Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: D.I.Y. "D-Ring" Belt Clip  (Read 8965 times)
CrazyJoeMalloy
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »

Hey folks,

I bought a set of sabers for my groomsmen a few months back and talked my fiancé into letting us wear them during the ceremony (great success).  But I've been struggling with how to mount them.  Mine has a covertec wheel so it's less of an issue, but the other 3 do not.  The sabers are gifts so I didn't want to add anything to them that might scratch or damage the finish before they get their hands on them (after that they're on their own).

D-Rings seemed the best option but I wanted a more subtle way to mount them without any drilling or plumbing equipment (though the Duff Man solution was definitely my fall-back plan!)

After mulling this over for some time I came to the conclusion that some heavy gauge crafting wire and leather/suede wrapping would do the trick.  The suede would shield the finish from damage and the wire could wrap around the shaft of the pommel.  My fiance had a bunch of 18 gauge floral stem wire around that it seems more than hefty enough to do the job.  With the wire compressed between the bottom of the hilt and the top of the pommel around the shaft, it should stay secure (at least for my purposes).  This also allows it to be easily adjusted or removed should they want to go a different route.

I made a prototype and, satisfied with the result, I decided (in a rare moment of clarity) to document how I made the rest.  The pictures/slideshow are available via the web album link below.

Lightsaber Clip Tutorial - Picasa Web Album

DISCLAIMER:  I have no idea how well this will work in any form of long term usage or how it will hold up under rough handling, but it should be perfectly adequate for my purposes.  Use and improve upon (if so desired) at own risk. Smiley

Notes:  

• In the album I go through whipping the wrap so I don't have to use glue or any form of adhesive to keep the wrapping in place.  If you'd like a better example of whipping, Wikipedia has a decent illustration on how it's done and the particular technique I used.
  • The pommel types of the Dark Liberators and Initiate v3 seem to work well for this since they're flush with the body of the hilt - my Prophecy pommel doesn't seem all that suitable since the pommel will recess into the body of the hilt slightly (though I could be wrong on this)

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »

Another option is to use a MagLight Flashlight holder.  My War Glaive does not have a covertech and I was using a carabiner through the claw but the colors clashed too often and I was worried about scratching.  The holder is sold at Lowes and holds both my Overlord and my War Glaive quite nicely. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

CrazyJoeMalloy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »

Hmmm - interesting - is it the Nite Ize stretching nylon holster? (http://www.lowes.com/pd_97124-76951-LHS-03_0__?productId=3048037)

or is it more like this? (http://www.amazon.ca/Maglite-ASXD056-Holder-Plain-Leather/dp/B001EDODN2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347389908&sr=8-1-fkmr1)

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »

Your first link is the exact same one that I own.  Sorry that I could not find it to post it but you got it.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

CrazyJoeMalloy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »

Shiny!  That's good to know, I had no idea that kind of holster was around.

No biggie on the link, I'd have to find an alternate way to get it anyway as I don't have access to a Lowe's in my part of Canada.

Actually, a similar problem applies when it comes to getting a Covertec clip shipped to Canada.  I can order them - but the shipping cost is 2-3 times the cost of the clip itself regardless of vendor, so far at least.  Which is mildly ridiculous.  This may be my fallback solution to that if I can't find a reasonable vendor.

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »

LOL! I like the sound of the "Duff Man Solution", it is like the poor mans Bourne Identity with a lot more randomness.   Grin  I like the look of yours, it is a lot less obstructive of your grip. Let us know how well they hold up.  Also the method I used was for a V2 Si(not MHS compatable) I think most(if not all) of the V3 are MHS compatible. If you or your Groomsmen want a more permanent D-ring  I would check out a MPS clip and Mps insert style 12(no drilling involved) from TCSS (the Custom Saber Shop)

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

CrazyJoeMalloy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »

Heh - funny you should mention the Bourne Identity, I'm in the middle of reading it right now actually.  Now I'm trying to figure out how the poor mans version of the story would play out...for some reason I'm envisioning it involving RedGreen running around with amnesia...no idea of who he is but still able to instinctively fix everything with duct tape.  Shenanigans ensues!

It seems like it stays out of the way pretty well, they're not going to get much use for a while yet, but I'll let you know how they work out - assuming the clips survive the wedding!

I'll definitely be referring them to the TCSS afterwards - it'll be nice to be able to talk to them about this stuff with them rather than keeping it secret Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: