Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306866 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2012, 12:23:31 AM »

That is really sad. Really, really sad.

This world is seriously kriffed up indeed.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2012, 01:39:13 AM »

A DS? When I was 3, the only video games I had were those cheap $5 handheld arcade game thingies.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2012, 02:26:37 AM »

A DS? When I was 3, the only video games I had were those cheap $5 handheld arcade game thingies.

Ooh, anyone remember the handheld arcade games from McDonald's and places like that? Those games weren't too fun, but were so interesting. Ah, my childhood....

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2012, 02:34:23 AM »

When I was three, I was barely even allowed to WATCH people play video games. The closest I got to video games was the occasional game of Forumla One at the local arcade at that age. And then I mostly just stood there and played with the wheel and pedal cause I spent my quarters on the plastic egg machine and a box of Jr Mints. lol

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »

I get home this morning after 13 hours.  I open my mailbox and I find a letter that is not a bill.  The outside is handwritten so I am thinking this might be interesting.  It was a letter from a local business that spent three pages telling me why I am not worthy to get a loan from their store. 

1.  I did not ask this business for a loan.
2.  The reasons they gave for not even being interested in giving me a loan were hilarious.
3.  At the end, they say that if I am interested in other products they offer, give a call or pass their business card to others that might be interested in a loan.

I know the business and I know the person that wrote the letter.  After being told what a low life POS I am, they have the nerve to ask me to be a word of mouth reference?  Is there a new movement on the horizon of people attempting to bankrupt their businesses that I was not informed existed? 

What a waste of a stamp, paper, and a golden opportunity to gain a potential customer. 

Vent done & heading to bed shortly.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

4stringjedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2012, 01:31:33 PM »

Heck, awhile back I was in Game Stop and saw a mom picking up her THIRD Nintendo DS Lite that year.... because her 3 year old son broke another one. Consarn it, when I was a kid NOBODY under 8 had games except for Candy Land! This world is seriously kriffed up.
Oh god, don't get me started on kids with expensive gadgets... My 8 year old cousin owns a 3DS with at least 10+games, pretty much every skylander available and a mother freaking tablet. What the hell does an 8 year old need a tablet computer for? I didn't get my first gadget/games console until I was 9, it was a GameBoy Colour with one game (Pokemon Red) and it kept me amused for hours on end. Kids these days have the latest toy for a couple of weeks, get bored of it and break/loose/leave it. How are these kids supposed to learn the value of money and possessions (and later in life, budgeting) if they're being bought such ridiculously extravagant possessions as the norm..?
I feel so old venting about "kids these days"... I'm only bloody 20!  Tongue

Lightside if you like point giving Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »

Back in my day, I did have a Game Boy Color and I did eventually get a Gamecube, but my main source of entertainment was always in LARPing with my friends. Back in those days, you didn't have these fancy schmancy, new-fangled gadgets and video games with 1080p resolution and all that hoopla.

4stringjedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »

Amen. Most of my childhood was spent in the woods having stick fights and building dens

Lightside if you like point giving Smiley

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »

Right here! 21 and my first two game systems were the N64 Episode One Special Edition and the Gameboy Color in Teal, that I eventually got two games for, and the N64 had.... more than that, but not too many. Less than 10. Heck, I don't think I've ever owned more than 10 games for any system except my computer! We either played sports or pretend, that was IT! We didn't HAVE computers! We had to use our parents comps until we were in Jr High for the most part, and then it was a luxury to have your own 1st generation iPod. Now people are getting rid of tech because it's 1 year out of date. My first comp was several years out of date when my sister got it, years before I got it!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

rezeb360
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

So I went to a friends house a few weeks back to visit. She has a beautiful 4 year old boy. Wile we were their he didn't so much as say hi to us, due to the video game he was playing. Later we all went to dinner and that's when things got weird. He started crying and begging his mom for her phone to play a game. We hadn't been there more then five minuets when it started. After a few he got quiet, but the second any of our phones came out, it was back to the begging and crying to play a game. I swear it was like he was going through withdrawals. Kids thees days almost need a rehabilitation clinic for video game withdrawals.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2012, 06:09:09 PM »

So I went to a friends house a few weeks back to visit. She has a beautiful 4 year old boy. Wile we were their he didn't so much as say hi to us, due to the video game he was playing. Later we all went to dinner and that's when things got weird. He started crying and begging his mom for her phone to play a game. We hadn't been there more then five minuets when it started. After a few he got quiet, but the second any of our phones came out, it was back to the begging and crying to play a game. I swear it was like he was going through withdrawals. Kids thees days almost need a rehabilitation clinic for video game withdrawals.

This is a boundary problem.  I see this happening with adults as well.  Recently, I was in the bathroom (clearly marked men's) and I hear a click and then in walks a female security officer.  Well of course my back was to her but standing at a urinal, most can imagine what is being exposed.  She walked into the next stall, dropped her pants exposing herself to me and begins to do her business. 

Not a huge problem for me but that is what one can expect if boundaries are not enforced beginning at around age 1.5.

ChaosMidge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 32

I am small annoying fly! Hear me roar!

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »

Dude. So I'm a karate instructor, right? And kids are supposed to respect you, right? Yeah. No. So yesterday, kids started complaining. I wasn't actually on the floor teaching, but I was watching. The instructor leading the class told them to do thirty push-ups and I watch one of the girls doing pushups out of the corner of my eye, counting. Every time an instructor looked at her, she'd start doing pushups and when they looked away, she'd stop again. When everyone else started to stand up, she stood up. I counted. She did fifteen. I confronted her about it, and she said that I was lying or counting wrong. I think no. And this isn't the first time she's given me trouble either. But since we're not a fully traditional studio, we have to cater to the kids and keep the parents happy, so I can't do anything concrete about it without reprisal. T___T
I hate it when people cut corners. The rest of us do the amount of pushups we are told to do. Just do the kriffing things and get it done with. So what if it takes you longer than other people? Do them and get better at it. We wouldn't be telling you to do these things if we didn't have a reason. Sometimes I wish I could kick people out of class. I CAN. But the reason has to be amazingly good.

Give light side or dark side points depending on the reason you're giving them. I'd like to see which side I end up on...
I like making up nicknames for people. Wink
Aeon V3 LE w/ Sound: SRD
Libby, no sound: GB
Reaper w/ Sound, FoC: PO w/ FO

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »

Dude. So I'm a karate instructor, right? And kids are supposed to respect you, right? Yeah. No. So yesterday, kids started complaining. I wasn't actually on the floor teaching, but I was watching. The instructor leading the class told them to do thirty push-ups and I watch one of the girls doing pushups out of the corner of my eye, counting. Every time an instructor looked at her, she'd start doing pushups and when they looked away, she'd stop again. When everyone else started to stand up, she stood up. I counted. She did fifteen. I confronted her about it, and she said that I was lying or counting wrong. I think no. And this isn't the first time she's given me trouble either. But since we're not a fully traditional studio, we have to cater to the kids and keep the parents happy, so I can't do anything concrete about it without reprisal. T___T
I hate it when people cut corners. The rest of us do the amount of pushups we are told to do. Just do the kriffing things and get it done with. So what if it takes you longer than other people? Do them and get better at it. We wouldn't be telling you to do these things if we didn't have a reason. Sometimes I wish I could kick people out of class. I CAN. But the reason has to be amazingly good.

It's probably because of your age. Karate instructor or not, you are still too young for a lot of kids to take you seriously, since you practically are still a kid yourself. Just tell the other instructor about it and have him/her deal with the kid.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »

We had one similar to this.  He kept telling his parents he was being picked on.  We signed the parents for free.  After a week of seeing his tamtrums, they took him out of class due to embarassment. 

Also, I have people not doing pushups all the time.  The chief instructor allows older students (those 25+) to choose who we want to spar.  I always choose those that don't do the push ups correctly.  I don't hit, I just block really hard.  After about three blocks, they complain that I am hitting too hard and the chief instructor says, ok I'll watch.  After blocking only, he tells the other student that he hasn't seen me hit only block and to please continue.  The kid or adult usually bows out rather than look like a further idiot. 

You are correct that push ups are important to develop that upper body strength.  There are always ways to get the message across.  You just have to be more creative.

ChaosMidge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 32

I am small annoying fly! Hear me roar!

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »

I agree with Kashi that it's probably because of myage, but most of the kids think I'm in my twenties anyway. I look older than I am. Idk. The thing is, I don't want to have to run to my coworkers every time I have a problem with one of The problem kids. I feel like it's something I should be able to deal with myself.

Give light side or dark side points depending on the reason you're giving them. I'd like to see which side I end up on...
I like making up nicknames for people. Wink
Aeon V3 LE w/ Sound: SRD
Libby, no sound: GB
Reaper w/ Sound, FoC: PO w/ FO

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: