Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306969 times)
Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2070 on: April 14, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »

I will say to anyone with any intention of going into a field that requires a graduate degree, be really sure that's what you want to do. IF you have any doubts you need to sit down and understand why you have them. Graduate school (at least in research based fields - Mine was both anthropology and archaeology) is a completely different monster than undergrad. Undergrad was a bit of a cake walk, graduate school required a huge degree of dedication to push through.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2071 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »

I will say to anyone with any intention of going into a field that requires a graduate degree, be really sure that's what you want to do. IF you have any doubts you need to sit down and understand why you have them. Graduate school (at least in research based fields - Mine was both anthropology and archaeology) is a completely different monster than undergrad. Undergrad was a bit of a cake walk, graduate school required a huge degree of dedication to push through.

My doubts have more to do with whether I will be able to do it, financially, and if I'll put myself in debt only to regret it when I'm still working jobs that don't pay well. I have no doubts I'll enjoy getting the degrees(I do history research FOR FUN), so that's not an issue.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #2072 on: April 14, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »

My biggest gripe with graduate school wasn't the research related to the field - that part was great.
It's the rest of the stuff that comes with it, it's as much a social game of networking and making sure you know the right people as it is a learning experience.
I probably dedicated as much time to networking and meeting people as I did to my research (kind of a taxing thing if you're at all introverted)
At that point you've more-or-less changed from a student to colleague and the expectations are quite different.

I still cringe thinking about it - I avoid working in academia now for a reason.
If I'm teaching it's only the practical field-related aspects of the discipline.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2073 on: April 14, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »

My biggest gripe with graduate school wasn't the research related to the field - that part was great.
It's the rest of the stuff that comes with it, it's as much a social game of networking and making sure you know the right people as it is a learning experience.
I probably dedicated as much time to networking and meeting people as I did to my research (kind of a taxing thing if you're at all introverted)
At that point you've more-or-less changed from a student to colleague and the expectations are quite different.

I still cringe thinking about it - I avoid working in academia now for a reason.
If I'm teaching it's only the practical field-related aspects of the discipline.

That doesn't sound like something I'd like....but if I have to...

(Sig by me!)

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2074 on: April 14, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

Probably depends on your chosen field of study as well.  I VERY much wanted to get my graduate degree in English studies, but I couldn't afford it.  I was looking forward to all of the "you must publish ALL of these articles!" nonsense, as well as possibly TA-ing and the immense amount of writing and work involved.   I just didn't have the immense amount of money to do it! 

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2075 on: April 14, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »

Of course your old refrigerator looks good in our apartment, if it didn't you'd be stuck having to buy us a new one rather than yourselves.

As much as they say they want the very best for you, in-laws always want the best for themselves.  Angry

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #2076 on: April 14, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »

It's a pretty common thing for research based fields where sharing your research is just as important as the research itself (I know it is for history as I have several colleagues who went that route).

I started in English studies! Sometimes I wish I stuck with it, but it was near impossible to find funding aid for that discipline.
I actually jumped around several fields for a while - picking one thing to do is difficult.
I still get the you must publish all the everything all the time though, publish or die. I'm actually working on a publication due out Mid-May right now.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2077 on: April 14, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »

It's a pretty common thing for research based fields where sharing your research is just as important as the research itself (I know it is for history as I have several colleagues who went that route).

I started in English studies! Sometimes I wish I stuck with it, but it was near impossible to find funding aid for that discipline.
I actually jumped around several fields for a while - picking one thing to do is difficult.
I still get the you must publish all the everything all the time though, publish or die. I'm actually working on a publication due out Mid-May right now.

So I can expect " you must publish all the everything all the time! If you don't publish your research, it didn't happen!" Looks like I'll be taking some English Lit, as I'm a terrible writer....

(Sig by me!)

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #2078 on: April 14, 2016, 05:11:37 PM »

So I can expect " you must publish all the everything all the time! If you don't publish your research, it didn't happen!" Looks like I'll be taking some English Lit, as I'm a terrible writer....

Publishing will definitely be a big part of any History degree, luckily part of the History curriculum will be learning how to write for the history-minded audience.
It's quite different than writing for English literature or even my field - it has it's own nuances, rules, and annoyances. 

Those types of classes probably won't pop up until late in a Bachelor's program.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2079 on: April 14, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »

Publishing will definitely be a big part of any History degree, luckily part of the History curriculum will be learning how to write for the history-minded audience.
It's quite different than writing for English literature or even my field - it has it's own nuances, rules, and annoyances. 

Those types of classes probably won't pop up until late in a Bachelor's program.

I meant, my grammar needs work. lol.

I expected that though. I wouldn't necessarily want it as a main career, but being a published author(of history, non-fiction) is actually on my list of goals, so that'll work out.

(Sig by me!)

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #2080 on: April 14, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »

I totally understand about overbearing parents.  Mine were pretty pushy about what I majored in in school too.  It was never an easy conversation with them.  Of course, one good thing about the way the education system is set up here (assuming you're in the US/Canada) is that what you major in does not necessarily dictate what you'll do as a career.

Yeah, that certainly is a good aspect of the US education system.

I understand this. I get the feeling my Mom doesn't like the idea of me being a history major, and I kinda don't think my Dad wants me to go to school AT ALL. (They've never said this, just the vibe I get). My Mom always asks things like "What can you do with a history degree?"

I'm 29 years old, so of course don't need their approval, but still kinda stinks. If they can't approve of this, how will they ever approve of certain OTHER things?....

Well, it's great that you're doing something you enjoy! I love ancient history. Modern history, not so much...

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2081 on: April 15, 2016, 03:24:16 AM »

Yeah, that certainly is a good aspect of the US education system.

Well, it's great that you're doing something you enjoy! I love ancient history. Modern history, not so much...

As much as I like ancient history, I'm a huge American Civil War buff. After WW2 is where I kinda drop off.

(Sig by me!)

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2082 on: April 15, 2016, 05:48:51 AM »

So, my friend confronted his copycat.  It . . . didn't go well.  The copycat seemed stunned and indignant as he told my friend, "I just thought all of this stuff seemed interesting, so I wanted to try it." 

Oookaay, still not the way to go about it, though.  Sure, it's great to have common interests and learn new things, but when you change your entire lifestyle to mirror someone else's?  It's creepy.  It may not mean to be, but it is.

I suspect copycat has no identity of his own.  My friend said it was kinda sad to see the look of confusion on his face, but you have to draw the line somewhere.   Be yourself.  Everyone else is taken.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2083 on: April 15, 2016, 05:58:17 AM »

Wow.  I'd run for the hills.  The guy could be harmless--but I wouldn't take chances.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2084 on: April 15, 2016, 02:45:38 PM »

Subtlety has its merits.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: