Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306690 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2265 on: April 29, 2016, 11:51:37 PM »

It's the same here--an ice storm, a little snow, or even excessively cold temperatures can close the schools (the last sadly due to lack of heating on the buses and some households not having proper winter gear for the kids Sad ).  We just do not have snow removal resources.  The best we can do IF there is no rain before the incoming storm is salt the most important roads and cross our fingers.  If it ices over, you're just not going out.  And if it snows you can get out but you'd better fear the idiots on the road that don't know how to drive in it.  But when it comes to the lack of snow equipment, why would we have it when in a normal year it only snows or ices 2 times on average?  In a more severe winter (by our standards) that can mean running out of salt for the road, but I've only seen that a couple times ever.

Don't worry, people here magically forget how to drive in snow over the summer, even though we live in a state that gets a ton of it every year.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2266 on: April 29, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »

Don't worry, people here magically forget how to drive in snow over the summer, even though we live in a state that gets a ton of it every year.

Same here.

Driver A: "Ack! What's this white stuff falling from the sky? I should drive 10 mph on the highway."
Driver B: "My truck can still go 85 in a 55 through this stuff!"
All other drivers: "Wow! Did you see that truck spin out, cross three lanes and totally wipe out the rear end of that slow car?"

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2267 on: April 30, 2016, 12:04:57 AM »

Same here.

Driver A: "Ack! What's this white stuff falling from the sky? I should drive 10 mph on the highway."
All other drivers: "Wow! Did you see that truck spin out, cross three lanes and totally wipe out the rear end of that slow car?"

And then there's one for this area...

"OMG, ICE!  BRAKE BRAKEBRAKEBRAKE!"  ::fishtail, spin out:::

"Oh, it's above freezing, this elevated highway will be juuuust fine on this bridge that goes into a curve--"  ::fishtail, spin out, slam into barrier::

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2268 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »

Same here.

Driver in C: "Oh crap, it's snowing! I'd better drive to the tire shop RIGHT THIS MINUTE, and get these bald summer tires off!"

*Hydroplanes across all four lanes of highway, right into the wrecked truck and slow car.*

(Sig by me!)

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #2269 on: April 30, 2016, 12:18:21 AM »

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is to pay attention to the semis. First, their professional drivers. Most of them know what they're doing and can drive circles around us in comparable vehicles. Second, they have a lot of power and weight to be able to get through the conditions. So if they're slowing down or pulling over, then maybe the cars and truck should, too.

Again, just a generality, but it is a good one.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2270 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33:38 AM »

One caveat to that: it does make a difference which company said semi driver drives for.  When I used to drive extensively for work, I learned really quickly which semis were likely to be civil on the road and which ones were going to be aggressive jerks just by the company.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #2271 on: April 30, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »

Like I said, it's a general rule. If you notice the semis around you changing the way they drive, you probably should, too.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2272 on: April 30, 2016, 01:07:22 AM »

That happens when we have heavy rain here.  Everyone FREAKS OUT, even though we have heavy rains several times a month ALL YEAR.  It floods quickly here and a lot of people think they can drive through flood waters and I'm just like . . .  : Huh

They hydroplane, skid out of control, and cause a 10 car pile up.  It's VERY common and I am disturbed by this.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2273 on: April 30, 2016, 01:12:21 AM »

Pennsylvanians have no concept of changing their driving to fit the conditions. Neither do New Yorkers, or New Jersians.....actually it's the whole East Coast.

(Sig by me!)

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2274 on: April 30, 2016, 01:56:59 AM »

Pennsylvanians have no concept of changing their driving to fit the conditions. Neither do New Yorkers, or New Jersians.....actually it's the whole East Coast.

This too is true.  Here they don't forget how to drive in snow between the seasons, they forget between snowfalls, sometimes even just while they're at work..  Even when the snow falls for days consecutively, people forget.  And I live in a city where there are two seasons, winter and Fourth of July weekend.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2275 on: April 30, 2016, 02:12:20 AM »

This too is true.  Here they don't forget how to drive in snow between the seasons, they forget between snowfalls, sometimes even just while they're at work..  Even when the snow falls for days consecutively, people forget.  And I live in a city where there are two seasons, winter and Fourth of July weekend.

Yup. I see this, it's true.

(Sig by me!)

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2276 on: April 30, 2016, 02:59:23 AM »

Whereas we have summer and  "that one day sometime in January/February where there is ice for 5 seconds."

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2277 on: April 30, 2016, 04:15:28 AM »

Whereas we have summer and  "that one day sometime in January/February where there is ice for 5 seconds."

I'll trade ya.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2278 on: April 30, 2016, 06:16:33 AM »

I'll trade ya.

Everyone that says that spends a week here in August and is crying for their cold weather in a matter of hours.  With the humidity comes bugs that can kill you and tires literally melting onto the pavement.  Also, hurricanes, flash floods, and tornadoes.

But I won't lie.  I love it here and I'm okay with all of that because we have New Orleans and the rest of the world doesn't.   Cheesy

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2279 on: April 30, 2016, 07:15:57 AM »

In contrast people come her saying, oh the dry heat is so nice compared to back home and then they end up in the hospital because staying hydrated is something you actively have to do here. I can't tell you how many people have to be airvac'd out of here because they thought a few water bottles would be enough to sustain them for the day.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: