Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1313774 times)
Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #435 on: July 03, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »

Here's a great question to think about. If that cop would have known there was another camera filming him, do you think he would have shot the dog the way he did?

I don't think it occurred to him at the moment. He felt threatened and responded to that threat.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #436 on: July 03, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »

I will preface this by saying that I haven't watched the video. I don't want to see a dog being killed, right or wrong.

That said, there are many different ways of stopping an attacking dog. I'm a dog lover, but I'm had people sic dogs on me, and had loose dogs attack me before. Never once have I had to resort to lethal force, or even force that would seriously hurt the dog. Without going into details, it is easy to stop a dog...especially one that isn't a trained K-9 Unit.

All THAT said, I think we're getting off the topic of healthy venting, and are getting into a very specific side conversation. So, in the interest of getting back on topic, here is my vent:

I hate being sick. I know that no one enjoys it, but I really hate how foggy my brain gets when I'm sick. I can barely keep my attention on one thing for more than...SQUIRREL! More than a couple of minutes.

I can relate to this!! It's as though your brain is in serran wrap (is that the right term over there?) and you've lost the instruction manual! lol

It sucks!!!

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #437 on: July 03, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »

I can relate to this!! It's as though your brain is in serran wrap (is that the right term over there?) and you've lost the instruction manual! lol

It sucks!!!

That was Sunday, and most of Monday for me. Must be going around!

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #438 on: July 03, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »

Now that I've had a chance to cool off.

Would you have shot the dog if you had a taser? A baton? Pepper spray?

If a gun was my only option I would have shot the dog too, however that officer had several options at his disposal, many of them non lethal.

Dogs aren't stupid, if they are outmatched they will back down. A shot from a taser or a smack to a meaty portion with the baton would have been well enough to stop the attack.

These guys have been TRAINED to deal with this stuff. A dog in the grand scheme of things is not a threat. As someone who has spent a lot of time with dogs I can tell you with certainty. That Officer's life was not in danger. Watch police attack dogs, they get loosed on the public all the time. They dont kill the person, they might injure them, but they don't kill. It would actually take a pretty good bit of effort on that dog's part to take down a grown man. If there had been two or three dogs I'd give you that, a pack of dogs is pretty formidable, but I am confident in my ability to defend myself against ONE Rottweiler, even bare handed. I might get jacked up if I had to do it that way, but all you have to do is think and demonstrate the fact that we are smarter than these animals. This jack hole shot the dog without giving any sort of opportunity for the dog to calm down. The dog and his owner were both operating in completely rational manners. The officers created an escalated situation and then started man handling the owner which really stressed the dog. All that had to happen here was just let the guy go real quick and let him take care of his pooch. Instead what I saw was a brutal execution.

This was excessive force in every respect. The arrest shouldn't have happened, the killing of the man's dog shouldn't have happened.

Here's a great question to think about. If that cop would have known there was another camera filming him, do you think he would have shot the dog the way he did?

I agree 100%. Lethal force was not needed here. My dog went after someone in the same manner once, all it took was a good slap from me to get him to back down. My dog is somewhat smaller than a Rotty, but still.

===================================================

On the subject of my dog; I love him, but he's a giant idiot sometimes. And a pest. I can't even eat a burrito without being annoyed by his incessant begging!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Kresnik
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #439 on: July 03, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

I know it's a side topic but I am a former LE K9 handler / trainer and continued dog trainer ... This was nothing but a bad lazy cop ... Lets clear up some misconceptions - if this Rotweiller wanted to hurt the cops he would have ... The dog showed no threatening behavior ... Dogs that are intending to Hurt you generally don't walk up to you turn it's back to you and walk away and come back an walk away.

He didn't lunge at the cop the cop stuck his hand out and the dog jumped up to it ...

The dog actually showed no signs of aggression whatsoever and it was just a lazy bad cop who probably didn't get so much as a write up

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #440 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »

That was Sunday, and most of Monday for me. Must be going around!

whatever it is don't give it to me! This morn I was really coughy and headache and sniffly but thankfully it just seems to have been my heyfever and asthma. So no giving me a cold or flu
 Tongue

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #441 on: July 03, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »

whatever it is don't give it to me! This morn I was really coughy and headache and sniffly but thankfully it just seems to have been my heyfever and asthma. So no giving me a cold or flu
 Tongue

Hehe! Deal!

The worst part about the weekend for me was the fact that I was supposed to be with my family at the cottage and having fun. There's nothing fun about being violently ill for the whole of Sunday morning, wiped out for the rest of the day and the next, then have it held against you like it was your fault you caught a stomach virus. Sorry I ruined a few people's weekends with my absence, but I guarantee that I had a worse weekend than they did!

My cats even tired of my whining and moaning. Nausea sucks.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #442 on: July 03, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »

I feel for you. How ick. Hope you get betters soon. Sucks to have plans upset by some stupid virus.
I remember a couple of years ago my partner organized a lovely romantic evening dinner cruise- and I was sick as a dog with the flu. Not so romantic.
and I reinforce- no passing it this way Tongue
*distant hugs*

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #443 on: July 03, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »

I feel for you. How ick. Hope you get betters soon. Sucks to have plans upset by some stupid virus.
I remember a couple of years ago my partner organized a lovely romantic evening dinner cruise- and I was sick as a dog with the flu. Not so romantic.
and I reinforce- no passing it this way Tongue
*distant hugs*

Keeping it Canada! Wink

My wife was not impressed, but what could I do?

Thanks. Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #444 on: July 03, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

If I was that cop in that same situation, I would have shot the dog too.

Bottom line is, I think the officer was right. And had I been in the same situation, I would have put more than four rounds into a dog that easily weighs over 100lbs coming at me like that.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »

I think the discussion about the dog and the officer has run its course.

Folks are not going to agree on it.  All that continuing the discussion will do is lead to bad feelings, and possibly rules violations.

Instead, I advise civility, agreeing to disagree, and letting the matter lie.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #446 on: July 04, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »

How many times do I have to say it! Knocking on a door implies that you wait for a response, BEFORE you walk into a room. It's not that hard. Geez. And when you leave, you close the door behind you. It was CLOSED, because I wanted it CLOSED.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #447 on: July 04, 2013, 03:25:13 AM »

How many times do I have to say it! Knocking on a door implies that you wait for a response, BEFORE you walk into a room. It's not that hard. Geez. And when you leave, you close the door behind you. It was CLOSED, because I wanted it CLOSED.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #448 on: July 04, 2013, 05:01:43 AM »

Friend of a friend: "Hey, are you from Korea or China or somewhere like that?"

Me: "Err... no... I'm from California."

Him: "You sure?"

Me: "Um... yeah?"

Him: "Oh well, sorry man."

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #449 on: July 04, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »

Friend of a friend: "Hey, are you from Korea or China or somewhere like that?"

Me: "Err... no... I'm from California."

Him: "You sure?"

Me: "Um... yeah?"

Him: "Oh well, sorry man."

You can't blame the guy for apologizing... You DID admit to being from California, which can inspire pity in anyone...  Smiley  Wink  Cheesy  Grin  Tongue

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: