Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1313220 times)
Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #3000 on: July 04, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »

They've been popping them since Thursday, actually.   Roll Eyes  During the weekdays, they have to stop by 10pm but on the weekend, they can go until midnight (I think).  Well, it's 1:45am and they JUST stopped about half an hour ago.  Look, I can handle a few hours of boom-pop-pow, but from 7pm to 1am is just a little ridiculous. 

The big "celebration" here was last night, but that's downtown so it's a good 20 miles from here.  I must confess that I actually enjoy the New Years fireworks here because everyone sets them off at the same time and I can see them over my lake and it lasts about 30 minutes . . . and then, they stop.  Totally doable. 

But could we not do this for 6 hours for 4 days?  That's just ridiculous. 

I hate when the 4th falls any where between Friday-Monday because the whole weekend turns into one long celebration that gets old quickly.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #3001 on: July 04, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »

What irritates is that my neighbor is a war vet.  He's a young guy, but he's still a vet, and the fireworks make him SUPER anxious.  There are also a lot of people here with very young children who are afraid of loud noises.  I'm sure it's pretty hard for a baby to understand that nothing bad is happening outside.    Tongue

And the pets.  This is the one that REALLY makes me angry.  Pets don't understand what's going on and it can be absolute chaos for the owners.  I am one of the lucky ones because Padawag isn't afraid at all, but the majority of pets are.  One of my dear friends has a dog she has to tranquilize for DAYS because of this crap or he will literally make himself sick from the fear.  She's had to take him the ER vet twice in the past few years because he's that afraid and gets that sick.  Why should she have to spend $400 on an ER vet visit so her neighbors can pop $30 worth of fireworks in their backyard? 

I went outside this morning and found pieces of various fireworks WAY too near my husband's car for my liking, too.  Bottle rocks and such.  It irritates me that we live in a very large suburban neighborhood packed with people on some streets and yet, this is considered "the country," so people can shoot these damn things for hours and hours any time they damn well please. 

If I can't see it banned, I think it should like trick-or-treat here.  There's a designated window of time to do it on ONE day and once that time is over?  Stop it.  See you next year (or never).

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3002 on: July 04, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »

I'm thankful that my cats, being indoor only, seem to understand there are walls between them and what's going on outside.  They don't seem any more on edge than when there's a thunderstorm or a dog barks outside.

I'm surprised that excessive fireworks aren't considered disturbance of the peace.  Where I live, it's illegal.  People do it a little anyway and there seems to be an understanding that you can get away with it in small amounts on New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July but that if you get out of hand with it, cops will be called.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #3003 on: July 04, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »

It's illegal in the city limits here. 

Fun fact:  My neighborhood is literally TWO MILES from the "city line."  That pisses me off.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3004 on: July 04, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »

I basically just got told by someone I worked closely with in another fandom, when I explained some of why I have been absent (Star Wars, Kylo Ren), what amounts to, "You could do so much better than THAT!"

I know some people don't like Ren's character, and I get why.  But somehow that tone from someone that I like (and I still do...this was someone who by their own admission is sometimes too blunt and doesn't mean any harm by it)...even KNOWING that they almost certainly didn't mean anything personal...

It just kinda bothers me a bit.  This is why I didn't share the details of my new fandom, of where I am now, all of what I do, and certainly not what I write.  Because I knew that's how some would see it, as beneath them.

In the end it doesn't matter at all.  But yeah, a little bit disappointing to see my suspicions confirmed.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #3005 on: July 04, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »

I basically just got told by someone I worked closely with in another fandom, when I explained some of why I have been absent (Star Wars, Kylo Ren), what amounts to, "You could do so much better than THAT!"

I know some people don't like Ren's character, and I get why.  But somehow that tone from someone that I like (and I still do...this was someone who by their own admission is sometimes too blunt and doesn't mean any harm by it)...even KNOWING that they almost certainly didn't mean anything personal...

It just kinda bothers me a bit.  This is why I didn't share the details of my new fandom, of where I am now, all of what I do, and certainly not what I write.  Because I knew that's how some would see it, as beneath them.

In the end it doesn't matter at all.  But yeah, a little bit disappointing to see my suspicions confirmed.

The director said he didn't want people to want Kylo to be restored. He wanted people to hate him. Most people may be doing what the director wanted the audience to do, while you may be picking up on things he intends to refocus on later. We shall see. I see things about Vader in a different light after knowing he was Anakin etc. Such as when he didn't give the order to destroy Alderaan. There are places where we don't know if he's in that mask scowling or crying. The first time Anakin says, "Yes, my master." to Palpatine, it's like he's in defeat. He's given up.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3006 on: July 04, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »

I feel--personally--like most people are probably seeing a surface layer, which the director intends them to see.  But I will say I take anything JJ Abrams with a boulder of salt given that he swore up and down that "John Harrison" was in NO way Khan Noonien Singh.  He's very good at keeping back plot twists and even lying outright, so we'll see.  I feel like there was a lot going on below the obvious surface layer.

I know people will disagree.  I guess it was just the source that struck me a bit deeper this time.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #3007 on: July 04, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »

I feel that, DJ.

When a "friend" of mine found out I was into TFA, especially Kylo Ren, this is what she said:

"Why are you into the dopey-faced tantrum baby?"

I just . . . wow.  I started to remind her of her obsession with trolls and snake monsters, but somehow, I managed to be mature.  Sort of.  Okay, maybe I said something about her obsession with their *insert deleted because forum inappropriate here*, but she made me, okay.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3008 on: July 04, 2016, 11:43:27 PM »

I held myself back from that because I don't feel like torpedoing my relations with that person.  Let's just say there's enough of a history between us to know we can endure even really severe disagreements.  They hasn't rejected me even after seeing the worst of my inner Knight of Ren multiple times--complete losses of all composure--so there's something there I don't want to turn my back on over what's ultimately not that important.

It smarts...but it's not the end of the world.  And I think there are ways I'll be able to use these emotions in writing exactly what I won't share with them, anyway.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3009 on: July 05, 2016, 02:29:04 AM »

I actually like fireworks. It's fun to pretend Picket's Charge is going on outside. Cheesy

I can't really get too close though, anymore, since I've developed chronic tinnitus the last couple years. I'd have such a ringing I wouldn't be able to hear for two days!

Also, this is my dog right now(only thing I don't like about fireworks:

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3010 on: July 05, 2016, 02:39:22 AM »

I actually like fireworks. It's fun to pretend Picket's Charge is going on outside. Cheesy

I can't really get too close though, anymore, since I've developed chronic tinnitus the last couple years. I'd have such a ringing I wouldn't be able to hear for two days!

Also, this is my dog right now(only thing I don't like about fireworks:

To all owners of dogs and cats who are terrified of fireworks, I strongly urge you to invest in a Thundershirt.

They are excellent at what they do and can help a dog or cat keep calm and happy.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3011 on: July 05, 2016, 02:55:47 AM »

Nice idea, but my dog would NEVER let us put anything like that on him.(it involves touching him  in a place he does not allow anyone to, the stomach)

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3012 on: July 05, 2016, 03:00:50 AM »

Life will often whisper in my ear: "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."

Well, screw you. I AM the storm.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #3013 on: July 05, 2016, 05:36:20 AM »

That's it. I'm sick of winter. I'm sick of the cold wind blowing in the front door at my work and having to stand there and deal with it. Also sick of my manager saying 'its not as cold today!" That's because you haven't been standing here in the open doorway the last four hours, you've been able to retreat to the heated office! Angry

I hate the cold. Bring back summer. I'd rather deal with a 40C day than this 15C nonsense anytime.

Dunno how you snowy country ppl do it. Yes I know, it's because you are used to it. But stuff that!

*sits in a huddled lump sipping hot chocolate and feeling miserable*

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3014 on: July 05, 2016, 05:54:13 AM »

That's it. I'm sick of winter. I'm sick of the cold wind blowing in the front door at my work and having to stand there and deal with it. Also sick of my manager saying 'its not as cold today!" That's because you haven't been standing here in the open doorway the last four hours, you've been able to retreat to the heated office! Angry

Ugh, I've had greeting duty in a store with a northward facing entrance so the wind made sure to give us a cold blast every time the door opened in the winter.  (Guess that problem would be with a south-facing entrance, for you...?)

I hate the cold. Bring back summer. I'd rather deal with a 40C day than this 15C nonsense anytime.

Dunno how you snowy country ppl do it. Yes I know, it's because you are used to it. But stuff that!

*sits in a huddled lump sipping hot chocolate and feeling miserable*

Amen!  I completely understand.

Today it was in the lower 90's outside (somewhere between 32-35, for you), and I was generally okay outside until a thunderstorm got close enough that I had to go inside.  Of course once I got in, the cold from the AC was awful.  Fortunately I'd brought a sweater just in case. O_O  Yeah, 90-degree temps outside and I have to come equipped with a sweater for the INDOOR climate.  That's MY vent.  There is NO reason to make it like a meat locker inside, even when it's 100 outside.  That does not mean we need a 40-degree temperature differential between indoors and out.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: