Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306933 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2925 on: June 30, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »

The scary thing about the term Muggle (and Squib) as opposed to mudblood was that the former was so normalized that even some of the most well-meaning people, like the Weasleys, used it with abandon.  Good guys, in other words, partook in a better-dressed form of the same elitism.

I think that the terms "muggle" and "squib" were just words, much like the Hawaiian word "haole". Formerly it used to simply mean "foreigner", but has since become specifically aimed at white people; more specifically at white tourists.

In a similar fashion, to those that consider themselves "elite" because of there magical prowess, terms denoting a lack of magical ability would be derogatory. But to those who that don't think that way, they are just words that are easier to say than "non-magical human".

In a similar sense though, I classify the designation "Asian" as disrespectful because to me it says "Y'all look alike, and I can't be bothered to learn the difference, and don't care enough to ask."

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2926 on: June 30, 2016, 04:53:33 PM »

In a similar sense though, I classify the designation "Asian" as disrespectful because to me it says "Y'all look alike, and I can't be bothered to learn the difference, and don't care enough to ask."

By that same token, wouldn't the terms "Hispanic," "Black," "Native American," "Middle Eastern," "Pacific Islander," and "Caucasian" ALSO be considered disrespectful? I mean, it's the same thing all the way around... a shortcut to describe a specific ethnicity.

Then again, I look at it differently than others. I differentiate between ethnicity and nationality and don't factor ancestry into the mix. Even though I am of Irish and Norwegian heritage, I am both Caucasian and American. Darth Knox is both Black and British. You are Asian and (I'm assuming) American.

Specifying your heritage in what you call yourself, such as Japanese-American or French-American, tells me that you hold dual citizenship. But that's just my opinion.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2927 on: June 30, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »

At least personally I would not expect most people to look at me and be able to identify my heritage, particularly Americans, because so many of us have mixed lineage.  Europeans are probably better able to tell, but I just don't expect that of my fellow Americans.  Heck, I couldn't even tell, looking at my own face, other than how pale I am!  Cheesy  Not until I found some drawing reference materials that (VERY respectfully) explained how to depict people if you're drawing a period piece that requires you to portray people from particular regions.

I've had a few people who were actually FROM the Netherlands and Germany who were able to tell just by looking at me that I'm of Germanic descent--or at least, that I take the most after that part of my background.  But here in the States...I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to figure that out.  I am, however, obviously white.  As in, sunburn on top of a sunburn white.  But I wouldn't expect people to be able to see anything more "detailed" than that.  That's just me, anyway.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2928 on: June 30, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

I think that the terms "muggle" and "squib" were just words, much like the Hawaiian word "haole". Formerly it used to simply mean "foreigner", but has since become specifically aimed at white people; more specifically at white tourists.

In a similar fashion, to those that consider themselves "elite" because of there magical prowess, terms denoting a lack of magical ability would be derogatory. But to those who that don't think that way, they are just words that are easier to say than "non-magical human".

Right. A lot of times it isn't the word but the intent. A word is just a jumble of letters. By themselves, they aren't anything, but when you put some tone and other words around them, they can hurt, inform, enlighten, and/or bring humor. A lot has to do with the speaker/writer and their motivation.

You must also consider the recipient. I can tell a joke to a group. Some will laugh, others won't, and others may be offended.

In this case, consider the term muggle. How many times did kids with muggle parents refer to them as muggles? I doubt they meant any offense, nor would their parents have been offended. Now have Draco Malfoy say it. Completely different.

That's they way it is with a lot of things. Money is amoral. It has no belief system. What someone does with their money can be either good, evil, or nothing. The same with say a scalpel or Force powers.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2929 on: June 30, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »

By that same token, wouldn't the terms "Hispanic," "Black," "Native American," "Middle Eastern," "Pacific Islander," and "Caucasian" ALSO be considered disrespectful? I mean, it's the same thing all the way around... a shortcut to describe a specific ethnicity.

Then again, I look at it differently than others. I differentiate between ethnicity and nationality and don't factor ancestry into the mix. Even though I am of Irish and Norwegian heritage, I am both Caucasian and American. Darth Knox is both Black and British. You are Asian and (I'm assuming) American.

Specifying your heritage in what you call yourself, such as Japanese-American or French-American, tells me that you hold dual citizenship. But that's just my opinion.

I'm actually "white". Known heritage descends from Scotch-Irish and German lines. But I mean, stop and think about how giganormous the Asian continent is. Most of Russia is in Asia, but they're not "Asian". Much of the Middle East and all of India lies in Asia, and they aren't "Asian" either. Personally, I think the term "Oriental" was perfectly acceptable, as it was more specific to the Eastern Asian countries that are now specified as "Asian". But then, I also don't get people in general, so whatever.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #2930 on: June 30, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »

Hey, now Force powers can be inherently evil, as mind set is part of how some Force powers are achieved. I don't have to lift an enemy by the neck, and if I do, anger may or may not be involved. And some may have a sense of justice to make green lightning, but it's not easy for all to keep from turning it to rage, so it's still considered a forbidden power in The Jedi Path. There are Sith powers and alchemy that involve death and blood, so I don't buy the fallen Jedi teachings of no such thing as dark side or an amoral Force.

I looked up 'oriental' and it has connection with British regime forcing their ways in the area that British back then called 'The Orient'. While it might just be used by some to refer to a trade area and the people from there, the negatives in history may come to mind for people from the area who won't want to be referred to that way. In truth, race doesn't exist. In the United States of America, 'black' and 'white' is a generalization for what is really African heritage and European heritage. Europe used to be racially diverse, but the mixtures over time made things less definitive until it's just 'white' with hair and eye color losing 'racial' attachments they once had in certain areas and tribes. Now, we just say the Angles and Saxons are when white met bread. To distinguish someone more specifically is to be more aware of stereotypical appearance. But, to generalize can ignore something specific about someone. Asian means ancestry that is recognizable from the continent of Asia. White really means European. Black really means Africa. But there are generations of skin colors that are in other areas long since separated from Europe or Africa since before written history. Most people just need a simple concept to label what they see. We just don't like to be pigeon holed into any stereotype that we don't feel like is us. That's why I refuse to be referred to as anything other than Scotch-Irish-Native American. "The whitest white boy ever seen" is one that I've heard many times. And that's what I'm venting about.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2931 on: June 30, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »

I looked up 'oriental' and it has connection with British regime forcing their ways in the area that British back then called 'The Orient'. While it might just be used by some to refer to a trade area and the people from there, the negatives in history may come to mind for people from the area who won't want to be referred to that way.

Yeah I figured there would be a legitimate reason for it not being liked.

Sig by For Tyeth

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #2932 on: June 30, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »

I think you're the first person I know of to find "Asian" disrespectful Cheesy

I'm actually "white". Known heritage descends from Scotch-Irish and German lines. But I mean, stop and think about how giganormous the Asian continent is. Most of Russia is in Asia, but they're not "Asian". Much of the Middle East and all of India lies in Asia, and they aren't "Asian" either. Personally, I think the term "Oriental" was perfectly acceptable, as it was more specific to the Eastern Asian countries that are now specified as "Asian". But then, I also don't get people in general, so whatever.

Another interesting thing to note: Most US citizens don't consider Mexicans, Canadians and South Americans to be Americans when we're literally in the Americas. Spanish speakers refer to people in the US as "North Americans".

The labeling of countries as "Asian" might have a lot to do with cultural influence rather than strict geographical borders; "Asian" probably refers to cultures being highly influenced by major countries like China and Japan.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2933 on: June 30, 2016, 09:07:46 PM »

That's a vent in it's own right.  Words that have been used for years being "banned" because someone somewhere got offended. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2934 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »

That's a vent in it's own right.  Words that have been used for years being "banned" because someone somewhere got offended. 

The fact that you don't like this is giving me a trigger!  Wink

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2935 on: June 30, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »

I think you're the first person I know of to find "Asian" disrespectful Cheesy

Another interesting thing to note: Most US citizens don't consider Mexicans, Canadians and South Americans to be Americans when we're literally in the Americas. Spanish speakers refer to people in the US as "North Americans".

I'm weird like that.

But then the Europeans all get lumped together, except the Brits don't want any part of that mess anymore. Roll Eyes Tongue And Africans are on Africa, even the ones that live in the south that are as white as I am. And those kriffing kangaroos in Australia.

I just wish people could use a label/stereotype as an inspiration to rise above. It's like when you hear Brits venting about Americans being so.....American. 3 words:

YES

I

AM

But just because I am American doesn't mean I'm typical. I actually would prefer a rat's ass to watching NASCAR, and I despise Country more than any other music form. Truth be told I'm very excited to see the Austrian GP this weekend.

If enough people deviated from the "typical", would the label stick?

Sig by For Tyeth

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2936 on: June 30, 2016, 09:45:28 PM »

"Typical" and "normal" are nothing but societal constructs designed to do two things... Include people like you and exclude people who aren't. I find the whole idea to be offensive.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2937 on: July 01, 2016, 03:42:46 AM »

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2938 on: July 01, 2016, 03:56:28 AM »

Bwaaahahaha.

And wow, I just read the most contorted "attack" on something I said on another site.  "You believe ______, but _______ organization is against that thing.  They're against that thing, so YOU'RE AN IDIOT."

I didn't say I belonged to that group (I don't), but...wow, just wow, my head just turned inside out at the complete illogic involved, plus the temerity of calling ME an idiot when their reasoning was so contorted. O_O

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2939 on: July 01, 2016, 04:46:45 AM »

Bwaaahahaha.

And wow, I just read the most contorted "attack" on something I said on another site.  "You believe ______, but _______ organization is against that thing.  They're against that thing, so YOU'RE AN IDIOT."

I didn't say I belonged to that group (I don't), but...wow, just wow, my head just turned inside out at the complete illogic involved, plus the temerity of calling ME an idiot when their reasoning was so contorted. O_O

Ask this person if they're ever read anything about logical fallacies because this a winner.

My favorite is when they claim I said something, so I quote what I literally just typed and ask them to point out where I said it.  And they STILL claim I said it, even when it isn't there.   Roll Eyes  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: