw these up at work, lol. I really wish there was that kind of fan base in my area, but I guess thats the trade off for living in the country.

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »

Ok, so I'm in the process of re-drawing the little stick figure guys in the above katas and I had an idea and wanted to toss it out to the group to see what you guys think. I was thinking that by saving each image individually, you could make your own forms by pieceing together the stances in whatever order you'd like. I'd be starting with just single blade stuff for now, but if there's an interest, I could go on to 2 sabers & saber-staffs. Thoughts?

Stephen Strange
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -40

The Netherlands, The Hague

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »

If these are cross referenced with other kata´s... and then blend in... In such a way that all 7 kata´s  have all basic techniques incorporated... with the help of some of the masters here that should be possible.

We could finally manage to make the Saber style complete...

it involves a lot of checking with saber clubs etc. Can we do that...

¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬(o)█|{███████████████████████████████████████)

Dark War Glaive (BR, Dark Catalyst Pommel)
Guardian (GB, Dark War Glaive Pommel)
Bellicose (CG, Bronze)

Stephen Strange
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -40

The Netherlands, The Hague

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

I have been checking video´s of people trying to shape these forms.. untrained and a bit unsecurely done. Most very unprofessional. There should be a way to make this a professional art.

I just wonder what Nero and Art think of it... is it worth it to shape this up. Does anyone has the insights on how the schools out there interp these...

¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬(o)█|{███████████████████████████████████████)

Dark War Glaive (BR, Dark Catalyst Pommel)
Guardian (GB, Dark War Glaive Pommel)
Bellicose (CG, Bronze)

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »

I've effectively abandonded my interpretations (except when I'm practicing alone) in favor of the more universally accepted forms by General Sun of the NYJedi, of which I'm in the process of illustrating the steps to have as a handy guide. Here's a sketch of the movements in each section.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »

I've effectively abandonded my interpretations (except when I'm practicing alone) in favor of the more universally accepted forms by General Sun of the NYJedi, of which I'm in the process of illustrating the steps to have as a handy guide. Here's a sketch of the movements in each section.

^ Yes

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

JaceLansing
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

"Your expectations aren't my responsibilities"

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 04:31:31 AM »

Coming from a long background in martial arts, I love the idea of having katas for each of the 7 (Or 6) forms. I have been searching for days and having been able to find anything that the saber community really agrees on. NY Jedi looks like they have something going.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »

Great illustrations!  Grin Grin

All this is good stuff. We use a much different method in the J.o.E. LSC and typically stay away from Kata's. That being said, I still share every ounce of knowledge with them as possible. As someone who did forms training for 18+ years, I can say it has its advantages and disadvantages, as does anything in life. That being said, learn the kata/drill to break the kata/drill. There is no pattern, simply self expression and muscle memory. Those who first start in a new system have the hardest time realizing this. I know this isn't really the discussion going on in this thread, I just felt the urge to share my thoughts.

A lot of people always ask me where I think they should start. I follow the Jeet Kune Do Philosophy. All Martial Arts have a time and place, and the most important factor is the individual, the art/system is simply part of the equation....an important part, but can still be changed or modified.  For example, BJJ is not very good in 4 feet of water. Superior Footwork cannot be utilized if you find yourself in the backseat of a car. Anyway...Learn as much as you can, always be a student, always seek more knowledge. Keep what you like, discard what you do not (Sijo Bruce Lee). Continue to Train the things you don't like in the beginning though, as we age, you might find a technique you previously hated, but have now found a way to utilize it. Our bodies change roughly every 5 years and we have to adapt to the aging process. 20 years ago I was " Sihing Happy Feet " ( I moved with the Rocker shuffle a lot. ) Now I blend Kali/Wing Chun/Silat into its own, vicious animal. Mostly because I cannot move like I use to. Injuries and age, they get us all.

Sorry to derail the conversation a little. Kata's are a great way to start, especially if you can only train by yourself.

TPLA has a curriculum that incorporates Kata/Dulons , Drills, Flourishes, Sparring, etc etc and is a good place to start IMO.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

JaceLansing
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

"Your expectations aren't my responsibilities"

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »

I agree with most things you have just stated. Smiley The school I'm part of has ranks as you go through the 7 forms. They want me to spend 1 year on each of the 7 forms. However, they have no katas or set movements that I am expected to practice. It feels more like I am showing up, sparring a lot, and then going home (After hanging out with chill people of course).

I've always thought of Katas and Sparring as Knowledge and Wisdom. Katas show that you understand the movements, Sparring shows that you are wise enough to know when and how to use them or adapt them.

A true Jedi should have both knowledge and wisdom. With about 20 years of martial arts background under my many black belts I don't know how I'm going to handle spending 1 year on each form, unless I can see the structure and the reason for why it is taking me so long. I hope that someday I get my answers and can look back on these questions as just an arrogant younger me.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »

Just a guess based by your response. Could be wrong.  Grin

TKD or Traditional Japanese based background? Shaolin Meihuaquan focuses on Forms as well. (no partner drills, only Forms and Sparring. ) I say traditional because the drill format is not normally trained.  Some schools, Kenjutsu and Kendo namely, have introduced the drill format in my neck of the woods.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: