Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Making a Custom PVC Saber?  (Read 6082 times)
Zurth
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 35

« on: February 17, 2012, 02:28:55 AM »

I've always been curious as how to build a custom lightsaber. There are no actual good videos on the making them and the few that are about making ones are just simple "Take a PVC pipe, cut it. Spray Paint it. Lightsaber ta-da..." So I was hoping those whom create their own custom hilts as to how they do it?

Lightsabers:
Dark Initiate V2: BR
Dark Initiate V2 LE: CG, VA
Dark Liberator V2: AS
Red SI Battle Saber: V2 FO

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:46:00 AM »

Most of my designs are utilitarian.  I go for simple.  I have seen some really good designs in the galleries section that are far beyond my artistic skills. 

If you are going simple, then I can help you if that is what you want.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Zurth
Knight Captain

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:56:08 AM »

For now I think I'll stick with simple designs and plans until I feel more comfortable in making a saber. I know I need a 1" pvc pipe so a US blade will fit in, but I have a few questions I'm not 100% on. What's the minimum length needed for electronics to fit? The first saber Im thinking of making will possibly be for my baby brother whom loves to play with my US saber now, and his hands aren't very big or wont be for quite a long time.

Lightsabers:

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:45:50 AM »

Ok,

Unless you are using an inline battery pack, 1" PVC is going to be too small. 

1. I would start with a 1-1/4" piece of PVC.  This will accomodate both the AA and AAA packs sold by Ultrasabers.
2. I would always look at what the masters do.  Ultra builds his metal sabers for younger kids and one handed dueling to be about 9" in length.  Since this is for your younger brother, I would start with a 7" piece of 1-1/4" PVC. 
3. For your emitter, buy a 1-1/4" PVC coupler.  For the pommel, use a 1-1/4" PVC end cap.  Your PVC parts need to be the eletrical grade (gray) rather than the water grade (white) simply because the parts fit better and you are less likely to need to do sanding.
4. Go ahead and put your coupler on the PVC.  Determine where you want your switch hole.  I am for 2" below the bottom of the coupler.  Drill a 7/16" hole.  Now measure from the top of the hole to the half way point of your coupler.  Subtract 1/4". 
5. Now you will want to cut the 1" PVC using the measurement you just performed above.  This will be your internal blade holder.
6. The following part can be found at the same hardware store where you purchased your PVC.  It is called a Brass Threaded Wood Insert.  Just past the half way point on your coupler nearest the switch hole, you will need to drill a pilot hole and place your threaded insert through the coupler and the internal blade holder.  This is where you blade retention screw will go.
7. Drill a pilot hole in the end cap that will become your pommel.  Use a self threading screw to keep the pommel in place.  Your PVC hilt is ready for painting.
8. Buy the following parts from Ultra.  LED that goes in the older sabers that has a 1" OD.  A guarded latching switch.  A battery holder.  If you are going rechargeable, get the 2AA pack and the TrustFire Batteries with recharger.  Before placing your order, send Ultrasabers an email asking them to please include a resistor on your LED after you have determined your set up.  To save on shipping charges, go ahead and order your mid-grade blade as well.
9. Solder two wires to your latching switch.  Make sure you leave enough length on the wires so that they stick through both your pommel and emitter.  Insert wires and then switch into the hole.  You will need to press against some wood to get the switch to go all the way in but this will prevent you from having to use a nut to keep the switch in place.  Master Artorius taught me this and it works great. 
10.  Solder your resistored wire to the end sticking out of the emitter and the red wire from your battery pack to the wire sticking out of the pommel.
11. BE SURE TO USE HEAT SHRINK ON THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO PROTECT YOUR ELETRONICS.
12.  Insert a piece of wire that will serve as your ground.  Solder one end to the non resistor side of the LED and the other end to the ground wire coming off the battery pack. 
13.  Insert batteries and test. 
14.  Place your battery pack into the hilt and attach your pommel.
15.  Carefully insert your LED into the internal holder until it rests on the switch.  The trick is getting the resistor passed the switch.  If this worries you, place the resistor between the battery pack and the switch.
16.  Insert your mid-grade blade and attach the screw.

I hope this helps.

Zurth
Knight Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »

So for a shopping list..

Hardware Store:
1-1/4" PVC pipe (grey)
1-1/4" PVC coupler (grey)
1-1/4" PVC cap (grey)
Brass Threaded Wood Insert

Question: What size retention screw will I need, and at what length?

UltraSabers:
2AA Battery Holder
14500 600mAH 3.7V Protected Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries (2 Batteries) + Universal Battery Charger Combo - Dual slot
Mid-Grade Blade

Question: Do you mean the LED module on US' website?
http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/led%20module.htm
Edit: Can I get Forum Colours in the LED?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:26:06 AM by Zurth » Logged

Lightsabers:

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 06:33:56 AM »

The size of the screw depends on the size of the Brass Threaded Wood Insert.  The ones that I found were 8-32.  I use 1/2" Phillips Head Brass Screws but you can find what works best for you. 

Onto the LED.  That is the exact LED I am talking about.  Now for forum colors, that is something you need to ask Ultra or Deep about.  I have not ordered a forum color LED so I cannot comment.  My wife bought me the basics for Christmas:  RED, GREEN, and BLUE. 

Don't forget to pick up some 1" for your internal blade holder as well.  I did not see that on your shopping list.  It will cut down on blade wobble.  Make sure the 1" fits inside the 1-1/4" before you leave the store. 

Other than that, you should be set.  Also, you need to take pictures when you are done and post them for everyone to look at.  We really like pictures here.

Zurth
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:27 AM »

1" PVC pipe or a 1" screw? And I guess I'll shoot Ultra/Deep that question when I get there,

I lol'd at the last paragraph.

Lightsabers:

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »

1" PVC pipe for the internal blade holder. 

I wouldn't get a screw over 1/2" long.

And we do like pictures here.  Videos are nice too.

Zurth
Knight Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:28:04 AM »

So how long should this 1" pipe be.. 1/4" long?

Lightsabers:

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »

3-4 inches should be plenty as long as it is not sticking out past the coupler.

Zurth
Knight Captain

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »

You wouldnt happen to know how to carve PVC would you?

Lightsabers:

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 04:03:44 AM »

I think the examples I've seen were done with dremel tools, and probably a decent amount of work with hand files and sandpaper.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: