Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Author Topic: How to make a black lightsaber blade disscusion  (Read 152146 times)
seaofkyber
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »

Well since the darksaber gives of a white light at the edges while seemingly being like a nothingness at the center(or however Filoni described it) , maybe that vantablack stuff could get the closest effect since it apparently leaves the thing coated in it looking like it's a hole in reality. Too bad it's not available for the public.

You can call me Sea.
Apprentice LE V4

LS points please Smiley

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »

This probably won't work, but just throwing the idea out there. Why not take a regular polycarbonate blade and put a black polycarbonate tube inside of it that is the right thickness to leave a little space in between the inner diameter of the regular blade and the outer diameter of the black insert. Wouldn't the light go around it/ be blocked in the center just like when you stick your hand in front of a projector or light and make a shadow puppet?

Saber Armory - In order of purchase
Dark Prophecy V3 (BR) Obsidian V4
Dark Prophecy V3 (AV) Obsidian V4
Dark Initiate V2 (GB) Stunt
Dark Initiate LE V4 (FO) Stunt
(Other Guys) Sinister Prophecy (MG) Champion Crimson
Electrum Wind (BH) Obsidian V4

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »

The LEDs make light from the center traveling in a slim cone form toward the walls of the blade, so a black tube blocks too much of the light. I already did it. I etched lightning patterns in, so at least the light goes to the end, and with a tri cree the light is as full as I could get. It still only went so far into the outer blade noticeably. It kinda makes the outer halo, but not full length.

Linked it earlier.
Another attempt to link the same black core video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhpfzuwOwE

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »

Just on a lark I tried coloring my blade with a black magic marker, and it actually looked kinda cool. I'm thinking paints might not be the way to go, but has anyone tried dyes/stains on the outside of the blade? I think that might actually produce some results. Maybe adding black dye to the sort of clear resin coating some people use to create unstable blade looks?

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Darth Vigorous
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

I am Darth Vigorous. My power knows no boundaries.

« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »

Here's a tutorial I made on a cheap way to achieve this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9N40vzwlso&amp;t=71s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9N40vzwlso&amp;t=71s</a>

I am the nightmare beyond your wildest dreams. I am the monstrosity of mankind itself. I will Never be overcome by any being, anything, any thought. I am the godling of a new greater power of the Sith to be.
I am Darth Vigorous. Lord, grand and supreme, master of the Sith.

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »

only flaw I see is mentioning "the other guys"

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Darth Vigorous
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

I am Darth Vigorous. My power knows no boundaries.

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »

only flaw I see is mentioning "the other guys"

Sorry about that. I was refering to lightsabers in general needed for the project. I choose Ultrasabers for durability over artistic quality.

I am the nightmare beyond your wildest dreams. I am the monstrosity of mankind itself. I will Never be overcome by any being, anything, any thought. I am the godling of a new greater power of the Sith to be.
I am Darth Vigorous. Lord, grand and supreme, master of the Sith.

Iram
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -292

Grey, leaning to the Dark Side

« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2017, 01:38:39 AM »

*looks suspicious*
Hmmmm.....

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Overlord (BR) Old Reliable w/ Obsidian v4 
Crimson Scorpion (VA)  w/ Obsidian v3  [Second Prize, 2016 Spring Raffle (1st)]
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (CG) Viridi Ignis 
Graflex SE (Emerald) w/Obsidian v4 [Won -50% off coupon April 2017]
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Gravediggervincent
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViHsk-qKY6I&feature=youtu.be

I kinda did a black saber blade. Paint and lots of scratching.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »

I know how I am going to do it, first step save up $110 bucks, second step google the word that is synonymous with the gem created by an oyster along with the word synonymous with a tool that is used to break or tear something.  Voila!

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Shakeyp
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:47 PM »

Thinking about this for a while since he first posted.
Is there a black transparent film that reacts to uv lights that would glow giving that effect?
In high school when I was in drama we had films to go over projector lights to go with the scene we had on stage.
Since the LED is bright enough to illuminate uv active objects this could be something to try?

I have no idea where to get the film though

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me

bigBear
Knight Commander

« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »

Thinking about this for a while since he first posted.
Is there a black transparent film that reacts to uv lights that would glow giving that effect?
In high school when I was in drama we had films to go over projector lights to go with the scene we had on stage.
Since the LED is bright enough to illuminate uv active objects this could be something to try?

I have no idea where to get the film though

not a bad idea to try. might want to try a local drama teacher. they could have a list of resources.
speaking of...I need to check one of my sources for "more stuff"  Grin

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2018, 02:44:04 AM »

I really liked the look of the cross-polarized blade, but the problems there seem to be materials (finding variable length film with the polarization axis parallel to the length (as I can find it parallel to the width)).

Though I had a thought, and perhaps someone out there might know something. Is there a process by which polycarbonate can be directly treated so as to create a linear polarizer? Treating the outside of the blade with this process (with the axis of polarization parallel to the length of the blade) while having the polarizing film inside (with it's axis parallel to the width) would make for a fairly combat capable (depending on the durability of the polarizing coating, of course) black-core saber.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

bigBear
Knight Commander

« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2018, 05:07:36 AM »

I really liked the look of the cross-polarized blade, but the problems there seem to be materials (finding variable length film with the polarization axis parallel to the length (as I can find it parallel to the width)).

Though I had a thought, and perhaps someone out there might know something. Is there a process by which polycarbonate can be directly treated so as to create a linear polarizer? Treating the outside of the blade with this process (with the axis of polarization parallel to the length of the blade) while having the polarizing film inside (with it's axis parallel to the width) would make for a fairly combat capable (depending on the durability of the polarizing coating, of course) black-core saber.

film on the inside would be best going with TCSS blade w/o the film option. would make easier for modification.

who's scruffy looking?

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »

While this is a broader topic, and requires a looser leash, tx_tuff is correct. 

Posts have been removed.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: