Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1313795 times)
Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2760 on: June 21, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »

Yeah....we don't have people skillz

My wife does, which is part of the reason she struggled in school, but also explains why professors and classmates loved her, helped her, and rooted for her.

It's also helping her current job, which is technical purchasing. She can look at the specs of the drawing and materials, and she can explain it in a way that the manufacturers understand, and she can use her people skills to get it done quickly. If they say, "Can't it just be made out of _____ ? It would save you a whole lot of money." Most buyers would have to get back to them after bugging the engineer, whereas my wife can immediately come back with, "No. ____ can only tolerate temperatures up to x degrees, and I need it to tolerate y degrees."

This prevents a lot of time being wasted on everyone's end.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #2761 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »

Yeah....we don't have people skillz
And, no offence to you at all Darth Logos, but Engineers have no place educating.

Smart as whips - can't teach to save a life.

My year one math prof was an Engineer.  Just could not see how anyone would "not get" something.

I did fine.  Others - not so much.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2774

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2762 on: June 21, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »

My wife dies

That's so sad. Cry

And, no offence to you at all Darth Logos, but Engineers have no place educating.

Smart as whips - can't teach to save a life.

My year one math prof was an Engineer.  Just could not see how anyone would "not get" something.

I did fine.  Others - not so much.

I am offended. If an "engineer" can't be creative enough to effectively explain an idea to someone, then they are a terrible engineer. What's the good of having a world changing idea if you can't explain it? My profs and TAs loved my reports because I was good at the explaining part. I got that from applying the best acvice I was ever given about how to write a technical report. "Write the report under the assumption that whoever reads it has no clue what you're talking about, and needs everything explained."

This wasn't a calculus class was it?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #2763 on: June 21, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »

That's so sad. Cry

That was supposed to say "does." I fixed it. Yeah, that would be sad.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #2764 on: June 21, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »

That's so sad. Cry

I am offended. If an "engineer" can't be creative enough to effectively explain an idea to someone, then they are a terrible engineer. What's the good of having a world changing idea if you can't explain it? My profs and TAs loved my reports because I was good at the explaining part. I got that from applying the best acvice I was ever given about how to write a technical report. "Write the report under the assumption that whoever reads it has no clue what you're talking about, and needs everything explained."

This wasn't a calculus class was it?
Nope - just plain, applied mathematics.

I'm sorry I offended you.  Perhaps he was an isolated case, but I do remember peers complaining of other "vague" engineer profs.

I fully understand the need for clarity - especially in reports.  At the lab where I worked, management made all of the "big" decisions, but they had merely a basic knowledge of chemistry.
Any time a change needed to be made, it had to be explained why very clearly.  It was like telling five year olds sometimes.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #2765 on: June 21, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »

I'm sorry I offended you.  Perhaps he was an isolated case, but I do remember peers complaining of other "vague" engineer profs.

I fully understand the need for clarity - especially in reports.  At the lab where I worked, management made all of the "big" decisions, but they had merely a basic knowledge of chemistry.
Any time a change needed to be made, it had to be explained why very clearly.  It was like telling five year olds sometimes.

That's because managers are more often business people and not necessarily people from that field.

My school board is all business people. They're great at making business deals that favor my school in terms of discounts, fundraising, etc., but they just don't get the need for certain decisions about personnel or students.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2766 on: June 21, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »

That was supposed to say "does." I fixed it. Yeah, that would be sad.

I knew.

WOW! That's bad. At some level I can sympathize with him, though. Algebra and Geometry are the life blood of engineering. So trying to explain some things might be like trying to teach someone how to chew.

I'm more offended that I share a profession with that putz. But there is a really good reason why the field of "engineering" is so diversified. We're not all good at the same things. I worked with a master electrician; knew more about electricity than any of my professors did in college, but couldn't use CAD to show it electronically.

Maybe, but a good manager should have at least a rudimentary understanding of the processes that they supposedly manage. If you need 4 molar HCL and they order 3 molar, there's an issue, but most won't think that a 1 molar difference is that big a deal. It's still hydrochloric acid. When in truth there is a huge difference.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Abaddon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 96

« Reply #2767 on: June 21, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »

I always assume everything is a trap. That's why the salesmen haven't got me yet.

Whatever. Learn to read a print. Tongue Kidding aside, you would like my prints.

Learn to draw it right the first time so I don't have to improvise.  Wink

If anyone ever tries to kill you, you try and kill 'em right back.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2768 on: June 21, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »

Learn to draw it right the first time so I don't have to improvise.  Wink

Like I said, you haven't been able to work off one of my prints.

PS: Improvising can be a dangerous idea.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Abaddon
Knight Commander

« Reply #2769 on: June 21, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »

That's what I'm living right now.. In three weeks the build designs have changed steadily. Every day there are at minimum three changes that we suddenly have to adapt to.

I get that it's growing pains but it's frustrating when your supervisor says "It look good but now we have to add/subtract/completely change this from now on."

And Logos, P.S. (since I'm in a smartass mood  Wink ) I know well enough about my trade that I know what can and can't be changed/improvised to have the build be done the way it needs to without damaging the structural integrity of said build. And in the rare event that I'm not sure, I verify before I start.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2770 on: June 21, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »

That's what I'm living right now.. In three weeks the build designs have changed steadily. Every day there are at minimum three changes that we suddenly have to adapt to.

I get that it's growing pains but it's frustrating when your supervisor says "It look good but now we have to add/subtract/completely change this from now on."

And Logos, P.S. (since I'm in a smartass mood  Wink ) I know well enough about my trade that I know what can and can't be changed/improvised to have the build be done the way it needs to without damaging the structural integrity of said build. And in the rare event that I'm not sure, I verify before I start.

I usually blame the customers for the inexplicably random stupid factor.

PS: I know you know. Welding would be one of few areas where I would trust that the tradesman knows more about what's going on than the engineer. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Roll Eyes

PPS: Welding was not my forte in manufacturing processes.  Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2771 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »

Indeed it can. When I improvise... Well, my sig about Mad Science comes into play.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2772 on: June 21, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »

I've probably ranted about this before, but allow me to do it again. 

I'm really sick of all the "writing advice" I see going around in my writing circles.  Said it not dead, there's nothing wrong with using adverbs in moderation, and if you are writing two characters of the same gender, it's 110% okay to refer to one of them by a physical characteristic in order to differentiate between the two instead of constantly using their names.  It does not "reduce them to parts." 

Yes, there are such things as proper grammatical structure and punctuation, but if the writing is doing its job, you needn't worry about any of the above-mentioned things.  There's no "one correct way" to write a story.  Go outside.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2773 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:28 PM »

I've probably ranted about this before, but allow me to do it again. 

I'm really sick of all the "writing advice" I see going around in my writing circles.  Said it not dead, there's nothing wrong with using adverbs in moderation, and if you are writing two characters of the same gender, it's 110% okay to refer to one of them by a physical characteristic in order to differentiate between the two instead of constantly using their names.  It does not "reduce them to parts." 

Yes, there are such things as proper grammatical structure and punctuation, but if the writing is doing its job, you needn't worry about any of the above-mentioned things.  There's no "one correct way" to write a story.  Go outside.

I blame it on today's overly PC "mind my pronouns" crowd. Everyone is getting butthurt over things that ultimately don't matter.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Abaddon
Knight Commander

« Reply #2774 on: June 21, 2016, 10:27:41 PM »

I usually blame the customers for the inexplicably random stupid factor.

PS: I know you know. Welding would be one of few areas where I would trust that the tradesman knows more about what's going on than the engineer. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Roll Eyes

PPS: Welding was not my forte in manufacturing processes.  Tongue

Oh, I was paying attention  Wink. Don't pay attention in my field and someone can die.

Welding is definitely not for everyone. You have to be a stubborn bastard with a high tolerance for pain, both physically from the burns and mentally for when the engineer screws up the print.  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: