Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1313027 times)
Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2565 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:25 AM »

Just nuked the forced upgrade .exe and all its tasks.  AGAIN.  This is the second time I've had to go in there and destroy it because MS did NOT make it easy to get rid of their blasted nagware.  It had better not regrow a third time.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2566 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »

It will. MS designs these things to pester you. Iget that question twice a week at work "How do Iget rid of the upgrde thingy?" You don't, you just ignore it.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2567 on: May 25, 2016, 04:08:33 AM »

It will. MS designs these things to pester you. Iget that question twice a week at work "How do Iget rid of the upgrde thingy?" You don't, you just ignore it.

I killed it.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

If it reinstalls on the next Windows update, I will kill it again.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2568 on: May 25, 2016, 04:26:15 AM »

Ah, so there IS a way!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2569 on: May 25, 2016, 04:43:15 AM »

Yep.  I have had to do it twice though, because MS tries to sneak it back on when they do Windows Update.  And you have to do the whole "folder permissions" rigamarole again on the reinstalled crap.

(Note: I did not do the registry edit part.  I will do anything in Windows except that.)

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2570 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:59 AM »

I didn't want it in the first place, but I thought I might give it a try since my tablet came with it.  And lo and behold, both my tablet AND laptop have had various issues (though the tablet was easier to solve).  It was BAD.  I have never had an OS act this badly, ever.  I am so glad to have rolled back to 8.1 and I will never let MS pull this trick on me again!!!

You're not gonna have a choice at some point. Windows10 is the final iteration of Windows, with nothing but rolling updates from here on out. You will not see a Windows11 or something like it. Eventually, Microsoft will stop support of Windows 8.1 and then stop all security updates. When that happens, there's no more security patches or fixes. People running these softwares will find their devices vulnerable to attack and people WILL take advantage. If you want to keep Win8.1, that's fine. However, once MS stops supporting and patching it, I STRONGLY suggest you upgrade to 10 and do it properly (i.e. - a complete wipe and installation).

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2571 on: May 25, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »

You're not gonna have a choice at some point. Windows10 is the final iteration of Windows, with nothing but rolling updates from here on out. You will not see a Windows11 or something like it. Eventually, Microsoft will stop support of Windows 8.1 and then stop all security updates. When that happens, there's no more security patches or fixes. People running these softwares will find their devices vulnerable to attack and people WILL take advantage. If you want to keep Win8.1, that's fine. However, once MS stops supporting and patching it, I STRONGLY suggest you upgrade to 10 and do it properly (i.e. - a complete wipe and installation).

That's the point where I am going to think seriously about Apple or (shudder) Linux.  Dead serious.  No one pushes stuff onto my computer that I did not agree to.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2572 on: May 25, 2016, 05:04:50 AM »

That's the point where I am going to think seriously about Apple or (shudder) Linux.  Dead serious.  No one pushes stuff onto my computer that I did not agree to.

As a computer enthusiast, I think you're kind of making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not saying you aren't justified, but I think you might be overreacting a tad bit.

At the end of the day, it's not a bad thing to get Windows 10 from Microsoft. In fact, it's saving you between $100 (for a 32-bit version) and $140 (64-bit version). Now, do I agree that they're going overboard on pushing the software? Sure. I think they're trying to get everyone out there up to speed as soon as possible. Good intentions, not-so-good implementation.

Now, as to Apple, if you hate the idea of stuff being pushed onto your computer without your permission, you better steer clear. Apple's software updates are automatic and there's no getting around them or postponing them. If the notice comes up, you can't dismiss it and do it later. You better save your work and let it do its thing. You have no choice in the matter.

Linux is actually the best option of the three, but it takes some serious technical know-how to do things and you better get familiar with code.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2573 on: May 25, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »

For the time being, I'm going to run my current laptop into the ground on 8.1.  Based on the average life expectancy for a laptop, I'd say I've got another 2-3 years or so before I have to think about a new laptop purchase, and that will give me time to watch Microsoft's behavior and see if things get any better.  I have my doubts on that though.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Nelo Angelo
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -83

« Reply #2574 on: May 25, 2016, 05:24:37 AM »

For the time being, I'm going to run my current laptop into the ground on 8.1.  Based on the average life expectancy for a laptop, I'd say I've got another 2-3 years or so before I have to think about a new laptop purchase, and that will give me time to watch Microsoft's behavior and see if things get any better.  I have my doubts on that though.

Windows 10 is a lot better than 8.1. Interface is similar to win 7 (best OS IMO).

Ive had no issues since upgrading. I didn't like 8.1 at all..

" The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2575 on: May 25, 2016, 05:58:43 AM »

Honestly, the reason why MS is really pushing the free update is because the deadline for it is coming up on July 29th. After that date, you won't see any more prompts to update as the deadline will have passed. Unfortunately, this means that any upgrade after that date will be on you for the cost of the software.

Incidentally, the other issue with Windows 10 upgrade (versus purchasing the software yourself) is that it doesn't use a product key to install. Instead, it uses the key for Win 7/8/8.1 and locks itself to the hardware configuration in the UEFI at the time of installation. This isn't a problem on tablets and laptops, but can be on desktop systems. Swapping out hard drives or upgrading the GPU won't cause any problems, but changing the CPU or motherboard is such a drastic change to the UEFI that your copy of Windows won't be able to properly function. Again, this is only an issue in desktop systems. Laptops and other mobile devices aren't an issue because the motherboard and CPU are designed to not be upgradable without extreme effort and cost (so much so that purchasing new is the far more cost effective option).

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2576 on: May 25, 2016, 06:10:02 AM »

Windows 10 is a lot better than 8.1. Interface is similar to win 7 (best OS IMO).

Ive had no issues since upgrading. I didn't like 8.1 at all..

Some people have had problems with Win10. I had problems and had to do a complete reset to fix the issues. Basically, Win10 encountered incompatibilities with my Win7 setup (a not uncommon occurrence). This led to some bugginess in how Win10 operates, as it was not able to reconcile how things were before with how it needed to be for Win10 to operate properly. Hence, the errors and "not working right." This is just a standard problem with any kind of software upgrade, really.

What I wound up doing was making sure all mt important files were on a portable drive and did a full reset of Win10.

This is the methodology I used:

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Now, doing this will ask if you want to keep your files or get rid of them. I recommend getting rid of them, which is why I said to save your important stuff to a portable drive.

Once you do this, Windows 10 will erase your C: drive and reinstall from scratch, giving you a nice, clean installation to work with that will, most importantly, work correctly.

Once this is done, you can reinstall any drivers you need (I recommend going to the manufacturer's website and installing the absolute latest versions, as earlier versions may not work well with Windows 10. This is especially important for video card drivers. In fact, do not use video card drivers from Windows Update, as they are one or two generations behind. ALWAYS use the drivers from manufacturer's website.

Once this is done, go about setting Windows up how you like, installing your software, and moving all your important files back.

Boom. Done. Thank you and good night. *mic drop*

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #2577 on: May 25, 2016, 07:01:52 AM »

I'm still rocking Windows 7 myself.  It's my personal favorite. 

Don't need all that new techy crap.  Also, get off my lawn.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2578 on: May 25, 2016, 07:39:07 AM »

I'm still rocking Windows 7 myself.  It's my personal favorite. 

Don't need all that new techy crap.  Also, get off my lawn.

Get your lawn out from under my feet  Shocked

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #2579 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »

I reluctantly upgraded to 10 last week because of the impending deadline from 7.

As predicted, little quirks emerged with 10.

First thing that boiled me over with 10 after installation was when you right click your mouse on your desktop. Normally this is to access View, Sort, Refresh etc. But with 10, the mouse right click just hang there with a blue oscillating circle and it took about 20 to 30 seconds for the menu to show. Frustrating. I searched all over high and low for a solution, and found four youtube videos that recommended "solutions", and only the fourth that I followed worked.

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: