Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306837 times)
Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3345 on: August 14, 2016, 04:37:04 AM »

Ugh, some people are so tacky.  Just because you're too young and immature to a) remember a disaster, or b) appreciate how deeply it affects those of us who were old enough to remember, doesn't give you a right to tell your elders to "stop being butthurt about it," and who think that horrible things are hilarious YouTube entertainment.

Yeah, because I would totally tell my nearly 100-year-old grandparents to stop being "butthurt" about the equally awful things that happened during THEIR lifetimes.

Millennials.  I'm embarrassed to even be on the VERY tip of that generation.  Makes me almost want some of THEM to experience the worst in life and see things they will never forget.  But then, I actually appreciate the magnitude of such things to recognize why I shouldn't wish that on anybody.

So true. My granny, now 90, is still penny pinching to this day. I've seen just how much is in her accounts! But she lived in a great depression. It was never beneath her to shop at the discount marts. My grandpa served in WWII, she remembers going long periods of time not hearing anything! People freak the flunk out if they go 20 mins without checking their social media feeds! And that kinda poop is petty compared to someone's life: husbands, brothers, etc.
My friend who went to the Marines when I was supposed to go to the Navy, was in boot camp when 9/11 happened. Could just as much been both of us going, but I told him, Dude, please, listen to your leaders. He was, still is, the type that is no man left behind, I'll be the first to go. I was dreading see his gf, now wife's, phone number come up. I feared him being dead. It's f'd him up bad, he's had hard times, but what he's seen, what I've heard, you can't put that in a movie, or book, and get the sense of what he and many others felt and saw. Looking into his eyes while he's telling me things, it's dark; just can't imagine how much fear they must've been in.
So yeah while I don't like recruiters stalking like prey on high schools, plucking "kids" out and expecting them to make life or death situational decisions so early in life, I do respect those who fight for freedom. Something i once signed up for, but won't dare do nowadays. Is it because I'm selfish, no, I have a family here that depends on me. Look at the world, we live in a great world! Stop with the whole shootings here, and bombings here, and were all in trouble from terrorism and copycat killers. Folks, you know what you're most likely to die from, by a landslide? Car accidents. Yet, we get in them everyday, text, go on social media, talk, eat in them. I don't have the stats with me, but you're chances of ever getting in a disaster are far less, by a country mile, than you dying in a car accident, or for those who are eco friendly, even getting killed while riding your bike to work. The facts are out there, stop being sheep kiddies, are letting politicians scare you into thinking that we are going to hell in a hand basket

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3346 on: August 14, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »

Ugh, some people are so tacky.  Just because you're too young and immature to a) remember a disaster, or b) appreciate how deeply it affects those of us who were old enough to remember, doesn't give you a right to tell your elders to "stop being butthurt about it," and who think that horrible things are hilarious YouTube entertainment.

Yeah, because I would totally tell my nearly 100-year-old grandparents to stop being "butthurt" about the equally awful things that happened during THEIR lifetimes.

Millennials.  I'm embarrassed to even be on the VERY tip of that generation.  Makes me almost want some of THEM to experience the worst in life and see things they will never forget.  But then, I actually appreciate the magnitude of such things to recognize why I shouldn't wish that on anybody.

Nothing is considered sacred or off limits anymore.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #3347 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »

This past weekend was KCCC (Kansas City Comic-Con.)

I got spend the weekend working a booth for our Starfleet International group, the USS Valiant, collecting donations for Harvesters.  This was all good.

My vent however is about some of the costumes/cosplay that I witnessed.  As an American Male, I do love some Slave Leia costuming, however as a parent and grandparent I need to know, would it kill some of the girls who commit to the costume, to wear underwear under the skirt?  A thong or a t-back, or some flesh toned something?  I don't need to know everything your gynecologist knows about you when you turn too suddenly or kneel down for a photo.  There were no fewer that three different Leia's that I felt I knew almost as intimately as I know my wife after seeing their lack of costume.

I'm all for skimpy costumes, I'm all for no body shame, but for for the love of all that's holy, please check yourself in a mirror from several angles to be sure you aren't giving children anatomy and human sexuality lessons on a con floor.

I'm not even going to get into the men in MorphSuits with their parts just as visible behind skin tight fabric that I could tell their religion...

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3348 on: August 15, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »

Oh my goodness.

I have a feeling the cons I go to (only 2000-3000 people) would kick someone out for that if security saw them or someone reported it to security.  Did you say anything to security and do you think they'd do anything about it if a costume crossed the line into indecent exposure?

And man, I am glad I NEVER do costumes like that.  My primary concerns in a cosplay (outside of looking cool) are warmth, and modesty.  Those two, of course, tend to go hand in hand!

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3349 on: August 15, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »

"Damn kids and their music." - Peter Griffon

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3350 on: August 15, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »

"Get off my damned lawn" - Generic old man.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3351 on: August 15, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »

"Get off my damned lawn" - Generic old man.

I'm not even in my later 30's yet, but I will fully own that.

Not generic old man (NSFW--language):

https://youtu.be/NelBNtNm8l0

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3352 on: August 15, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »

I'm not even in my later 30's yet, but I will fully own that.

Not generic old man (NSFW--language):

https://youtu.be/NelBNtNm8l0

What are you trying to say?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3353 on: August 15, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

I am crotchety and "old" despite my young age.  That, and I can't hear "Get off my lawn" without hearing Clint Eastwood say it.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

JEStucker
Knight Commander

« Reply #3354 on: August 15, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »

Oh my goodness.

I have a feeling the cons I go to (only 2000-3000 people) would kick someone out for that if security saw them or someone reported it to security.  Did you say anything to security and do you think they'd do anything about it if a costume crossed the line into indecent exposure?

And man, I am glad I NEVER do costumes like that.  My primary concerns in a cosplay (outside of looking cool) are warmth, and modesty.  Those two, of course, tend to go hand in hand!

The Con staff were aware, the people who own the venue were aware, and two or three local police officers were aware.  No one wanted to cause a scene by asking a paying guest to leave I guess, because the police officers just smiled at each other when they saw her, the representatives from the venue said it was up to the convention staff, and believe me, they were trying to do something, but some people know how to be elusive in a crowd.  We (myself and a few others from various other booths) have written to the people that were actually running the convention, not just their volunteer floor staff, regarding their apparently lax costuming rules and perhaps their need to make the con an 18 and over event... we've also sent a few choice pictures of said offenders to them as well for evidence and reference.

Dominix v2 Fire Orange

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3355 on: August 15, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »

I am crotchety and "old" despite my young age.  That, and I can't hear "Get off my lawn" without hearing Clint Eastwood say it.

No you said you're "not even in your late 30's yet". I'm not even in my late 30's yet. I'm not old.

Sig by For Tyeth

JEStucker
Knight Commander

« Reply #3356 on: August 15, 2016, 10:33:32 PM »

I'm 41 and find myself agreeing more and more with the "Stay off my lawn" set now, and you know what, I'm perfectly fine with that.  I was taught respect and reverence for events, for those who serve, for our history, no matter how offensive it may be considered to someone today.  You know what, sometimes $h*t happens, acknowledge it, learn from it, respect those who endured it.

Dominix v2 Fire Orange

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3357 on: August 15, 2016, 11:12:16 PM »

We can't police everyone, as much as we might want to at times. If I had seen this, I know I'd think a few things. One would obviously be wow!!! As rules of attraction go, wow! Another would be are there kids around who might be too young for this, if so, notify someone of inappropriateness. Then, I'd think, if they're putting it all out there like that, you make your own bed. If that's the attention you seek, don't cry sexism later. Don't cry over being objectified.
I have had the conversation with my gay and his friends, and I truly believe this, that media has made gay men appear as flamers. Hardly ever do you see a non-feminine like gay man. Women, portrayed as trophies guys should want to collect. And a independent woman is seen as a B!+ch or desperate and seeking love, any which way but loose

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #3358 on: August 16, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »

I'm not even going to get into the men in MorphSuits with their parts just as visible behind skin tight fabric that I could tell their religion...

Dance belts exist for a reason.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3359 on: August 16, 2016, 12:13:02 AM »

Wonder how many people know that exists.  I had no idea how all those Olympic athletes and dancers managed kept the goods from being seen on TV until now.

Now, I do think there are limits when it comes to "they asked for it."  Rude opinions and remarks, yes.  But even the most awful outfits do not invite assault.  I think we should be very clear on that.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: