Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: cheap face protection?  (Read 10856 times)
juggalojedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« on: March 04, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »

I've been able to keep things calm and safe so fa but last night all my rowdy freinds came over and things got interesting. Nobody got hurt ... yet ... but I can see it happening easily and soon any body got ideas on cheap full face gaurds that are easy to wear and put on /take off?  Don't care realy what they look like. Just need to keep eyes and teeth where they were at start of evening.

Thanks y'all

Oh yeah I know its not the smartest thing but did I mention drunk, guys, lightsabers Grin Grin these things happen its the will of the force ... lol

lightside plz

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »

Yeah - I really wouldn't mix alcohol and what are for all intents and purposes weapons.  Legal/insurance stuff would be nightmarish if something WERE to happen.

I'd try looking for a fencing mask or a kendo mask, possibly with mouth guards as well.  If you're ending up going full force with alcohol-fueled strength... 

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

juggalojedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »

Not going full force im not quite that crazy ... just a lil wobbly on the aim and controll

lightside plz

juggalojedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »

Was thinking something like a paintball mask or similar

lightside plz

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -50

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »

There's some cool looking airsoft masks too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=airsoft+masks

Temple
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 90

Jedi Battle Knight

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »

those will not stop a blow... their like flimsy paintbll gogs and i would be leary to use those also.  there are some full face army of one style ones on ebay that might work since their like hockey plastic

A jedi Must sometimes prepare for war, and prepared we are ~ Temple

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »

Thanks, Temple - I was leery about recommending something that wasn't specifically designed for blunt force impact, and while an Airsoft mask might protect your eyes and face from Airsoft pellet impacts, you'd really need something that could basically take the force a baseball bat could dish out...  you need something that's going to protect the whole head from something like that.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Temple
Knight Lt. Commander

Jedi Battle Knight

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »

look at your local martial arts store or sports store for used gear. Or better yet craigslist. I have padded headgear with a facesheild from martial arts that would work lol but im not looking forward to using it as it wojld look like a large black marshmellow on my noggin, I figure i would modify something personally for myself

juggalojedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »

Thanks for all ur advice guys I was trying to cheap out but y'all are right gotta pony up the dough and get the good gear.

lightside plz

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:08 PM »

Thanks for all ur advice guys I was trying to cheap out but y'all are right gotta pony up the dough and get the good gear.

Hmmm that and issue a bit of control for the things that cost nothing...foresight.

1. No drinking and dueling

Smiley

As for the masks...I would look into used/surplus lacrosse masks...they are made to absorb full contact hits to the melon and will protect your headlights and grill

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/dydx7.4mnbx/v/vspfiles/photos/LHL-CAS-CPXRC-2.jpg?1328698063

Light side points please Smiley

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »

I guess it comes down to how much your head is worth.  If you've got a cheap head, get cheap headgear.

Otherwise, a Kendo Men (face protector) is good if you don't do thrusting.  A sabre point will slip right between the bars, if you do.

If you do thrusting, check out three-weapon fencing masks... you can pick one up for less than a hundred clams.

In either case, you might also want to find a pattern for a padded coif, if you want to do something about absorbing impact.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »

I guess it comes down to how much your head is worth.  If you've got a cheap head, get cheap headgear.

Otherwise, a Kendo Men (face protector) is good if you don't do thrusting.  A sabre point will slip right between the bars, if you do.

If you do thrusting, check out three-weapon fencing masks... you can pick one up for less than a hundred clams.

In either case, you might also want to find a pattern for a padded coif, if you want to do something about absorbing impact.

All good points as usual Jenny!

For a fencing mask, you can go with an epee mask... save yourself some money (foil and sabre masks both have wiring in them now, which will be useless to you).  The non-FIE models (which would work fine) are around $50 I believe.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »

Good to know Master Attoru, I have only done fencing outside the formal community so I always borrowed gear and we never used the electronic scoring system.

Now, mind you I haven't actually started development, but I am working on Jedi and Sith style protective gear specifically designed for the duelist by the duelist.

juggalojedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »

Willing to pay materials and guinea pig for ya!!!

lightside plz

Temple
Knight Lt. Commander

Jedi Battle Knight

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »

I would assume you only need head and hand maybe wrst gear.
Hey Master Nero, how is the visibility in the fencing masks?
i remember from the past using them that visibiliy is flightly obscured

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: