Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1489325 times)
ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #3930 on: February 09, 2016, 07:00:47 AM »

A single UBS port that is used for access to all the lightsaber's functions as well as being the recharge port would reduce the number of access points needed.

Or manage the two boards wirelessly.  Though in theory someone else could change your blade color on you with that.  Though that might be silly in an RP location were you have to adjust your character based on blade color.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Rogu3Wo1f
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #3931 on: February 09, 2016, 07:22:49 AM »

If we could upgrade to Micro USB Ports that would be better than using Mini USB cables, which are a little tricky to find if you don't order one with the saber.

Why is the fear of being afraid acceptable by the Jedi Order?

firewisplet
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

"You were my brother Anakin! I lava'd you!"

« Reply #3932 on: February 09, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »

If we could upgrade to Micro USB Ports that would be better than using Mini USB cables, which are a little tricky to find if you don't order one with the saber.
I had to take a trip to the Dollar General, and I almost left empty handed, but I found a really shoddy 3-end-type charge/sync cable. It's quite the uncooperative cable if I've ever seen one.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3933 on: February 09, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »

They still sell them for ps3 controllers (or at least they still do in the uk).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3934 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »

Well having a non-removable Lion power supply means that you'd have a recharge port and making it non-removable wouldn't really matter.
I'm saying that in bigger hilts the emerald driver and obsidian sound board don't have to tackily glued to the Lithium Ion batteries. If you took advantage of some the empty space further up in the hilt you can make space for bigger batteries or more batteries that can last longer and can also be swapped out more easily as well. Either similarly to some brands of large flashlights, or simply more space for more batteries in the saber itself, optionally of course. As for the usb ports you could opt for, say, a panel further up on the hilt that can provide you with easy access to the ports, sticking out of the side, or open up the entire inside of the upper hilt with the wires and the boards. Obviously, it might be a bit of a hassle on Ultrasaber's part, but it's nothing farfetched or clear out of the picture. Personally, to me, it makes more sense. It would make making changing, fixing, rewiring, swapping out parts like the LED, or even full customization far easier. If someone though the aethstetic of the panel would make their hilt look tacky in their opinion, maybe they could opt for a mechanism where they can unscrew some pins or hexscrews or something, and the entire top half of the hilt over the AV switch slid upwards or even seperated completely. Obviously, making that possible would be a lot more tedious as it would require separating the hilt into two parts and making a sliding mechanism inside the hilt, but that's sort of the point of my idea. You are paying extra for ease of access and/or greater battery life, right? It doesn't matter if it costs significantly more, it's like a recharge port. Completely optional.

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but let us know when you when you've developed all these widgets.

As far as the batteries are concerned, there is a great advantage to using removable cells; if they fail to perform, you can easily swap them out. If you had a hardwired power source, and something went wrong, you'd have to send it in or completely tear the saber apart (for you DIY fans) in order to fix it. Li-ion cells fail? Change the batteries.

Throughout my dealings with US, I've noticed that they have a tendency to lean away from absurdly complex setups. This allows for ease of production, ease of assembly, and ease of repair. I'll use the Flamberge to illustrate. If you ever get the chance to look down the barrel of one, you'll notice that it's not the most sophisticated setup. But it is highly effective.

Take it from an engineer...KISS.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

This is what engineers are taught in their first weeks of college. Gadgets are cool, don't get me wrong, but more features = more problems. And these are combat sabers. Simple often equates to durable, and that's what matters most.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #3935 on: February 09, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »

Talking to hazard, and something that occurred to both of us - we'd love to get a light Flamberge v2; A silver Omen body with the Flamberge crossguard on top. Best of both worlds Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3936 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but let us know when you when you've developed all these widgets.

As far as the batteries are concerned, there is a great advantage to using removable cells; if they fail to perform, you can easily swap them out. If you had a hardwired power source, and something went wrong, you'd have to send it in or completely tear the saber apart (for you DIY fans) in order to fix it. Li-ion cells fail? Change the batteries.

Throughout my dealings with US, I've noticed that they have a tendency to lean away from absurdly complex setups. This allows for ease of production, ease of assembly, and ease of repair. I'll use the Flamberge to illustrate. If you ever get the chance to look down the barrel of one, you'll notice that it's not the most sophisticated setup. But it is highly effective.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

This is what engineers are taught in their first weeks of college. Gadgets are cool, don't get me wrong, but more features = more problems. And these are combat sabers. Simple often equates to durable, and that's what matters most.

KISS is taught in many industries as it is a most effective and efficient method.

In mass produced lightsaber terms, they need to keep things as simple as possible for members of the public. Elaborate hilts, simple electronics/circuitry.
On a personal level, Ultrasabers have hilts that are black, silver, black & silver, silver & gold (i know there are some coloured hilts too like the crimson/azure menace). However, i would LOVE to see some black and gold hilts. I think that would look aesthetically amazing. (And i know these things. Cos i'm aawesome! Cheesy).

Maybe this is something they could launch as v5 for some existing hilts, like the dominix. Just a thought

firewisplet
Knight Templar

« Reply #3937 on: February 09, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

You've obviously not understood, I've suggested nothing but the placement of the electronics and the replacement of the batteries. I suggested larger batteries, nowhere did I mention making them non-removable. That would be dumb. Actually, I believe some other sabersmiths do it. As for the hilts, theres a couple of MHS hilts that already fit the description, so I don't see many problems arising there.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:27:05 PM by firewisplet » Logged

LordTargaryus
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -17

Dark Side Points

« Reply #3938 on: February 09, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

I'm actually really pleased with how my bellicose is constructed. I didn't have any trouble getting anything out but I'm afraid I'm putting something back in wrong because it rattles a little now. But honestly if there was something that would greatly improve people's experience with maintaining their own lightsabers it would be instructions. They don't have to be super long or anything...just pictures. Like the instructions transformers come with. Anyone with a properly functioning brain can figure out how to do it...but there isn't any peace of mind in trying to guess how to do something without breaking something that cost more than 20 hours at a minimum wage job pays.

Own:
Bellicose+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Want:
Malice+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Dark Shock LE+Emerald+Obsidian V4

Wil Pathen
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -44

Dark Side Points

« Reply #3939 on: February 09, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »

I'm actually really pleased with how my bellicose is constructed. I didn't have any trouble getting anything out but I'm afraid I'm putting something back in wrong because it rattles a little now. But honestly if there was something that would greatly improve people's experience with maintaining their own lightsabers it would be instructions. They don't have to be super long or anything...just pictures. Like the instructions transformers come with. Anyone with a properly functioning brain can figure out how to do it...but there isn't any peace of mind in trying to guess how to do something without breaking something that cost more than 20 hours at a minimum wage job pays.

My bellicose rattled a bit too after taking the blade out. I figured out that I had to line the blade up just below the blade holder to press against the LED. Once I got that lined up right, the rattling stopped.

Owned:
Bellicose - Emerald - Obsidian V4
Manticore CE Obsidian V4 - SRD
Phantom v4 Staff w/Li-ions - Tri BR
Dark Apprentice V2 w/NBv3 sound - CG
Graflex SE - AB
Dark Apprentice V4 Staff - BR
Standard Issue V3 Staff - Tri AS
Initiate V2 - AS

Grab Bag - Dark Liberator V3 - VA
Grab Bag - Dark Apprentice V3 - CG
Grab Bag - Liberator V3 - CG

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #3940 on: February 09, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »

Talking to hazard, and something that occurred to both of us - we'd love to get a light Flamberge v2; A silver Omen body with the Flamberge crossguard on top. Best of both worlds Smiley

I'd go for that, although I don't know if I'd go whole hog on that like I did my current V2.  Might just pick a color and skip Emerald.  Or not.  Hell, I probably would get all excited and go all in again, knowing me.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3941 on: February 09, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »

You've obviously not understood, I've suggested nothing but the placement of the electronics and the replacement of the batteries. I suggested larger batteries, nowhere did I mention making them non-removable. That would be dumb. Actually, I believe some other sabersmiths do it. As for the hilts, theres a couple of MHS hilts that already fit the description, so I don't see many problems arising there.

Apologies. I've seen many newbs come into this forum wondering why US doesn't do things the way the "other guys" do. From what I've been able to discern, the electronics are laid out thusly for ease of access. Light and sound boards are most easily accessed through the pommel same as the batteries.

I think I know where you're going with this though. I've suggested before, having through ports in the body, similar in function to the recharge port. A through port would allow for USB access without having to open up the saber.

My bellicose rattled a bit too after taking the blade out. I figured out that I had to line the blade up just below the blade holder to press against the LED. Once I got that lined up right, the rattling stopped.

The Belli is somewhat temperamental when it comes to fitting the blade snuggly. The rattle is the MLS unit not being firmly held in place. This shouldn't cause a problem beyond the noise. But I too dislike the rattle. I suggest taking the time to mark your blade, so when you attach it again you'll know where to align it to snuggly hold the MLS in place.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

firewisplet
Knight Templar

« Reply #3942 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »

Apologies. I've seen many newbs come into this forum wondering why US doesn't do things the way the "other guys" do. From what I've been able to discern, the electronics are laid out thusly for ease of access. Light and sound boards are most easily accessed through the pommel same as the batteries.

I think I know where you're going with this though. I've suggested before, having through ports in the body, similar in function to the recharge port. A through port would allow for USB access without having to open up the saber.

The Belli is somewhat temperamental when it comes to fitting the blade snuggly. The rattle is the MLS unit not being firmly held in place. This shouldn't cause a problem beyond the noise. But I too dislike the rattle. I suggest taking the time to mark your blade, so when you attach it again you'll know where to align it to snuggly hold the MLS in place.
Yes, I'd figured that someone had suggested the ports before, so I focused more on explain the battery, and I think that's why it may have came off a little vauge. The ports aren't the only plus though, having the obsidian board further up the hilt also means that swings and clashes can be registered easier, as the board would be near to where your holding it. Clashes at the end of the blade would be recognized better, as I've noticed it doesn't pick up well longer blades.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3943 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »

Yes, I'd figured that someone had suggested the ports before, so I focused more on explain the battery, and I think that's why it may have came off a little vauge. The ports aren't the only plus though, having the obsidian board further up the hilt also means that swings and clashes can be registered easier, as the board would be near to where your holding it. Clashes at the end of the blade would be recognized better, as I've noticed it doesn't pick up well longer blades.

It has been my experience that the sound activation "is all in your wrist." Just about everyone of my SwS "swing" just while walking. But I take heavy steps. Either way the board is sensitive enough to pick up the motion. Personally I think they are ideally located, because the shock from a hit has the longest distance to dissipate if it's at the pommel. Also, in most grips, your hand would be closer to the blade than the sound board, allowing your arm to absorb a good brunt of the vibration.

Perhaps it is something you can one day experiment with, in the building of your own saber. If you can find a method that offers superior results to US, they may start to incorporate it. Lord Canterbury was responsible for the black AV switches becoming an option. (Although, he may just have had the bright idea just as US was about to release them for order, but I'm failry certain his proposal was what kick started it.) And now we have black AVs. I'm currently saving up for a customized build, which, if successful, might just launch a new customization option for US.  Grin Y'all will love it.

Sig by For Tyeth

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

I prefer Light Side points. Not that I'll get any

« Reply #3944 on: February 09, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »

I'm currently saving up for a customized build, which, if successful, might just launch a new customization option for US.  Grin Y'all will love it.
That's dedication. Props + Points.

-If I'm not me, who's anybody?
Saber: Aeon V4 w/ Obsidian V3 - Guardian Blue

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: