Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1313665 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2100 on: April 16, 2016, 02:48:08 AM »

I'm going to say something petty because this is the venting thread and I can.

I don't get the appeal of this certain author.  I do not understand why they are so popular and their loyal following is irritating the hell out of me.  "So-and-so writes 30K per week and it's flawless!  Not ONE typo!  Not one error!  What a GOD!  If you don't like this author you can fight me!"

Oh, please.  So-and-so has the poorest characterization in the galaxy, you imbeciles.  Ugh, I weep for the future of literary "genius." 

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2101 on: April 16, 2016, 02:54:06 AM »

Please tell me people don't still read Twilight.  Or its little sithspawn, Fifty Shades...

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2102 on: April 16, 2016, 02:57:30 AM »

I'm going to say something petty because this is the venting thread and I can.

I don't get the appeal of this certain author.  I do not understand why they are so popular and their loyal following is irritating the hell out of me.  "So-and-so writes 30K per week and it's flawless!  Not ONE typo!  Not one error!  What a GOD!  If you don't like this author you can fight me!"

I hate people like that.  There are a lot of things that I recognize are well made, from music to movies to books.  That doesn't mean I like them.  I recognize that some of the visual effects in The Lord of the Rings movies are stunning.  I still hate the movies.

Just because something isn't to my personal taste, doesn't mean I think it's crap.  Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I hate it.  And just because I do like something doesn't mean anyone else should too.

And then there are the idiots who like utter garbage, consider it to be the greatest representation of whatever it is, and have the "if you don't think as I do then you're wrong" mindset.  Those people I kill.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:31:01 AM by Vivectius » Logged

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Sailor_Tenchi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #2103 on: April 16, 2016, 03:25:52 AM »

I feel that people tend to have a lot of personal bias when it comes to any kind of media. Which can actually be a good thing--it means people connect to whatever it is. That said, nothing is perfect and certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea, so yeah, it's not fair or reasonable to expect people to have the same opinions.

---

Murphy's Law is kicking my tail lately, but this is especially troubling right now because it's my TAXES. I'm trying to pay them and I can't even begin to describe my irritation with how convoluted it's been.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2104 on: April 16, 2016, 04:03:51 AM »

Please tell me people don't still read Twilight.  Or its little sithspawn, Fifty Shades...

Sadly, yes people still are. The Twilight movies weren't TOO bad, I could watch those and laugh at them for being completely ridiculous. They were entertaining in that sense, but the books, ugh.

I hate people like that.  There are a lot of things that I recognize are well made, from music to movies to books.  That doesn't mean I like them.  I recognize that some of the visual effects in The Lord of the Rings movies are stunning.  I still hate the movies.

Just because something isn't to my personal taste, doesn't mean I think it's crap.  Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I hate it.  And just because I do like something doesn't mean anyone else should too.

I feel this way about Harry Potter. The books were unreadable to me, and I did try. The movies didn't keep me entertained much either, but I COULD see things I liked. The effects were marvelous, as was John Williams score. But beyond that, NOPE not for me.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #2105 on: April 16, 2016, 04:14:51 AM »

Heh...that made me think of this commercial, considering what sort of trouble you could cause if you were distracted or ticked off... Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4LtoJu160

Haha, I do enough damage while being fully concentrated Cheesy

Sidenote: Mayhem's actor will always be Brian Cassidy to me.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2106 on: April 16, 2016, 04:28:53 AM »

I hate people like that.  There are a lot of things that I recognize are well made, from music to movies to books.  That doesn't mean I like them.  I recognize that some of the visual effects in The Lord of the Rings movies are stunning.  I still hate the movies.

Just because something isn't to my personal taste, doesn't mean I think it's crap.  Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I hate it.  And just because I do like something doesn't mean anyone else should too.

And then there are the idiots who like utter garbage, consider it to be the greatest representation of whatever it is, and have the "if you don't think as I do then you're wrong" mindset.  Those people I kill.

EXACTLY THIS.

I actually don't care for Harry Potter, the books OR the movies.  However, I respect the author very much and admire her world-building skills.  Her books will be studied for years to come and she IS a great writer.  I just don't connect with it, but no means is it "bad."  I'm able to not like something and still respect it.

The person I'm fussing about is someone in my writing circle and I'm getting a little sick of seeing them being revered as "god-like" when their work is just as flawed as everyone else's.  My fellow editors and I are just . . . done.  Wow.  Stick a freakin' fork in me. 

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2107 on: April 16, 2016, 04:37:50 AM »

EXACTLY THIS.

I actually don't care for Harry Potter, the books OR the movies.  However, I respect the author very much and admire her world-building skills.  Her books will be studied for years to come and she IS a great writer.  I just don't connect with it, but no means is it "bad."  I'm able to not like something and still respect it.

The person I'm fussing about is someone in my writing circle and I'm getting a little sick of seeing them being revered as "god-like" when their work is just as flawed as everyone else's.  My fellow editors and I are just . . . done.  Wow.  Stick a freakin' fork in me. 

Don't get me wrong, just because I couldn't read them, doesn't mean I thought they were bad. Just not for me. Like you, I just couldn't connect with it enough. The first two chapters of book one were boring, but I understood the need to set up the character's background as extensively as she was. Though I DO think she could have been less "long winded" about it. Wink

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2108 on: April 16, 2016, 05:01:01 AM »

Oh dear, don't start me about attitudes in writers' groups.

There's a reason I don't participate in one.  I used to in my area, but they were of the mind that there was only one right reason to write.  To get published and make money.  Not as a hobby or for fun.  I didn't get kicked out or anything, but I left the group because I felt uncomfortable with certain people that pretty much told me I was wasting my time, etc.

When I write, it is strictly for fun.  I do NOT want a thing like money getting in the way, or any other entanglements.  Fanfic is what I like, and I know that means I won't see a cent from it, and I am totally cool with that.  I want it to be play, not a livelihood.  Do I strive to learn and grow with each thing I write?  Yes.  But I am not going to go at it with the intensity of someone who writes for a living (or if I were to, not on the subjects that "you can actually get published with").

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2109 on: April 16, 2016, 06:19:14 AM »

Oh dear, don't start me about attitudes in writers' groups.

There's a reason I don't participate in one.  I used to in my area, but they were of the mind that there was only one right reason to write.  To get published and make money.  Not as a hobby or for fun.  I didn't get kicked out or anything, but I left the group because I felt uncomfortable with certain people that pretty much told me I was wasting my time, etc.

When I write, it is strictly for fun.  I do NOT want a thing like money getting in the way, or any other entanglements.  Fanfic is what I like, and I know that means I won't see a cent from it, and I am totally cool with that.  I want it to be play, not a livelihood.  Do I strive to learn and grow with each thing I write?  Yes.  But I am not going to go at it with the intensity of someone who writes for a living (or if I were to, not on the subjects that "you can actually get published with").

Here's the hilarious thing.  We're all professional writers/editors, but this group is strictly for "fun" writing.  Some of it is fanfiction, some of it is original, but it's all just "fiction for the sake of fiction." 

This one person is revered by many, many readers in a way I simply don't understand.  None of us do.  And it's not a "oh, their work gets read and ours doesn't!" type of thing.  It's literally just baffling.  It's good work, but others in the group are better.  I don't understand why this particular person is getting all the press, so to speak.

I have a degree in creative writing and let me tell you what, writing groups are the 9th circle of Hell.  We used to have "concrit day"  (constructive criticism day) where everyone would put their desks in a circle and the writer for that day would sit in the center.  During the session, you couldn't speak.  You couldn't explain why you may or may not have done something.  You simply had to sit there and listen while 15 other students ripped your work to shreds.  Then?  You had to act grateful for it.  LMFAO, get out.

This group isn't like that.  We basically sit around and talk about ideas, make fun of ourselves, and take turns laughing at what terrible things we do to characters.  I think I won the award this week for "You Did WHAT to That Character? Are You Freakin' KIDDING ME?"  One day, I'm going to wake up, and some of these characters will lynch me.

It will be a fine death.   

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2774

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2110 on: April 19, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »

Revenge is sweet.

So I got these white trash neighbors that live behind me that have the dumbest of dumbass German shepherds. This dog will bark at nothing for hours. Birds are chirping, grass is growing, the sky is blue. Only the Force knows why this dog never shuts up. I've all but got the cops on speed dial, because it is nothing for this mongrel to be at it well past midnight.

Well last night I was cleaning up the yard and burning off dead wood, so like any responsible fire bug, I had the hose with me. And when that shellhead started in on me, I let 'im have it. I didn't get so much as a peep the rest of the time I was out there.

That said....I'm fully aware that most times bad dogs are a product of bad humans. It would probably serve me better to turn the hose on the owners every time the dog starts up, but there bound to be some dumbass law that says hose spraying constitutes assault. Honestly, how did we become such a powerful nation with laws that pander to pansies and morons? But that's a different vent.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2111 on: April 19, 2016, 08:03:39 PM »

Yeah, that's almost always the humans' fault.  Either the dog is simply not given appropriate discipline and structure...or the dog feels insecure due to neglect or some other form of mistreatment.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #2112 on: April 19, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »

Wow, sounds like someone must have been absolutely out of their mind.  I hope no one was hurt!

lol that ship sailed in the first 5 seconds

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2113 on: April 20, 2016, 01:21:08 AM »

Why are people stupid?

I mean, I do stupid things from time to time, but I don't post questions that basically say "I know it's a stupid thing to do, but is it ok if I do it anyway?"  Yes, yes it is ok.  Now go out there and win a Darwin Award!!!!

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2774

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2114 on: April 20, 2016, 04:37:53 PM »

Why are people stupid?

I mean, I do stupid things from time to time, but I don't post questions that basically say "I know it's a stupid thing to do, but is it ok if I do it anyway?"  Yes, yes it is ok.  Now go out there and win a Darwin Award!!!!

IKR? It's like some people make stupid a life style. Like red necks, and other ethnic variations. It's sad to think that the truly intelligent don't have enough pull in society to brand this mindset as an unforgivable faux pas.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: