Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: How do you make the "light" hilts look weathered?  (Read 4838 times)
Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« on: July 26, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »

After looking around this forum for some inspiration for my upcoming, first lightsaber EVER!!!! I found this category and I was amazed by the look of the "weathered" effect on the hilts but so far I have only seen it applied to "Dark" hilts. How does one go about making a "light" hilt look weathered? Many may ask why I ask this now but I am so sold on that "weathered" look that it may influence my purchase to a great extent if it cannot be applied to "Light" hilts.

"Only heroes die. Villains and cowards are left to suffer."

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »

I'd suggest dry brushing but using a a black or dark grey paint instead

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Darth Rifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -200

Darth Rifter and Jedi Keldor...Darn it I forgot.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:29:16 AM »

Yeah, I agree. You might wanna test first. Also spray your saber with a clear coat after painting, or it will all rub off.

Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -43

Darkside points please

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:52 AM »

I've seen where people sand the hilt with a mixture of rough and fine sand paper, then you spray paint it, and wipe away the excess. All that remains is the paint in the scratches. Then use a matte finish clear coat to lock in the color so it won't rub out. I recently did this to my SI.

BR SI, GB Dark Initiate v3, CG Dark Initiate v3, GB Archon v2 Obsidian, AS Custom Aeon v2, AB Dark Initiate v3, VA Dark Initiate v3, VA Initiate v2

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:48:19 AM »

This all sound harder than I thought and what the "dry brushing tutorial" explained. Ohwell, I like a challenge. Smiley

Thanks for the answers guys! (Points for everyone!)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:53:18 AM by Martyr » Logged

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »

It's actually really simple.

You take some sandpaper (about 60 to 100), and rough up the hilt.  This will leave scratches and scuffs in the aluminum.  Basically, scratch it up any way you want.

Then, take some black paint, and apply it to the saber.  Doesn't have to be spray paint.  In fact, I'd advise against spray.

Wipe it off lightly with a paper towel.  There should still be paint in the scratches.  Let the saber dry.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the hilt is weathered to desired roughness.

Seal the hilt with a clear coat.

Enjoy.

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »

I keep hearing "clear coat". Im sorry, I don't know what that is. Unless you mean I take one of my coats and put it over the saber but that would leave it paint stains all over it. Tongue

Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Darkside points please

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

I keep hearing "clear coat". Im sorry, I don't know what that is. Unless you mean I take one of my coats and put it over the saber but that would leave it paint stains all over it. Tongue
Clear coat is an actual separate spray can you buy that is transparent to te eyes but provides a protective layer to lock in the other paint beneath it. It is HIGHLY recommended if you want the paint to last more than a few weeks. Hope that helps! Smiley

BR SI, GB Dark Initiate v3, CG Dark Initiate v3, GB Archon v2 Obsidian, AS Custom Aeon v2, AB Dark Initiate v3, VA Dark Initiate v3, VA Initiate v2

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »

Aah, now it makes sense, thanks for explaining. Smiley

It sounds easier said than done, money is a big issue here it seems; time to start working and saving up money!

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 02:45:46 PM »

a can of black krylon is 5$ a can of krylon clear coat is 5$

not that expensive at all

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

Thats pretty cheap, nice! Is black really the way to make "Metal Light gray" aliminium look weathered? : /

Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Darkside points please

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

Thats pretty cheap, nice! Is black really the way to make "Metal Light gray" aliminium look weathered? : /

You don't really need to use black paint, you could use almost any paint color depending on the effect you're going for. I want to try one in an army green to give it a natural feel like it was used in conflicts on a planet like Felucia or another heavily foliated planet. You could also go with a gunmetal grey for a less intense weathering.

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »

You don't really need to use black paint, you could use almost any paint color depending on the effect you're going for. I want to try one in an army green to give it a natural feel like it was used in conflicts on a planet like Felucia or another heavily foliated planet. You could also go with a gunmetal grey for a less intense weathering.

That sounds pretty sweet!

Well,  I was thinking battle weathered as a start! What color would you recommend with that? Smiley

Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Darkside points please

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »

That sounds pretty sweet!

Well,  I was thinking battle weathered as a start! What color would you recommend with that? Smiley
I would say go with a black or grey for that charred or roughly used look, focus more on the areas where contact would be more prevalent like where your hands rest or where it spins in your hand.

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »

I think black would make it look like its plastic underneath! Grey seems like the best option currently but we'll see once I'll get it. c:

Thanks for all the responses once again! It really helped ^^

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: