Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306835 times)
Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4245 on: January 27, 2017, 05:51:24 AM »

Haha, I never liked Anne of Green Gables. I used to watch Little House on the Prairie all the time.

I really loved Little House in the Prairie. One of the all time best TV shows ever created and a lifetime favorite of mine.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #4246 on: January 27, 2017, 06:00:19 AM »

It would be great if the answer was as easy as "failure's just had no discipline"...but it isn't.  Sure it is probably a large percentage but there are so many people out there busting their humps in school or their job (sometimes Jobs) but for whatever reason will never be as successful as others.  And that is fine, but does that mean those people should be looked down on or not given some type of opportunity to live.  Not to live lavishly but at least be able to pay their bills without killing themselves.  The issue is a lot wider than either side of the argument wishes to address I feel.  I know this because I'm one of those people.  

http://littlehouse.wikia.com/wiki/Nellie_Oleson_Dalton

And when it comes to school, some people just don't meld with how its taught to them. Either its presented to them wrong, or they are actually extremely intelligent and it's too easy so they muck around and therefore ultimately fail, or it's just not their thing, or it's a bit hard for them and they don't get the support they need to work through it. Not getting good grades in schooling by no means automatically means that someone is stupid or a failure at life. I know many people who were average at school but been very successful outside of it, whether that means they are successful in their career or their hobby. Academic style learning ain't for everyone.

And some things just don't click for people. Take me. I'm an environmental scientist by degree. Environmental biology and ecology I can do. Most maths and science I can do and love. But anything with human biology? Fail. Utter fail. Weather science I struggle with even though I like it, and statistics? Omg it took me an entire semester at uni to figure out the first basic principle and even then I barely passed the unit by the skin of my teeth when it's an extremely important thing for a scientist to know. Yet I can do basic calculus and geometry and trigonometry without hassles.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4247 on: January 27, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »

I fully agree that the method of teaching/learning is paramount, and that not everyone learns the same way.  It isn't a reflection of capacity though, but of desire to know it.  If you want something bad enough, you do what needs to be done to get there. 

I struggled in stats a whole bunch as well (chemical engineering technology), but the math and chemistry parts came easily.

It works for anything though.

A person wants something bad enough - I mean really wants it, they find a way.  Be it being a chem tech, engineer, bio tech, or getting promoted at the factory you work at...I mean even a paperboy can earn a better route...

Granted some people just don't have that capacity (not everyone can be a neurosurgeon), but we all can do our best, and find ways to improve - even if they need to be unorthodox, or strange.

Beats the heck out of sitting around waiting for things to get better, or allowing others to "fix" things.

(Sorry for the references Tongue)

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #4248 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:01 PM »

I fully agree that the method of teaching/learning is paramount, and that not everyone learns the same way.  It isn't a reflection of capacity though, but of desire to know it.  If you want something bad enough, you do what needs to be done to get there. 

I struggled in stats a whole bunch as well (chemical engineering technology), but the math and chemistry parts came easily.

It works for anything though.

A person wants something bad enough - I mean really wants it, they find a way.  Be it being a chem tech, engineer, bio tech, or getting promoted at the factory you work at...I mean even a paperboy can earn a better route...

Granted some people just don't have that capacity (not everyone can be a neurosurgeon), but we all can do our best, and find ways to improve - even if they need to be unorthodox, or strange.

Beats the heck out of sitting around waiting for things to get better, or allowing others to "fix" things.

(Sorry for the references Tongue)

Yeah. Waiting for everything to come to you and just magically work out, doesn't tend to happen too much in real life. Hubby has a friend like that. Isn't getting many hours at work atm coz the work just isn't available (he's a casual) but instead of actively looking for work elsewhere since he's broke, he just says nah nah, something will come along. Then when he is given one of those something opportunities by someone trying to do right by him, he goes and kriffs it up and ruins any chance of a repeat opportunity.

Sadly, you gotta work for stuff you want. Do the hard yakka. And as you said if you want something badly enough and are willing to do whatever it takes to get there, then you have a much larger chance of succeeding.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4249 on: January 27, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »

Does anyone ever REALLY like a jedi?
Yes....they make excellent target practice.

Anyone of the Sith variety, probably not, for the rest, we keep order in the galaxy, so bound to get a lot sneers from those who are naughty, like the Sith...
You go with the title "Lord" (MTL short for Dark Lord) and you consider yourself a Jedi?

It would be great if the answer was as easy as "failure's just had no discipline"...but it isn't.  Sure it is probably a large percentage but there are so many people out there busting their humps in school or their job (sometimes Jobs) but for whatever reason will never be as successful as others.  And that is fine, but does that mean those people should be looked down on or not given some type of opportunity to live.  Not to live lavishly but at least be able to pay their bills without killing themselves.  The issue is a lot wider than either side of the argument wishes to address I feel.  I know this because I'm one of those people. 
And when it comes to school, some people just don't meld with how its taught to them. Either its presented to them wrong, or they are actually extremely intelligent and it's too easy so they muck around and therefore ultimately fail, or it's just not their thing, or it's a bit hard for them and they don't get the support they need to work through it. Not getting good grades in schooling by no means automatically means that someone is stupid or a failure at life. I know many people who were average at school but been very successful outside of it, whether that means they are successful in their career or their hobby. Academic style learning ain't for everyone.

And some things just don't click for people. Take me. I'm an environmental scientist by degree. Environmental biology and ecology I can do. Most maths and science I can do and love. But anything with human biology? Fail. Utter fail. Weather science I struggle with even though I like it, and statistics? Omg it took me an entire semester at uni to figure out the first basic principle and even then I barely passed the unit by the skin of my teeth when it's an extremely important thing for a scientist to know. Yet I can do basic calculus and geometry and trigonometry without hassles.
I'm not saying that anyone is deserving of perpetual failure. Not unless they never outgrow the mindset that the world owes them everything they want. My gripe is with people not trying and then getting upset by their "inexplicable" failure. Failure can be a very powerful motivator. Imagine wear we would be if we gave up because we couldn't master walking the first time or even the tenth time trying. Failure that comes from a genuine effort brings attention to problems. I like my father before me am ADHD. But unlike me he was raised in a time when his behavior was simply passed over as laziness. He is by no means stupid, and anything but lazy. He just didn't have the proper stimulus to learn. I however grew up in an age where people had noticed the trend and decided to look into the problem they noticed. But it still wasn't fixed. Even today, there are those that believe that ADHD is a made-up 20th century ailment, because the it affects those with it on an individual basis.

All I'm saying is that handing out participation trophies makes the situation worse, as kids don't learn how to accept failure and to subsequently overcome it. Programs like No Child Left Behind are undoubtedly making this country (and possibly the world) dumber. They don't focus on making sure the kids know the material, they dummy down the requirements so that even a retarded lemming could pass. They have the mentality that "I showed up to class, I should at least get a B for that."

And I agree with Lord R. Not everyone is cut out for advanced degrees that lead to prestigious titles and careers. There's the old college saying, "The world needs ditch diggers, too." Yes the work may suck and be undesirable to most, but if you do the best work you can do, at whatever you do, there is no shame in menial labor.

AH. Thanks. Was never a huge fan of that show. Only ever watched one or two episodes. But i LOVED Anne of Green Gables though (probably because I have a thing for redheads)
So do I, but that girl just annoyed to poop outta me.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4250 on: January 27, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »

You go with the title "Lord" (MTL short for Dark Lord) and you consider yourself a Jedi?

Yes, it's true, Darth Logos, I do consider myself a Jedi, a Gray Jedi that is, and not all Lords are Dark Lords of the Sith.  Jedi can be Lords, too.  In fact, Lord, was a title, often of nobility, that applied to certain individuals having power and authority over others. It's the Sith who decided to take something of nobility and turn it into darkness by adopting the "Dark Lord" title themselves.

Here's more...

During the hundred year period between 1100 and 1000 BBY, Jedi Knights seeking to assist worlds left undefended by the Galactic Republic became so revered that the citizens of the worlds they defended gave them castles and manors from which to conduct their business. Over the decades, these Jedi took the title Lord and effectively ruled their constituent systems for a solid century before renouncing their titles in the years following the Ruusan Reformation.

The Jedi Lord was first seen used in the Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II computer game. It was the highest possible rank to be acquired as a light Jedi.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4251 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:17 PM »

During the hundred year period between 1100 and 1000 BBY, Jedi Knights seeking to assist worlds left undefended by the Galactic Republic became so revered that the citizens of the worlds they defended gave them castles and manors from which to conduct their business. Over the decades, these Jedi took the title Lord and effectively ruled their constituent systems for a solid century before renouncing their titles in the years following the Ruusan Reformation.
You're referring to Lord Hoth, aren't you? From Path of Destruction?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #4252 on: January 27, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

Sorry Darth Logos, you've been schooled.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4253 on: January 27, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »

Considering that there wasn't much explanation of the title in that series, it's easy to pass it off as a bad idea that never stuck. Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4254 on: January 27, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »

You're referring to Lord Hoth, aren't you? From Path of Destruction?

Considering that there wasn't much explanation of the title in that series, it's easy to pass it off as a bad idea that never stuck. Tongue

Oh, Darth Logos  Cheesy   As Sithy as ever... Only the Sith think in absolutes.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4255 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »

Oh, Darth Logos  Cheesy   As Sithy as ever... Only the Sith think in absolutes.
That's because there are only absolutes. Something either is or isn't. What matters is how specific one is in criteria. If something is blue, then it isn't red. Now whether it is AB vs. GB remains to be seen, but it absolutely isn't red. Cool

Sig by For Tyeth

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4256 on: January 27, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »

That's because there are only absolutes. Something either is or isn't. What matters is how specific one is in criteria. If something is blue, then it isn't red. Now whether it is AB vs. GB remains to be seen, but it absolutely isn't red. Cool

Speaking in your terms, I am both a Jedi and a Lord, absolutely.   Cool

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4257 on: January 27, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »

Speaking in your terms, I am both a Jedi and a Lord, absolutely.   Cool
But a Jedi is selfless and a Lord is entitled, so which are you?

Sig by For Tyeth

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4258 on: January 27, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »

But a Jedi is selfless and a Lord is entitled, so which are you?

A Dark Lord does act entitled, yes. A Jedi Lord does not. Being a Lord does not make you entitled unless you're a Sith, and then that entitlement is only in your mind. Much to learn you still have.  Cheesy

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4259 on: January 27, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »

A Dark Lord does act entitled, yes. A Jedi Lord does not. Being a Lord does not make you entitled unless you're a Sith, and then that entitlement is only in your mind. Much to learn you still have.  Cheesy
Where do you think the word 'entitleed' comes from? Lord is a title. Ergo, my logic stands. Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: