Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1313071 times)
Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1275 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »

That would be paleontologist. But you still play around in the dirt. Grin Grin <Said with respect.> My childhood dream job was paleontology.

I mean, I've done paleontology professionally too - so I can at least answer the questions when people get excited about it.
It just makes me sad when they're like omg archaeologist! and I'm like yes! and they're like T-Rex and I'm like, oh.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #1276 on: August 14, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »

I mean, I've done paleontology professionally too - so I can at least answer the questions when people get excited about it.
It just makes me sad when they're like omg archaeologist! and I'm like yes! and they're like T-Rex and I'm like, oh.

This made me laugh.   A lot.   Cheesy

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #1277 on: August 14, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »

This made me laugh.   A lot.   Cheesy

You have no idea how often it happens.
Sometimes it's hard to stay the kind professional and not the eye-rolling, laughing, me.
 Tongue

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1278 on: August 14, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »

Drahcir.  I thought that the study of peoples and cultures were Anthropologists.  Guess that you have to find the stuff and send it their way for another point of view.  You will never live down Ross from Friends.  I predict doom and gloom if you don't have a few grand dinosaur bone tales.  Grin

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2774

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1279 on: August 14, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »

Drahcir.  I thought that the study of peoples and cultures were Anthropologists.  Guess that you have to find the stuff and send it their way for another point of view.  You will never live down Ross from Friends.  I predict doom and gloom if you don't have a few grand dinosaur bone tales.  Grin

If I may...? I believe the diference is this. Archeo is the study of past peoples and cultures. Anthrop is the study of living cultures.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #1280 on: August 14, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »

You have no idea how often it happens.
Sometimes it's hard to stay the kind professional and not the eye-rolling, laughing, me.
 Tongue

I imagine it's a bit like when I tell people I do martial arts and they automatically assume that it's "Karate" and they make Bruce Lee comments (WRONG ART, wtf!!!) and they're all, "oooh, so you can kick my ass?!?!?  YEAH, DO IT!!!"   When I tell them it's "Aikido" and that it's a defense only art, they're so crestfallen and I'm just standing there like, "wow, no." 

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #1281 on: August 14, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »

Point for you DL and thanks.  Smiley

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #1282 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »

It depends where you're working - in the States Archaeology is a Sub-field of Anthropology. The states breaks anthropology into four-fields: Cultural Anthropology, Linguistic Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, and Archaeology. I personally interact with archaeology, cultural anth, and biological the most, but self-identify as an archaeologist. Canada and Europe as a whole's view of Anthropology is similar to what American Anthropologists call Cultural anthropology - Cultural anthropology is situated in the present and some historical (which in the U.S. is loosely defined as when Europeans showed up and caused all kinds of ruckus). In short, my graduate degree says I'm an anthropologist, but anyone in the professional community would identify me as an Archaeologist.

The difference in fields between the U.S. and everywhere else has to do with when the field took hold in the States - the states wanted to distance themselves from the British Empire as much as they could. Anthropology was utilized by the British as a colonization tool and the U.S. was like nope nope nope we're doing it differently. Of course that's a very abridged and simplified view of what actually happened.

And the episode where Ross goes to that conference is the best thing - ever.

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #1283 on: August 14, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »

I imagine it's a bit like when I tell people I do martial arts and they automatically assume that it's "Karate" and they make Bruce Lee comments (WRONG ART, wtf!!!) and they're all, "oooh, so you can kick my ass?!?!?  YEAH, DO IT!!!"   When I tell them it's "Aikido" and that it's a defense only art, they're so crestfallen and I'm just standing there like, "wow, no." 

Yes, exactly that.
You're like wait stop this isn't any less exciting don't you give me that look.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #1284 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »

Hey Drahcir.  Now that's what I call a detailed reply !  Well deserved point for you.   Cool

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #1285 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »

Hey Drahcir.  Now that's what I call a detailed reply !  Well deserved point for you.   Cool

What can I say, get me talking about my field and it might be hard to get me to stop.
 Wink

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #1286 on: August 14, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »

It depends where you're working - in the States Archaeology is a Sub-field of Anthropology. The states breaks anthropology into four-fields: Cultural Anthropology, Linguistic Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, and Archaeology. I personally interact with archaeology, cultural anth, and biological the most, but self-identify as an archaeologist. Canada and Europe as a whole's view of Anthropology is similar to what American Anthropologists call Cultural anthropology - Cultural anthropology is situated in the present and some historical (which in the U.S. is loosely defined as when Europeans showed up and caused all kinds of ruckus). In short, my graduate degree says I'm an anthropologist, but anyone in the professional community would identify me as an Archaeologist.

The difference in fields between the U.S. and everywhere else has to do with when the field took hold in the States - the states wanted to distance themselves from the British Empire as much as they could. Anthropology was utilized by the British as a colonization tool and the U.S. was like nope nope nope we're doing it differently. Of course that's a very abridged and simplified view of what actually happened.

I'M NOT WORTHY!  I'M NOT WORTHY! Wink

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #1287 on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »

I'M NOT WORTHY!  I'M NOT WORTHY! Wink

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2774

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1288 on: August 15, 2015, 02:15:04 AM »

Sweet, we get a bonus history lesson as well. Point

If memory serves, isn't most of what you practice done with your bare hands?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1289 on: August 15, 2015, 02:25:45 AM »

To pique their interest again, remind them that it's what Steven Seagal practices. Even though the man himself is a hotheaded idiot, one cannot deny that he has skills.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: